Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Call of Duty Elite : TheLegendofKarl Trailer

The first details of Activision's much rumoured Call of Duty subscription service - set to be launched in tandem with Modern Warfare 3 - were finally revealed today.
    The online service, entitled Call of Duty Elite, offers a range of features and perks for the more hardcore followers of the franchise.

Extra map packs, a Facebook-inspired social networking facility and a Halo Waypoint-style performance tracker are all part of the package - as well as all-new tournaments in which you can win real and digital prizes.

However, not all of it will be free. Activision has craftily left us hanging on details, but has confirmed that a premium, paid-for subscription element will be optional for CoD's more hardcore fans.

The prospect of an online subscription for Call of Duty has long been rumoured.

Infinity Ward was quick to stress that "multiplayer will always be equal and free for everyone as always" as far as Modern Warfare 2 is concerned back in 2009.

Now it looks like we are seeing the first glimpses of a service that Activision said two years ago will "enhance the multiplayer experience and provide exclusive access to a group of gameplay enhancements," including "early access to expansions and betas, exclusive character skins, game modes, enhanced stat tracking and "support for competitive play."

Sign up for the Call of Duty Elite Beta here http://www.callofduty.com/elite

Call of Duty: Elite is free for all players, and there will be an optional premium membership.
    The core functionality of Elite is free — any Call of Duty player will be able to log in and use it for no charge. Additional offerings above and beyond the core stuff will come with a fee. The simplest and best analogy I can think of is television. You can watch NBC, CBS, and ABC all you want, just for the price of buying a TV. However, if you want more — Comedy Central or HBO or NBA League Pass — then you subscribe to a cable or satellite service to get those extra programs. You don’t have to; it’s a question of whether or not you want to see those other shows. If you’re happy with your usual high-quality network television, keep on enjoying it. If you want more content from your TV, you can choose to subscribe to more. Does that make it seem less terrifying?

Premium membership pricing has not been announced.
    The fee (and exactly what you will get for it) has not been determined. The team says details will be coming later this summer on exactly what you get and how much that extra stuff will cost. But it’s supposed to be competitive with other digital enteratainment services. Until a real price is announced, if you’re looking for a ballpark, Netflix was name-checked by the Wall Street Journal (which was positively obsessed with the paid portion of the service and kind of ignored all the other stuff), and Netflix is $7.99/month.

DLC will be available as part of Elite as well as a standalone download.
    Again, nothing is being taken away and nothing is compulsory — you simply have another choice when it comes to getting DLC. You can buy COD DLC the traditional way — a map pack at a time — or you can automatically get the DLC as part of your Elite premium membership. Chacko Sonny, studio head of Beachhead, makes this extremely clear in an interview that is part of this week’s upcoming podcast: ”If you are the player who wants to purchase DLC seperately, that option is still there — you can go ahead and buy the DLC independent of the premium membership if you want. That said, if you want to purchase the premium membership, get the benefits that will be offered in terms of the features on Elite and get the DLC with it, it will be a great deal for you.”

COD Elite is NOT going to sell players competitive advantages with microtransactions.
    If you are worried about someone buying their way into Prestige or Activision selling people special weapons that they wouldn’t normally be able to earn through gameplay, don’t be — that’s not what Elite is about. ”We’re not doing anything like that,” Chacko Sonny says. “It’s not part of the plan.” (Also, for clarity, Elite is not the same thing as the COD free-to-play MMO currently being built for China. That’s a completely different project for a completely different country, and that’s the one that will use microtransactions.)

Elite has been in development for two years already.
    While Call of Duty: Elite has been designed to integrate into Modern Warfare 3, it has been developed over the last two years using live data from Black Ops. Everything you’ve done up to this point in Black Ops has been tracked, logged, and will be waiting for you the first time you get to try Elite for yourself.

You can access Elite from many devices.
    One of the goals is to let fans interact with Call of Duty when they’re not able to play it — at lunch, on a bus, whatever. If you’re thinking about it, why not pop in and see what’s new on your stats and leaderboards? The web interface is the most obvious way to access Elite, but mobile clients are in development too (hello, iPad), as are console-specific apps.

There is already a OneOfSwords group on COD: Elite.
    “I don’t play online because it’s just a bunch of kids/racists/racist kids” is a big (and fair) complaint I hear about COD online. Everybody would prefer to play with gamers who share their sensibilities and interests. So, the first thing I started playing with was the Groups function, which lets you find like-minded gamers and communicate with them. Pick any interest — gardening, zombies, juggling, your town, your school, your sports team — and then type it in. Ta da! You’ve joined a group, or created a new one — it’s just that word with a # in front of it. Anybody can join it just by saying “yeah, that’s me too.” Each group shares a comment wall, all their stats, and can easily organize community nights. Naturally I started a OneOfSwords group, which means everybody can see each other’s stats and laugh at mine. Ad since you can join up to 64 groups at the moment, well, when you get your chance to try Elite, you are required to join. And when will that be? Well…

There will be a free public beta this summer.
    Call of Duty: Elite will launch at the same time as Modern Warfare 3 — November 8, 2011, but a public beta will run this summer. Chacko Sonny says this is “not just a teaser, it’s a real beta” — that is, not a beta for marketing purposes the way game betas are sometimes used. The team is looking for how the community uses it and what they like and don’t like, as well as how the service handles the traffic of the COD community. Project Director Noah Heller says the beta will roll out in waves, so if you don’t get in right away, don’t panic — you’ll have more chances as the summer goes on as they open the beta wider and wider. However, he mentioned on my podcast that if you are already signed up at callofduty.com and you’ve been posting in the forums as a dedicated fan, that’s likely to get you in sooner rather than later. And of course, if Elite itself is free, the beta’s free too.
    Last edited by kracken; 31st May 2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: *typo

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Call of Duty Elite : TheLegendofKarl Trailer

I really hope this falls flat on its arse.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The groups thing sounds the best part of all that. Who gives a fuck about social integration. No chance would I ever pay monthly for all that crap but I think the kids with rich mummies and daddies will lap it up. I think it'll peter out though once the novelty wears off. It'd have to be better than what they're describing there to have any longevity. It's a no from me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mite actually put me' off buying the game and going for a competitor! I begrudge paying for live! I bet Microsoft will be getting a cut of the pie!

Thanks
    Karma Level

The main multiplayer will be free. This is pants why would I want to Facebook and play???

Who gives a fuck if you can join a group like " I pick my nose and eat it "

-=-AD=-

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Defo not for me and i hope it fails....
    I think that they are just testing the water and they will try to sneak more and more bits of the game over like the map packs etc to the subscription side of things so eventually you will have no alternative but to pay subs.
    Like scoobypatch said If this does happen i will just stop playing and find an alternative.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nope not interested EA`s online pass is bad enough and DLC on the xbox is getting out of hand I have just got to the point where I buy the game and that's it no add ons or anything else..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll use the halo analogy since i play that far more than cod. I paid 40 quid copy of reach and 30 quid for live each year, thats 70 quid for almost a year of gaming. Most people would spend more than that on a night out, so in reality gaming is a cheap hobby - especially if you play multiplayer games.

If they offered something better, like dedicated servers for example, i'd be quie happy paying a monthly cost for my online multiplayer, its nothing new to anyone who plays MMO's regularly.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What, so now it's fine to pay extra because it's cheaper than what you'd spend on a night out??
    I'll use the butter analogy here. I get a tub of butter on average once a fortnight at about £3 so about £78 quid a year for interesting toast. So in reality gaming is a cheap hobby.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

so as if the ranking system wasnt stacked badly enough against the new player you can now buy extras, and why would i want a fucking facebook page on this lol. ive played all the cods upto now, i wont be buying this. Bring on the battlefield 3

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think what's being missed here is there is nothing an Elite subscriber can buy that will give them an advantage on the MP playing field, and standard MP is still non-subscription. My concern is if it proves to be successful, there will be extra DLC available to paying subscribers, and while that is fine for those who want it, it also opens the flood gates - ergo if you want this exclusive DLC you are seeing and reading, then we want £X per month off you as well as the £game price and £XBL you're already forking out for, and like the map packs, people will want in, and end up lining their pockets. At the end of the day, no one is forced to subscribe, but let's face it - they know people aren't going to pay monthly *just* for groups, stats and FB integration - there's bound to be more planned and only time will tell.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    What, so now it's fine to pay extra because it's cheaper than what you'd spend on a night out??
    I'll use the butter analogy here. I get a tub of butter on average once a fortnight at about £3 so about £78 quid a year for interesting toast. So in reality gaming is a cheap hobby.
    Enjoy playing your tub of butter for two hours a night.

The point was gaming is a cheap hobby, 70 quid a year for hundreds/thousands of hours gameplay isn't going to break the bank.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol.
    I knew what your point was mate but you missed mine and that it was being an equally shit analogy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    Lol.
    I knew what your point was mate but you missed mine and that it was being an equally shit analogy.
    It wasn't an analogy, just another 360 game that i play - not a tub of lurpack!. if bungie turned around and offered more (such as dedicated servers), i'd be happy to pay monthly.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You seem to like my butter! Do ya want some?
    Sorry, I thought you said you were using the Halo analogy, but if you say it's not an analogy now then that's fine too.

It's this simple: you're saying that because gaming is cheap (and it is, I agree with you) it's ok to expect and/or accept to pay a subscription fee for extra services, yes? I just think that's a cop out excuse and comparing spending £70 on a night out was out there with the fairies. Bobbins analogy, hence my equally ridiculous one. But hey - if you're happy potentially forking out more then all's good. Personally, I wouldn't pay a monthly subscription for any individual game - dedicated servers or not.

Thanks
    Karma Level

fuck em i hate all EA games that require an online pass, it pisses me off. i buy games to play online and i pay to play online, so why should i have to enter or buy a pass to play online, dirt 3 i got a code to play online used once, not even played an online game yet, but my kids want to play it online with thier friends but i'm not buying more online passes just for them to play it once get beat and never play it again its a fucking joke. if you buy a game you should be able to play online without codes.
    i will never buy another EA game EVER!
    MY BROADBAND IS LIKE A FERRARI
    BUT FITTED WITH A ROBIN RELIANT ENGINE
    LOOKS GOOD BUT GOES NOWHERE!!