Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Cape Wrath, Kearvaig and Durness

Earlier this month, a good mate (Graham) and I went up to Cape Wrath and Kearvaig in the North Western most tip of Scotland on a cycling jaunt. Having not cycled for many years (err.. about 10), I decided to get myself in shape about 6 months ago so we could do this. Was quite a success.

Here's where Kearvaig is
    kearvaig, scotland - Google Maps

As you can imagine, I took the camera with me armed with just my 18-55 Kit lens and my Canon 10-22mm. I've posted a smallish selection of my favourite ones here.

It's a bit mad but most of them are of Kearvaig beach (the last beach on the British mainland before Canada) and some of the road we cycled across to cape wrath. We had a lot more rain than sun so the camera was wisely kept locked away in a dry sack. Result of this is not actually very much shots of cycling lol. Hopefully next year when we head back.

You can either view the rest of them directly at my gallery: -- http://ipc.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Ca...158186_pbfxVGR or via The Youtube Video here. It is available in 720p (supposedly according to YouTube). Click the YOUTUBE link in the bottom right to watch in a larger window as opposed to on the forums. I'd advise only expanding it using the upside down L shaped expander handle (if it isn't already expanded) as opposed to going full screen (four arrows) as this softens the images a lot. I've put a couple of tracks over it by Mike Oldfield. Just some typical celtic type music that I rather like

It's about 9 mins long so if you don't want to watch via the video, have a nose at them within the gallery instead I must admit, I love the sunset shots here. Plus one of the things we noticed is that up there, yo uactually get formed clouds, not the total blanket of grey we get down here in the NW of England. There's actually some detail in the sky.

YouTube - ‪Cape Wrath and Durness Cycling‬‏

Lots of choices where to go

A flat part of the road on Cape Wrath

The very far tip of mainland Britain - This is the Atlantic Ocean here

Kearvaig Beach and the Mountain Bothy in the background

Stack Clo - Otherwise known as Cathedral Rock

Kearvaig Beach looking towards Stack Clo

End of Days - Sunset towards the Cape Wrath tip

Another of the sunset this one with the sun just peeking through a natural chink in the rock

11:30pm - It didn't get any darker than this. So much for star trails

Graham and I at Kearvaig the next morning just before climbing about 400ft up a rock strewn track with the bikes. Who would have thought you'd get beaches like that in Scotland? For those whom don't know, I'm the one on the right in this image.

The mountain bothy we stayed in on the first night. Very well maintained as well.

Shot of Graham just picking his bike up after we'd had a brief break. Mine on the floor is actually 10 years old, nothing special (Saracen Nzyme) but had hardly been used. It did me proud. Didn't fall apart or rattle. In fact it was pretty darn solid on parts of that road that were actually in very poor condition. Shots here are of the good bits . I'll be upgrading to something much more capable next year.

The Kyle of Durness - We had to get a small motorboat ferry over this to to get to and from the Cape Wrath peninsula

Durness beach. Durness is on the north coast of Scotland

...and here we have the weather front moving in during Sunset. This is on the other side of the Kyle of Durness. You can just about see the rain. (ps, if this is too dark to see anything on your monitor, you have it set too dark

Rainbows, Clouds... which brought LOTS of rain

Last edited by dpSparhawk; 22nd May 2011 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cape Wrath, Kearvaig and Durness

A fantastic set Ian - the landscape is incredible and you have done you effort and journey great justice.

I am particularly impressed with the End of Days sunset images - the two orange ones - superb colours and framing with the dropping sun perfectly positioned within your composition.

Thanks for sharing - I am pleased it has been such a success for you.

Paul.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

some nice shots there, looks like a top trip, shame about the gay music on the video...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers mate. It was a sight to behold. When we first made our way down a crazy track towards the bothy, we couldn't see anything till we rounded a bend and just got an in your face view of the bothy, beach and tip of the country. 10 minutes earlier we'd had a weather front come in that saw the rain slamming into us sideways lol. It moved out and then we just got glorious sun.

The sunset was superb.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by peterc4 View Post
    some nice shots there, looks like a top trip, shame about the gay music on the video...

ROFLMAO... It is rather gay I suppose although I will state very strongly here that there was absolutely NO Brokeback crap going on..

Anyway, I'd put the vid together hastily. I tried a few different tracks. Some of them some trance by Andy Blueman, some rock based ones.. in the end, settled for some Mike Oldfield because it seemed the trance ones were too much (although I'm trying a different one right now.. lol) and I didn't think rock worked but if you have any suggestions? .. lol it's easily changed. I

Cheers Pete.

I'd highly recommend you head over there. I know you like getting out and about.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 22nd May 2011 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just because Pete thinks the Mike Oldfield is gay (it is a bit lol), here's one with Neverland - Energetic Mix by Andy Blueman mixed over. Probably no better but I could try different tracks forever and a day.

Anyway, don't want to view via video, hit the gallery link in the first post Wrapped in spoiler tags just to compress down

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

wo wo wo wo woooooooooo, just let me nip out and get a couple of e's ffs, will have to go to a lonely car park at 2 in the morning of my cake and have a look on my laptop.. behave now and lets try some back in black ac-dc nice and low..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol Peter. Fk off . I'm happy with a bit of ACDC but I do that and you know someone else will complain . Here's an idea. Watch the Vid mute the sound .

Thanks
    Karma Level

really nice them mate, especially the sunsets, well worth the trip I'd say.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Cliff.

The sunset there was phenomonal to be honest. Can't wait to do it all again

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo_baggin View Post
    I am particularly impressed with the End of Days sunset images - the two orange ones - superb colours and framing with the dropping sun perfectly positioned within your composition.
    I agree with Paul on this Ian, those two are stonking shots!

..and I'm sure I recognise your face from somewhere

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by musado View Post
    I agree with Paul on this Ian, those two are stonking shots!

..and I'm sure I recognise your face from somewhere

Hahaha, indeed mate indeed you do .

Cheers bud, much appreciated. It's a very cool place and I could have stayed there so much longer if we'd had the time.

In fact, had I taken my Macro lens I doubt we would have got very far at all hehe

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fabulous set mate, that last one with the rainbow is epic, really impressive mate.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

incredible shots mate! Looks an amazing place might have to have a trip up there.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Carl, Chesser. hehe nice to see the thread has now detracted from Peters critique on the video.. lolol.

has anyone had a nose within the gallery at the rest? Some decent shots in there too.. just didn't want to put all 67 images on the forums..lol.. Either that or you could venture into watching the video hehe

Chesser, do it mate. You have to drive up to Durness as the furthest train goes to Lairg. Either that or drive along the east coast up to wick and then come across the north coastal road. There's a ferry that goes over the Kyle of Durness. £5.50 return or £7.50 return for cyclists. The ferryman (whom you can see in the gallery) is the first independant ferryman across the Kyle since the 1800's and has been doing it for 28 years.

Here's a shameless addition of other shots I didn't initially put in the thread.

Random Welly! - This was towards the back of the beach were you get the washed up seaweed, driftwood etc.. I imagine it's a fishermans boot.

Footsteps - had to be done

Smoo Cave Inlet

Durness Beach - The cloud formations up there are fantastic
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 27th May 2011 at 08:58 PM.