Close

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What are you reading?

Just finished reading Super Tramp which is the autobiography of Nottingham Forest and Scotland legend John Robertson. Enjoyable reading but I guess I'm biased as being a Forest fan and reliving the glory years of the late 70s would probably leave me misty eyed and wanting more even if it was shit! This was the first real (non-ebook) book that I've read in well over a year and it was made even more special as it was signed by the man himself.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I'm sat in a deserted pub with a log fire and cute young barmaid on her second night in the job and on my 4th Guinness reading Len Deighton Only When I Larf

I keep having to look up words used in the book on Google as it was written long before I was born.
    The barmaid hasn't been much use in this regard.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to JonEp

casio (1st May 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm about a third of the way through Lee Evans - The Life of Lee at the moment.

So far it's better than I expected.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    I keep having to look up words used in the book on Google as it was written long before I was born.
    The barmaid hasn't been much use in this regard.
    when I do this on the kindle it reminds me how much time I wasted looking up words when I was reading biology and physics at uni, my life would have been a lot easier, not to mention I could have avoided the shoulder and back pain that carrying massive books caused lol

Thanks to casio

JonEp (2nd May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've read all 3 Hunger Games books this last week. A good series and on a whole I enjoyed it but book one was far more enjoyable than the 2nd and 3rd. Parts of book 3 felt a bit rushed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got them on my kindle but for some reason i've not got around to them, I have this feeling that they'll be another 'twilight saga' where you have to be a 14yr old emo kid to enjoy them,

on a side note I read Ready player one by Ernest Cline today (I literally had nothing to do all day long lol) and it was brilliant, kinda 2nd life meets Daemon by daniel suarez, with a little 80's love thrown in (the decade not old lady lovin')

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    I've got them on my kindle but for some reason i've not got around to them, I have this feeling that they'll be another 'twilight saga' where you have to be a 14yr old emo kid to enjoy them,

on a side note I read Ready player one by Ernest Cline today (I literally had nothing to do all day long lol) and it was brilliant, kinda 2nd life meets Daemon by daniel suarez, with a little 80's love thrown in (the decade not old lady lovin')
    I've avoided Twilight for that very reason so can't compare but I didn't feel like I was reading a book for kids. Im 39 but probably have the mental age of a 14 year old emo though
    I'd say give the first book a go at least and see how you do. With the amount you read you'd probably have it done in one session!

Somebody mentioned Ready Player One earlier in this thread and it's on my list.

Thanks to x_Mr_C_x

casio (13th May 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I really enjoyed the first Hunger Games book but thought the other two were shit. In fact I half expected the movie to be all 3 books put together.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by x_Mr_C_x View Post
    I've avoided Twilight for that very reason so can't compare but I didn't feel like I was reading a book for kids. Im 39 but probably have the mental age of a 14 year old emo though
    I'd say give the first book a go at least and see how you do. With the amount you read you'd probably have it done in one session!
    I think I was probably a bit unfair with the 14 yr old emo kid statement because I enjoyed the twilight saga, even though I got a few funny looks when I bought them and even more when i showed up at work with them lol I will say though I'm glad I did read them, the three books make up a really good story that is set out and paced well, the only thing I would have done was the same as they did with the movie and I would have split the last book into two

Thanks
    Karma Level

well I've finished the three of the hunger games and can honestly say I sort of enjoyed them, the latter two not as much as the first and if im honest I think it's have been better with more in books 1 and 2 so book 3 was left out completely, the 1st I really enjoyed and the 2nd started ok and carried on to begin with but by the end of the 2nd id had enough, meaning book 3rd was a struggle to start let alone finish. Normally when I've had a multi-book series that I get to the end of I'm a little sad that its done with but by book 3 I was glad to be done with it, which is a shame I know I could have left it after book 2 to read something else and then come back to it later but if i'd done that I wouldnt have ever gone back to it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lately i've managed to read The Cross, Shadow Conspiracy, The Alchemists Secret, The Mozart Conspiracy and The Heretics Treasure by Scott Mariani. The Hunger Games Trilogy and last but not least I, PARTRIDGE, ' we need to talk about Alan '. Enjoyed them all to be honest but i did try The Map by T.S. Learner and only got a few chapters in before i had to put it down, it was like a chore trying to read it.

Thanks to showbiz-legend

casio (18th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

From memory I think the Scott Mariani books -with the exception of The Cross, are all part of the Ben Hope series and credit where its due the books are crackers I read them out of order because I started with Shadow Project and was hooked if you enjoyed them try David Gibbins and Glenn Cooper, they both write in the same vein but a little more treasure hunt and a little less kill everyone who gets in the way lol

Thanks to casio

showbiz-legend (20th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers mate i'll give them a look, but to be honest I quite like the ' kill everyone ' part of them I'm just about to start the girl with dragon tatoo trilogy too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by x_Mr_C_x View Post
    Somebody mentioned Ready Player One earlier in this thread and it's on my list.

Recently read this and Daemon by Daniel Suarez. Loved them both and very much recommended.

Forgot to say, just about to start Ghost In The Wires by Kevin Mitnick.
    Last edited by crazyal; 20th May 2012 at 08:42 PM.
    360 Gamertag: crazyai
    PSN Gamertag: psxgalaxy
    IM me at pushme.to

Thanks
    Karma Level

@Crazyal if you've not read it already there is a follow up to Daemon called Freedom. there's also a couple of others very much in the same vein that you might like, like Reamde by Neal Stephenson its a bit more grounded in reality but I really enjoyed it (even if its 1000 pages did sprain my wrist lol) as well as Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson which is more than a little iRobot-ish but still a cracking read.

lol I forgot too, I've finished Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris while I was at work and started in on Red, White and Blood by Christopher Farnsworth which is the 3rd in the Nathaniel Cade, the President's Vampire series -something I didnt think I'd enjoy but I really have, theres blood and guts everywhere, nothing like twilight where he was shit scared of shaggin her incase he shagged her legs of or something lol
    Last edited by casio; 21st May 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks to casio

crazyal (21st May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for those, I'll put them on my 'to-do' list.

Know what you mean about the wrist - bloody iPad. I'll deffo have to get a Kindle.
    IM me at pushme.to

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finished The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger by Stephen King a few days ago. I found it quite difficult to get into but stuck with it and enjoyed it in the end! I'm about a quarter of the way through book 2, The Drawing of the Three and I've found it a much easier read and I'm loving the way the story is going..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stick with them Mr C, they are worth it.
    IM me at pushme.to

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just finished under the dome by stephen king. Enjoyed it but would have liked a different ending

Thanks to elephantsoup

casio (6th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was wondering if the different covers had a different ending, but I checked a few different ebooks and they were all the same. It felt to me like it went out with a whimper rather than bang, which after reading it for 2-3 days I was hoping Mr King had given it the beans, but it finished like a lot of his more recent books rather than going out with a bang like they used to. I'm not saying its not a good book I enjoyed it and would recommend it but if someone hasn't read a Stephen King before I don't think this is the one I would start them out on.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast