Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info eReader help, advice on what to buy and what to do with your new reader.

Just what it says on the tin, use this to ask for or give help regardless of reader whether dedicated or tablet/phone/computer based. Also software for conversion, cataloguing etc.We may still tweak stuff as we go along but as BB says, use it or lose it.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: eReader help, advice on what to buy and what to do with your new reader.

My wife have just bought a new Kindle 3 from the USA for $79 its the one with the adverts on. Does anyone know any way of removing the adverts?

Many Thanks

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: eReader help, advice on what to buy and what to do with your new reader.

just read this on the site, not sue if it helps but anyway "Kindle with Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers is only available in the U.S."

does it mean ads only in that country ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

We did buy it on a recent trip to the US and all the ads are for US stores lol. Just wondered if there is any way to turn them off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

new kindle owner myself and i know lots of you have them so i will be asking a few questions as i delve into the thing.

can i have my books on the kindle organised the same as on the store, i.e. nice list with piccy at the side or am i stuck with just the way it looks now.

cheers.

oh its a kindle 3...

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I'll throw a line in for the iPad2. Reason I bought one is that it is backlit, pretty much as simple as that. I read a lot at night, and often fall asleep with the iPad in front of me, so I was a little loathe to go down the line of a Kindle with a cover and light as they look a little too flexible for me. £400 is A LOT to spend on an ereader though, but I play a lot of games and do all my browsing on it too, so for me its most definitely value. However, if want to use it to read during the day, outside in sunlight, avoid it like the plague :-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Kindle for outdoors in bright sunshine. Ipad or mobile for night time. Does turning off the Wifi not turn off the ads on the Ad Kindles ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Well I'll throw a line in for the iPad2. Reason I bought one is that it is backlit, pretty much as simple as that. I read a lot at night, and often fall asleep with the iPad in front of me, so I was a little loathe to go down the line of a Kindle with a cover and light as they look a little too flexible for me. £400 is A LOT to spend on an ereader though, but I play a lot of games and do all my browsing on it too, so for me its most definitely value. However, if want to use it to read during the day, outside in sunlight, avoid it like the plague :-)
    Try the Kobo reader on your iPad, night reading mode (white on black) is the tits!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

i bought a kindle 3g about a month ago and love it, found a few books like the 2 week freetrial of newspapers. Oh btw i bought a refurb and @ £98 delivered i got a bargain, had a free trial of amazon prime too, ordered it on friday @ 3pm and citylink deliver that saturday @ 7:50!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    Does turning off the Wifi not turn off the ads on the Ad Kindles ?
    Not sure but as its my wife's and she's not the most tech savvy person I would prefer not to down that route

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got the mrs an iPad 2 for Christmas. She'll be doing a lot of night time reading. Is JB the best way of getting free ebooks on it? I'm sure Raptor had a big source for eBooks back along

Thanks
    Karma Level

iPad doesn't need to be jb to put free epub books on it