Close

Thread: Senna

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Senna

I'm in no way an F1 fan but Senna is a gripping documentary whatever you think about motorsport. Following the F1 career of Ayrton Senna from his days at Toleman right through to his short stint at Williams before his untimely death, the film reveals Senna's legendary rivalry with Alain Prost and also with his struggle against the politics and bureaucracy that infest Formula 1. Senna is portrayed initially as a shy, deeply religious man but once he's on the track he's aggressive and ruthless. The final portion of the film focuses on Senna's last race at Imola. It's almost as though he knows what is coming and seems resigned to the fact. He's pre-occupied and very quiet during practice and qualifying. There are 2 horrific crashes during this time, one of which took the life of Roland Ratzenburger. Then we focus on the race itself and the problems Senna and Williams were having with their car. It's almost inevitable that something terrible was going to happen during the race. There are a few disturbing images during the final hour of the movie and the last 15 minutes are heart breaking. A must see whether your an F1 fan or not. Certainly one of the films of the year so far.
    Last edited by TJB; 1st July 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Senna

thanks, been waiting for this since they previewed it on TopGear, will look it up

Thanks
    Karma Level

Been to the flicks for the first time in 7 years to see this, well worth a watch. Also, apparently a 162 minutes extended version (rather than the 106 minute version I saw) is showing at some places.

Crossman.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember the weekend really well as it was Challenge Cup wembley weekend.
    A cracking documentary and i was nervous watching the build up to the last race even though I knew what was coming up. I thought the other crash was even worse though with the guy in his seat in the middle of the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I just watched this as I got it as an exclusive freeview from SingTel. Have actually had the documentary there for a few weeks, but have been putting it off, probably because I thought it would be a little like watching Titanic.

But, this was hands down the best "movie" I've seen all year. I'm not a massive fan of F1 either, but I was back then when Senna was driving.
    This documentary gives a lot to the viewer, where many box office movies fail today. I personally went through many emotions, the competitiveness, the anger against the rotten people involved in the sport, Senna's failures, victories. All added with some old-school drivers that won't be remember as well as Senna, but will be remembered, like Hill, Barichello, JJ Lehto, Prost, Mansell, Rosberg, Lauda etc.

I remember when I came home from a booze-cruise on the 2nd of May, 1994 and couldn't believe the news on the TV, it was shocking then, and it still is today.
    I found myself truly disliking Prost when I watched this, but hats off to him then at the end.

Past champions Alain Prost, Emerson Fittipaldi, and Jackie Stewart plus Austria's Gerhard Berger and Brazil's Christian Fittipaldi were among those to carry the coffin of the three-times world champion, who died in an accident during Sunday's San Marino Grand Prix.

Thierry Boutsen, Roberto Moreno, Rubens Barrichello, and Derek Warwick also shouldered the coffin for about 200 metres before passing it over to soldiers, who carried it to the spot where it was to be buried.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...offin-1.707626
    Very good viewing, and I recommend spending the time to watch this movie.

9/10
    Last edited by cronus71; 22nd August 2011 at 06:59 PM.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”