Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Is there anything better than iTunes for synchronising on an iphone

I find itunes very restrictive and unecessarily complex for what I need. Namely - contacts, photo's, texts, alarms, calendar and probably a few other things that I can't remember now.

I would like a snapshot of my iphone and decide what to sync and how often. The problem I have with itunes is that it is geared to music and podcasts etc. As a business user it is rubbish and I have to keep messing around with folders to get it to sync and even then my photo's are 'optimised' which just means loss of detail due to compression.

In the 'old days' my trusty Sony Ericsson software asked just what do you want to sync from the phone and it just worked. Backups of the entire phone were scheduled weekly but the important stuff, everytime I connect.

Also it would be fair to have a choice of software rather than the monopoly that is apple. Competition creates innovation in my opinion.
    What if the Hokey Cokey "IS" what it's all about?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is there anything better than iTunes for synchronising on an iphone

you probably own the wrong phone, for you to be honest. I like the iTunes integration but I can see how other people don't. There are some 3rd party sync apps but none work as well and if anything they are even more geared up to media sync, so not what you want/need

You can turn off music sync etc and just have calendars contacts etc. You can also recover your photos directly from the device... I use the Image Capture app in Mac OS X
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

If its jailbroken you could give PKGBackup a go and set it to save to a dropbox.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem is that I love my iphone and would not swap it for anything out there at the moment. I just thought that maybe someone has brought out an app that is more usefull to me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Fear but it's not jb but I might consider it from what you have said. I use dropbox anyway.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pete252 View Post
    Thanks Fear but it's not jb but I might consider it from what you have said. I use dropbox anyway.
    You have nothing to lose if you jail break,if you don't like it just restore phone back to factory settings

This is done through iTunes surprise,surprise

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I sound like a complete poof in this thread - just re read it. Hey Ho Welcome to the Internet.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Men View Post
    You have nothing to lose if you jail break,if you don't like it just restore phone back to factory settings

This is done through iTunes surprise,surprise
    But I will lose all my contacts, txts, calendars, apps, etc. Surely.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pete252 View Post
    But I will lose all my contacts, txts, calendars, apps, etc. Surely.
    Not if you sync /back up phone before jail breaking, hence if you were to restore all your contacts would be synced back on phone with factory settings

Thanks
    Karma Level

have a look at google sync to manage your contacts, calendar and email (assuming you use gmail that is) then as a minimum you only need itunes for music movies and apps

personally although i use a mac and itunes is tightly integrated I use google sync, I dont even need to sync to my macbook to keep my contacts or calendar up to date because it does it over the air and saves all your stuff in the cloud. Plus then when you get a new device, apple or otherwise all you do is pop in your details and its got all your contacts and calendar set up and ready to go which for me replaces a lot of the itunes iphone management.

Because I have it set up to manage contacts, calendar and email i only have to sync with itunes to add or remove music, video or photos, although as said you could roll dropbox into it, personally I'd stick with itunes simply down to its ease of use and its feature set, it would be hard to replace even with some of the best itunes alternatives regardless of OS

there are other options to itunes but the only one I can think of is amarok but that's for debian and I never got it working with my 3g only my old ipod video -in truth i've not even tried it with the 4g so it could have got better

hth

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Casio I will look into that, some very interesting info there.