Close

View Poll Results: What E-Reader you use?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kindle

37 67.27%
  • Sony Reader

5 9.09%
  • iPad

13 23.64%
  • Other (Please state in post)

5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What E-Reader do you use?

Kindle here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought an irex iliad (now discontinued I think) a few years ago now, because of the bigger size screen and I wanted to use it for technical pdfs for work

At the time mobipocket was the best software/store around and when they brought out the symbian app I was pretty chuffed

Now I use the android/ios versions of kindle/kobo, so I think I almost hit every box on the poll

I remember when I first heard about ereaders and I got very excited and contacted Sony US, who told me (this'll make you laugh), that they had no plans to release one in the UK because there wasn't a market for it there!! Oh yeah cos noone in the UK can read

Having ebooks now has realy got me back into reading - same as another poster - carrying paper books is a pain

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Pete View Post
    carrying paper books is a pain
    Exactly why I got mine, I work on a ship for 6 weeks at a time, and the company operates a No Booze policy. No way to take enough books with me to last 6 weeks (luggage allowance on the plane, last time I was away I managed some 15 novels in 6 weeks) and there's no guarantee that anything in the ships "library" will be any good. A lot of it is shite in fact. Plus, its not a very big library.
    Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
    I fought the law and I won
    I fought the law and I won

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only down side of having a big collection of books on the kindle is the terrible UI, I get why they do it as it is so people without a computer can still use it, but considering they offer kindle software for the mac/pc I wish you could create collections on the computer and sync the kindle, as it is you can do this using Calibre but the kindle right now is like an iPhone without itunes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I never connected my kindle to my computer, in fact I never even connected it to my wifi. I only ever used mine connected via 3g to the amazon kindle store, so as intended it's not even plug and play - it's just play
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    The only down side of having a big collection of books on the kindle is the terrible UI, I get why they do it as it is so people without a computer can still use it, but considering they offer kindle software for the mac/pc I wish you could create collections on the computer and sync the kindle, as it is you can do this using Calibre but the kindle right now is like an iPhone without itunes
    You can create collections/folders directly on the Kindle. Takes a bit of faffing but not a major problem. If you have all your ebooks in your Dropbox then you only really need one book at a time on your Kindle anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know you can do them in the kindle without needing to connect it I just don't like it that way, I've found it a little inelegant in it's execut1on, that's not to say doing them through calibre is perfect it's not but amazon could have done it better in my opinion,

I do use my dropbox account for books when I'm on the go but If I'm not getting the book directly from amazon I grab the ePub and then convert via calibre

Thanks
    Karma Level

Broken my second Kindle tonight -(Took the last one back to Tescos where I bought it from.)

Dropped this one a few days ago and it stopped working tonight.

Told them about the drop and they agreed to send a new one on Friday no question asked other than getting me to hold the power switch for short time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I emailed Amazon on wednesday about my battery life falling through the floor because it went from normal 15-22 days with wifi turned off (I know it could have been more but read a lot) -down to an hour or so in bed on a night and then it was flat by morning. I ran through their checks which were simple as it gets lol all they asked was, had I transfered a lot of new books because the indexing will suck the life out of the battery. (I'd have thought they would have given us an option to turn indexing off to save the battery but apparently not) -I got a call yesterday to apologise and to let me know I had a new one on the way which arrived this morning, they even took the old one so I dont have to pay to send it back.

I couldnt be more happy with amazon, the only other company who have been this good at fixing and replacing in my experience is Apple

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use my Kindle during the daylight hours but am now doing all my night time reading on my Galaxy S2 using Kindle and also Aldiko which is a great ePub reader.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

These days I use my Sony Tablet S as my main reader, I hope to take delivery of my Transformer Prime this week. . . . I may keep the Sony just for,reading as it is a joy to hold (and BEHOLD!)
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mainly the kindle (ideal for the train) but I use the iPad for magazine reading as it's more suited to the task.. I am totaly fulfilled in the ereader area...

Thanks
    Karma Level

currently I use the android kindle app on my blackberry playbook and also my SGS2.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Since getting my Note which has great battery life my Kindle has been gathering dust. The screen size is perfect for reading on and it's always with me. It won't replace the Kindle for outdoor Summer reading though so my Kindle is still staying with me for my Jollies!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the Kindle 3G is as close to perfection as it gets. Its slim, lightweight, cheap and the best thing is that you get a 'FREE' international roaming data connection. I was in Dubai last week and used it extensively to download books, magazines, newspapers and check email.. all for nowt. Had I used my mobile phone I would have been charged +£50 for the same privellege. I'd never go back to a basic wifi/USB e-reader.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    the best thing is that you get a 'FREE' international roaming data connection. I was in Dubai last week and used it extensively to download books, magazines, newspapers and check email.. all for nowt.
    Haven't they restricted now though so you can only browse the kindle store now?
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by funkyg View Post
    Haven't they restricted now though so you can only browse the kindle store now?
    I have the Kindle 3 keyboard, internet works fine over 3G? I think the restriction is for the newer touch 3G
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Started with the ipad but found it too heavy, especially when tired, I kept dropping it while dozing off :|

Mrs bought me a kindle for my birthday and it's getting a daily hammering which has me back into reading again

Magazines are a rarity and I still resort to the paper variety as they are an impulse buy usually.
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use CoolReader on my Samasung Galaxy Tab. Main advantage is I can read it at night without t'big light on.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassy34 View Post
    I use CoolReader on my Samasung Galaxy Tab. Main advantage is I can read it at night without t'big light on.
    Does that have a night mode like the Kobo software? white text out of black background, easy on the eye and no light spill. . . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast