Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Microsoft wireless pc usb gaming receiver problems

Has anyone managed to get these to work with a usb hub? after upgrading my pc with a dx11 graphics card, I invested in a 15m hdmi cable and 15m of usb 2 cable so that i could link it to my bedroom 40 inch sony and play crysis 2 on there however this thing refuses to pair up when on any kind of usb extension cable (the cable comes in three parts, 2 repeater 5m lengths and one normal 5m length).

I then bought a belkin 4 port powered usb hub thinking that it would provide enough juice to power the thing on the other end of the usb cable, but no, the thing doesn't get picked up properly by windows if its sitting on a usb hub. Basically the thing doesn't work unless its plugged directly into the pc, i've tried all the permutations.

Has anyone got around this? I just wanted to play on my 360 controller. Worse case, i'll have to buy a wired 360 controller.

Note its a knockoff reciever (branded xbox 360), but the MS one is equally supposed to be a pain in the ass.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft wireless pc usb gaming receiver problems

Its not a power issue... max cable length is 5m for usb 2.0 due to response times need to be 26ns (or less) for usb 2.0.

A one metre cable adds about 5ns to response times (hence the 5 metre limit and hence why you couldn't find a usb cable greater than 5m)

The one thing I don't understand is why are you trying to extend a wireless transmitter by 15 wired metres? Surely the whole point is that it is wireless?

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's bluetooth wireless and unfortunately it only has a effective range of a meter or two from the pc, worse there is no chance of it boing through walls. The idea was to extend to where the tv is so that I can use an xbox controller wirelessly from there.

Two of the 5 metre lengths are active repeaters which can be daisy chained, only the final 5 meters is a standard USB cable. It's not the cables, as plugging just the belkin hub into the pc and the receiver into that exhibits the same issue. I'm tempted to just buy a wired 360 pad and go with that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I doubt a wired pad would be much better over that distance either. Why not buy buy the proper microsoft wireless dongle for the 360 pad... I can vouch for that working through walls and 10m or so away from source?

Thanks
    Karma Level

theres a fella selling the crossfire 360 wireless gaming reciever on eBay which is a copy, cant tell any difference to be honest though, works perfect and is 2.4Ghz wireless so will work a long way. I have mine on my PC now and got the 360 force feedback wheel hooked up for dirt 3 and F1 looks and plays brilliant in 3D via Nvidia 3D Vision on my 96" screen REceiver is just £8 get one