Close

Thread: Shingles!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Shingles!

Huge Neuralgia up my right arm and onto my shoulder since last Tuesday! I was pretty convinced this would turn into shingles and went to the Doc on Thursday at which point I had some blotches but no blisters. Friday the first blotches turned into blisters and started multiplying. They follow a nerve path so thumb then several largish clusters up my arm with the bulk on my upper arm. A couple of family members and various friends have had this and it is pretty variable but the pain is really severe late at night! I have just finished a 5 day course of Antivirals (Aciclovir) but am NOT going to start the Amitriptyline given me for the neuralgia, I understand that they and a couple of other antidepressants are prescribed for this kind of pain but I don't want to start them!
    Anyone have any experience of this and a good way of rebuilding my immune system as I recover?
    Normal opiate and NSAID formulations are pretty ineffective and in any case I'm already taking them for my hip.
    I am using a natural herbal formulation when the pain is at its worst which is thankfully mostly at night when I don't need the use of my brain!!
    As yet the blisters are not into leak/scab phase and I'm ready to deal with that as it happens
    Oh and. . . .woe is me!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Shingles!

Strange how shingles can differ person to person. I had it a few months back where it went from one side of my waiste and around accross my back with a few blisters on arms/legs. It bloody killed if I scratched/rubbed them but I left them alone and it went after a fortnight just leaving a dark scar like shape where the blisters had dried out.I feel for you if you get it as bad as reading symptoms on the Internet make out. I would have shot myself than have that. Not much help, but I can get access to a gun

Thanks to dainese

blaggard (28th June 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dainese View Post
    Strange how shingles can differ person to person. I had it a few months back where it went from one side of my waiste and around accross my back with a few blisters on arms/legs. It bloody killed if I scratched/rubbed them but I left them alone and it went after a fortnight just leaving a dark scar like shape where the blisters had dried out.I feel for you if you get it as bad as reading symptoms on the Internet make out. I would have shot myself than have that. Not much help, but I can get access to a gun
    I had it in the same area when I was 18 (12 years ago). It was more irritating than painful. The doctor gave me some stuff, can only compare it to nail varnish to paint on them. I also covered myself in camomile lotion. It went after 2 weeks. I still have faint scars now.

Thanks to Geko

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a mild case earlier in the year going from my shoulder/neck/head.Pain was just about tolerable with various pain meds.Took about 2 weeks to go fully and felt like someone had stabbed pencils all along my neck.

Thanks to Spennyboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

A friend of mine had shingles last year and suffered really badly. They gave him some stuff that was based on Chilli or mustard or something. The pain of this paste removed the pain of the shingles apparently. If you want me to put him in touch with you let me know.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks to maltloaf

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I had it in the same area when I was 18 (12 years ago). It was more irritating than painful. The doctor gave me some stuff, can only compare it to nail varnish to paint on them. I also covered myself in camomile lotion. It went after 2 weeks. I still have faint scars now.
    Yep I had it in that same area, when I was 15, some 22 years ago, again, i seem to remember it being more annoying than painful
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay in the porch!!!!

Thanks to k11jrp

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's really variable, Malty I'll see what happens when the blisters start to act up, currently the pain is neuralgia which is hard to block but if the herpes themselves become an issue I'll give you a shout. Cheers chaps.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

painful I found it! Got it from a sexual episode with a right unhygienic bird! You cant get it twice can you? its like an adult chicken pox I thought!
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DelTrotter View Post
    painful I found it! Got it from a sexual episode with a right unhygienic bird! You cant get it twice can you? its like an adult chicken pox I thought!
    That's not shingles which is reactivated chicken pox virus from an earlier chicken pox illness. Shingles is NOT contagious but the chicken pox virus is in the blisters which form the rash.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It never fully goes away so no you can't get it twice but it can flare up again lol Usually only returns if you're run down and your immune system is low thoI had it on my face last year. It felt like it followed nerve from a tooth in my top right set, up my lip, up the right side of my face, around the eye, over the right ear to a spot behind the ear. My top lip was so swollen for a week I looked like rubber faced spitting image puppet or something, with toothache, face ache (my sister says I've always had that tho lol) and headaches all the time for about 2 weeks.The horror stories online (and anti depressants) are usually extreme cases where there's been some nerve damage and the nerve tingles or throbs after the infection has cleared up which is pretty rare.The nerve in my top lip tingles a bit in the cold and I've got a small scar there from a blister, otherwise I was back to normal after about 2 weeks.Don't scratch the blisters, stick with the natural meds and get well soon m8.
    Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

Thanks
    Karma Level

f8ck, i got the burning pain and two days later shingels on my right leg, back and groin area..... it effing kills... I'm on antivirals but I haven't slept for two days... last night was the worst. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

They are starting to scab over but the pain is making me go mental... will the pain go? I can't tell if its the nerves or the rash. HELP!!!! tried ibuprofen, paracetamol, co-dydramol etc but no effect

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine faded over about 6 weeks but it's variable, it became more of an ache in the associated joints. the antivirals are worth taking. . . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheerz,

what about the pain, when does it usually subside.... days or weeks? I can't even walk at the moment... guess being under 50 means there is less chance of it being long term

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was talking about the pain. . . . the rash was never painful or even itchy, the antivirals took care of that but the pain can last for Months. even now I get occasional joint in the affected arm. The burning gradually lessened but would come back with a vengeance when I least expected it. I didn't take the Amitriptyline as suggested though some people get pain relief from it.

Thanks to blaggard

Undertaker (27th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have they given you any anti inflammataries?
    The Diclofenac they gave me along with cocodamol and antivirals really helped with the initial pain.
    Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sis in law is a doctor so managed to get some tramadol amongst other drugs.... Drugged up and happy to after finally getting some sleep.