Close

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What are you reading?

Bought this one on Amazon's daily deal a while back: Just one damned thing after another.

It's the first book of a series about time travelling historians who visit major historical events. Kind of a black comedy sprinkled with sci-fi. It was cool.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damned-Anoth...+after+another

Thanks to flumperino

casio (5th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I recently finish Wool by Hugh Howey and can not recommend the series enough. One of the best post-apocalyptic series I have read. You will not be disappointed, couldn't put it down.

The story of Wool takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth. Humanity clings to survival in the Silos, subterranean cities extending over one hundred stories beneath the surface.

Thanks to cyprus

Goldberg (16th September 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Halfway through Richard Branson's - 'Losing my virginity'
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    I recently finish Wool by Hugh Howey and can not recommend the series enough. One of the best post-apocalyptic series I have read. You will not be disappointed, couldn't put it down.

The story of Wool takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth. Humanity clings to survival in the Silos, subterranean cities extending over one hundred stories beneath the surface.
    Started the first one this morning and already liking it very much.
    I love this genre and so far so good.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really struggling to get into the story of Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon...
    Please tell me it gets better; the first 75 pages have been rather a hit and miss affair.

Thanks
    Karma Level

About a third of the way through Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Not a bad read, with just enough references to The Shining IMO.

2 Thanks given to coin-op

Goldberg (2nd October 2013),  x_Mr_C_x (2nd October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really looking forward to Doctor Sleep. Finishing Wool off and then I am onto it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm currently reading 'Physics of the Future' by Michio Kaku. It's about the future of technology and his predictions for the next 100 years.

I'm also reading 'Don't make me think' by Steve Krug, but that's more for work. It's an old title now but if you work in anything to do with UX it's still pretty relevant today.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finished reading The Shining at the weekend and I'm now also reading Doctor Sleep. 15% in and it's very good so far!

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont quite know how I missed it but I picked the new jack reacher up from tesco at lunch time and im loving it, im guttered theres only about 50ish pages left lol seriously though would it hurt Lee child to write a proper 900 page reacher epic? I know i'd buy it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nearly finished the hundred year old man and I can't believe how good it's been and to say its fiction can't believe how many of the 20 century people of substance they have managed to weave into the story line

Thanks
    Karma Level

Should have Wool (first one) finished on the tube journey home. Took a while to get through with other commitments and a week away etc..

The titles are stacking up that I want to get through, but my question to Cyprus is should I plough on through the other Wool books or is it good to take a break in between them?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Absolutely Goldie, they all tie in to each other and you get to find out how it all came to be, what Silo 1 really is and how the other silos are connected.

Thanks to cyprus

Goldberg (14th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default What are you reading?

Grabbing from Amazon as we speak.

*edit*

Wow... Ok so I have just bought the second book in the wool trilogy 'shift'. The third is a pre order but I have also noticed there are branches off the other books, so first shift, second shift etc... Then half way home, as well as some other.

This series could be huge!

*EDIT 2*

OK I now understand.. The Wool Books are released online as and when the Author finishes them.
    Amazon have all the books listed and the 'Triology' is all of these book together.

Yes it should be obvious but it is not.

9 Books in total. Wool is books 1-5, Shift is 6-8 and Dust is the final book in the series.
    I was worried that I had missed some/was reading in the wrong order but it is all good.

From the interweb I can see that the Movie Rights have been sold with Ridley Scott showing an interest.
    Last edited by Goldberg; 16th October 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks to Goldberg

cyprus (18th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just finished Doctor Sleep and thoroughly enjoyed it. I read it back to back with the Shining and thought it carried on the story of Danny very well.

Thanks to x_Mr_C_x

Goldberg (18th October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finished them a long time ago now but thought worth mentioning, the 'Autumn' series of (zombie) books are very good by David Moody. They did make a movie a few year back which starred Dexter Fletcher and David Carradine but I think they ran out of money and it was terrible..

Why can they never make decent movies out of these books!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finished reading "Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground" the other night and enjoyed it, some pretty interesting stuff in there if you are a bit of a geek like me.

Former hacker Kevin Poulsen has, over the past decade, built a reputation as one of the top investigative reporters on the cybercrime beat. In Kingpin, he pours his unmatched access and expertise into book form for the first time, delivering a gripping cat-and-mouse narrative—and an unprecedented view into the twenty-first century’s signature form of organized crime.

The word spread through the hacking underground like some unstoppable new virus: Someone—some brilliant, audacious crook—had just staged a hostile takeover of an online criminal network that siphoned billions of dollars from the US economy.

I have just started reading "Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto", which of the 3 chapters I've read is also gonna be a good read, but I'm interested in gaming / game development etc so again might be a niche market.

Grand Theft Auto is one of the biggest and most controversial videogame franchises of all time. Since its first release in 1997, GTA has pioneered the use of everything from 3D graphics to the voices of top Hollywood actors and repeatedly transformed the world of gaming. Despite its incredible innovations in the $75 billion game industry, it has also been a lightning rod of debate, spawning accusations of ethnic and sexual discrimination, glamorizing violence, and inciting real–life crimes. Jacked tells the turbulent and mostly unknown story of GTA′s wildly ambitious creators, Rockstar Games, the invention and evolution of the franchise, and the cultural and political backlash it has provoked.

After that it will be "
    Masters Of Doom: How two guys created an empire and transformed pop culture".

Masters of Doom' is the true inside story of John Carmack and John Romero, co-creators of the most innovative and notoriously successful video games in history - Doom and Quake. They created an empire, ruled a multi-billion-dollar industry, and provoked a national controversy.

Yes I'm a big geek / gaming nerd.

Thanks to rIKmAN

Spennyboy (4th December 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    dont quite know how I missed it but I picked the new jack reacher up from tesco at lunch time and im loving it, im guttered theres only about 50ish pages left lol seriously though would it hurt Lee child to write a proper 900 page reacher epic? I know i'd buy it
    Had got it on my ipad when it came out but saved it while I was reading a couple of other things, finished it last night though Another good yarn but they go too quickly.

Wilbur Smith has a new one out so probably on to that next.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finished Dexter's Final Cut by Jeff Lindsay today and it was very good. For those who don't know, Season one of Dexter was based roughly on the first Dexter novel, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, but after that the books and the TV series went in completely different directions. The books (There are 7 in total) are dark and can be quite humorous at times and are definitely worth a read if you are having withdrawal symptoms from the TV show ending.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jim Butcher-- Dresden files . great books

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223 LastLast