Close

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What are you reading?

Just finished reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Loved all those books. Just going to start with Game of Thrones, looking forward to it

Thanks
    Karma Level

well ive just finished Passenger 13 and while its not a bad book I wouldnt re-read it, if you're thinking about reading a Scott Mariani I wouldnt start with this one, it asks you to make some massive leaps of faith for the story to make sense, not to mention it seemingly moves the Cayman Islands to a couple of hours by plane either that or the plane can fly at mach 3 lol still not bad for 86p

Now I cant decide what to read next lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

called in tesco on my way home and spotted Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith, its the last in the trilogy and continues on from Child44, and The Secret Speech, if youve not already I would recommend having a read at the first 2 I though they were brilliant, much much better than the twilight books that im still ashamed to admit I read

Thanks
    Karma Level

after a couple of complicated weeks Ive just finished Agent 6 and couldnt recommed it highly enough, I was given a book at the weekend called Hailey's war by Jodi Compton and going by the back it sounds like its going to be a decent read

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm currently rereading all of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Absolutely compelling reads.Interestingly, Lee Child has been poised to pen the new James Bond novel.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.

If you liked Stieg Lawson and want more start with this book. Gripping from page one.

Thanks to JonEp

casio (7th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    I'm currently rereading all of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. Absolutely compelling reads.Interestingly, Lee Child has been poised to pen the new James Bond novel.
    They are making a movie with Tom Cruise to play Jack...

I am currently reading 'Pride and Prejudice & Zombies' as it was 69p on Amazon for the Kindle. It's a way for me to try to get into the rubbish she loves by adding Zombies lol.
    Not the greatest read in the world but I understand about Pride & Prejudice now.

I finished the passage a while back which was a slog but worth it.
    Next will be back to Terry Pratchett to complete the Discworld books and then back to my favourite, Stephen King
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

casio (6th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I picked up the new stephen king this afternoon -full dark no stars and fingers crossed it's a return to form, the last I read was Duma Key and while it wasnt brilliant it was better than some of the other recent ones,

also why have little Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher they should have gone for someone taller and less middle of the road like Kevin McKidd or Gerald Butler

and finally lol,
    I finished Hailey's war by Jodi Compton on thursday and would recommed it to anyone, think a female Jack Reacher who washed out of the military, west point

Thanks
    Karma Level

larsson books were good just finished the code book by simon singh which was really good

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    also why have little Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher they should have gone for someone taller and less middle of the road like Kevin McKidd or Gerald Butler
    This has been mentioned a lot recently, but then they printed other actors who were playing roles that were taller/shorter than the actor.
    Wolverine for example is a short arse but Hugh Jackman is over 6ft

I think it was Shortlist Magazine that did the comparisons *EDIT* here is the link http://www.shortlist.com/entertainme...s/size-matters
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

casio (8th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Currently reading "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain, after which I have lined up "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Twain, after that, I have no idea
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won
    I fought the law and I won

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got Bram Stokers Dracula (as it was Free) so currently going through that classic.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just started Agent 8 the final in the Tom Rob Smith trilogy

Read the first two in a week to feed my Stieg Lawson type book addiction.

Have to say without a Kindle I'd be lost... Not sure why I waited and debated so long before buying one.

Edit : all three have been crackers !!!!

Thanks to JonEp

casio (11th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

same here I couldnt agree more, I thought all three were brilliant and very well written consideing they are the authors first 3 books, I will say though that while I wont spoil it for anyone they do have to be read in order to get the best out of them. (child44 first then the secret speech and then the last one agent 6) if you were to pickup Agent 6 first it gives away a of details about secret speech.

Personally I will be looking for more by Tom Rob Smith in future

@JonEp if you liked both Tom Rob Smith and Stieg Larsson have a look at Free Agent and Free Country both by Jeremy Dunns, Free agent is the first one and its brilliant, I've got to say until I read child44 I hadn't really read any cold war thrillers. I didn't think they'd be my kind of thing but I couldn't have been more wrong, think of Free Agent and Free Country as being set around the same time as the Tom Rob Smith trilogy, but your sort of on the other side. I wouldn't say this is a gritty, spy on spy kind of book because its not its more like a 40's era gumshoe film noir only its set between London and Nigeria during the peak of the Cold War.

I found it both of them to be really well written, especially when you think Free Agent was his first book and to be able to write a twisting turning, thriller takes some talent. -I speak from experience, lol its not easy

EDIT- I just had a quick look and you can read the first few chapters on his site www.jeremyduns.com

Thanks to casio

JonEp (11th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin and loved it. As others have said, it has a Stephen King feel about it which isn't a bad thing if you are a King fan.I'm really into my post apocalyptic stuff at the moment and I'm now reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon. 10% in and it's seeming very good.

2 Thanks given to x_Mr_C_x

casio (19th August 2011),  Goldberg (12th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just finished Now you see her, by James Patterson.

Being some what of a Patterson fan I cant help but think his heart isnt in it now because his early books were brilliant, intricate and satisfying when they finished where as his more recent seem like padded out short stories. dont get me wrong I enjoyed it and would tell people to read it but I'd also tell them to read his earlier work first because the first five or so Alex Cross and the first 4-5 Womens Murder Club are a lot stronger storywise, although they are part of a series where as this one was a stand alone.

It could be also due to the fact this is another book that he co-wrote with Michael Ledwidge, which is what makes me think James Patterson wrote a short story and Michael Ledwidge fleshed it out to make it a proper book.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by x_Mr_C_x View Post
    Just finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin and loved it. As others have said, it has a Stephen King feel about it which isn't a bad thing if you are a King fan.I'm really into my post apocalyptic stuff at the moment and I'm now reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon. 10% in and it's seeming very good.
    'Swan Song' is a million times better than 'The Passage'. 'The Passage' is very good until the last quarter and then becomes a Dean Koontz failure IMHO !

Thanks
    Karma Level

I started Daemon by Daniel Suarez last night and its brilliant, there is a second called freedom which ive not started yet because they have to be read in order.

I think if I had to say its sort of The Matrix (in a good way) crossed with The Terminator and Minority Report. Its weird but Im enjoying it and can't wait to pick it up and carry on but I dont want to finish it lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just finished "love, and other near death experiences" by Mil Millington.
    An absolutely fantastic novel, made me laugh out loud on numerous occasions.

I got it from poundland, which will hopefully get him more exposure. Was released in 2003.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Has anyone got the Karen Slaughter ones, wouldn't mind those for my ipad to try next

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast