Close

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by x_Mr_C_x View Post
    Just finished Freedom by Daniel Suarez. Loved it and I would recommend it along with Daemon to anybody with an IT background or anyone who has ever played MMORPGs!
    I've just read these as well. Pretty good but not classic ! If you want a better read that is fantasy/Sci Fi which is also based on Virtual worlds then read the Otherland series by Tad Williams. There are 4 books in the series and all are pretty chunky in size !

Thanks to flik

casio (23rd October 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    I've just read these as well. Pretty good but not classic ! If you want a better read that is fantasy/Sci Fi which is also based on Virtual worlds then read the Otherland series by Tad Williams. There are 4 books in the series and all are pretty chunky in size !

Cheers, will add them to my "to read" list

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm glad everyone's enjoying them, the only problem i had with either Daemon or Freedom was they weren't long enough I've read some that are almost double the page count and don't have half the story.

I don't know if they're out in eBook form but there's 3 books by an author who goes by Anonymous, there's the book with no name and the eye of the moon and a prequel called the devils graveyard which although technically a prequel it gives away some spoilers from the first 2. they're not in the same vein as the Daniel Suarez books but more a combination of Buffy the vampire slayer mixed with deadwood with a little Harpers island mixed in with a bit of Dexter.

if you fancy it though there's another book kinda like the 2 Suarez books but with more of an iRobot/terminator slant called Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson, there's some mumblings of it being made into a big budget Steven Spielberg movie although the special effects in my head when I was reading it will be way better than ILM can manage lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    I'm glad everyone's enjoying them, the only problem i had with either Daemon or Freedom was they weren't long enough I've read some that are almost double the page count and don't have half the story.

I don't know if they're out in eBook form but there's 3 books by an author who goes by Anonymous, there's the book with no name and the eye of the moon and a prequel called the devils graveyard which although technically a prequel it gives away some spoilers from the first 2. they're not in the same vein as the Daniel Suarez books but more a combination of Buffy the vampire slayer mixed with deadwood with a little Harpers island mixed in with a bit of Dexter.

if you fancy it though there's another book kinda like the 2 Suarez books but with more of an iRobot/terminator slant called Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson, there's some mumblings of it being made into a big budget Steven Spielberg movie although the special effects in my head when I was reading it will be way better than ILM can manage lol
    Cheers Casio, my to read list is gonna be as long as a book at this rate!

Thanks to x_Mr_C_x

casio (23rd October 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post

nice one m8, I'm about 60% of the way through Nothing to Lose by Lee Child so these will fall in nicely although they'll have to come after We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver I picked it up earlier and checked the back and realised why I bought it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have just finished the George RR Martin Song of Ice and Fire books and having not read any fantasy for a long time I was really surprised how much I got into them.

Was going to start on the Jo Nesbo books but my mate recommended the Joe Abercrombie trilogy, 'The First Law' - am about half way through the first book 'The Blade Itself' and am really enjoying that, would definitely recommend it / them

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    Someone has suggested to me a series of legal thrillers by David Hosp. Dark Harbor (2005) The Betrayed (2006) Innocence (2007) Among Thieves (2010).

I also have John Le Carre Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy to get through before I watch the film but I'm going to start with Dark Harbor and see how it goes.
    Well all this went down the pan when I went shopping and a book called The Man who Broke into Auschwitz by Denis Avey caught my attention.

Quite a good yarn about a bloke in world war II you claims to have swapped for a few nights with a Jewish prisoner in Auschwitz though this is only a small part of the book its more a biography. Note: There is a whole section of the internet who have set out to debunk his claims taking the book apart word by word.

And for a heads up.

The new John Grisham book The Litigators was released today and has already been released in the usual suspect places in epub and mobi format.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just finished The Road, didn't take long as only a short story... Disappointed as the book I finished before was 'Swan Song'
    If you are going to read both, do The Road first and you wont be as disappointed as I was.

Now onto the Steve Jobs book.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Only 16% (kindle) through the new John Grisham book and so far its better than any of his other recent 'legal fiction' books. Back to his original form ...

Can't wait to get stuck back in to it ....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I've slipped up and read almost all of the jack reacher series, I started Worth Dying For last night after falling through books 12,13,14 over the long weekend (I've been off work since Thursday till tomorrow)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    Well I've slipped up and read almost all of the jack reacher series, I started Worth Dying For last night after falling through books 12,13,14 over the long weekend (I've been off work since Thursday till tomorrow)
    Just started the fist one, "Killing Floor" after the wife recommended the series.. I've already got my hands on the entire series as this one has got me fully gripped. Also got them in audio book for the car! so that I can fully immerse myself!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Reacher is compulsive reading.

The John Grisham book was a really good read!

In the middle of the Steve Job's bio.

Thanks
    Karma Level

JonEp is bang on they are compulsive reading, I couldn't sleep last night and I thought one or two chapters of worth dying for (book 15) wouldn't hurt, that was midnight-ish, I ended up reading it cover to cover

leaving me only 2 Second son, and The affair I cant decide if I should bite the bullet and read them or save them and make then last lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well second son didnt last nearly long enough, I thought it was a proper book but it turns out its a short story that lasts about a hour,

I've decided that I'm going to save the last reached book for a bit and I'm eyeing up Reamde by Neal Stephenson simply because its massive, I've not checked but it's about a thousand pages

From what I've read on the inside cover it's sort of like the books by Daniel Suarez (freedom, daemon) but not quite so 'out there'

Thanks
    Karma Level

4 day on and im just about halfway through Reamde by Neal Stephenson, I was wrong about the comparison to the Daniel Suarez books its much more real world with a hint of Daniel Suarez but only in the way that its a tech centric related thriller

its kind of hard to describe because its a thriller that's set within real world and the dark side of the internet, credit card, identity theft, hackers, English spies, Russian mafia, Chinese mmorpg gold farming etc

I would recommend it though at least so far

Thanks
    Karma Level

after a horrendous week that's meant I've been sitting/standing and sleeping in the waiting rooms of not one but three hospitals I've finally finished Reamde by Neal Stephenson and I must say its not a bad read, as I mentioned that its not really like Daemon or Freedom like I thought it was to begin with but is still influenced by and tech related.

I'd say think of it as a modern James Bond (without the gadgets but with a Daniel Craig style James Bond) its got international espionage, mmorpg, murder, explosions, guns, terrorist as well as so much more its hard to include it.

its not a slight book either, at about 10 pages off of a thousand pages on the kindle it wouldn't be an issue but in paper form its heavy as balls and has made my forearms hurt just from holding it lol

id recommend it if you fancy a big dumb action movie of a book

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just starting James Patterson - Kill me if you can

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finished The House of Silk By Anthony Horowitz The New Sherlock Holmes book in one sitting.

Very enjoyable and available in the usual places for e reader.

Thanks to JonEp

casio (20th November 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

its my next book m8 I bought house of silk and the new James Patterson kill me if you can this afternoon and I've got about 40 pages left of kill me if you can, and truth be told I'm dying to dive into The house of silk, from the reviews in the papers and online it seems to be getting positive reviews

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just started reading The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists on my phone, free through the Gutenberg Project. Great book so far, about 1/6th of the way through the book.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast