Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky and BBC to televise F1 from 2012

Sky do sport better thou! the profile will increase as did Cricket, darts, speedway and currently snooker. Anyway Radio is ultimate form of medium, nothing will beat my little wireless.
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Men driving in circles not as important as men hitting ball with stick, declares BBC

Overweight men repeatedly hitting a small ball with a stick is significantly more important than men driving round in circles for two hours, the BBC announced this afternoon.

The announcement that full Formula One coverage will now move to Sky Sports has been greeted by motorsport fans with all the enthusiasm of someone expecting a scaffolding tube enema.
    Sports fan Dave Matthews told us, “Multi-millionaires driving really fast round the same corner, over and over again, is the best thing on the BBC.”
    “I can’t believe they’re willing to give that up in order to keep Sue Barker and Tim Henman in a job.”
    “Let me be clear, if the choice is between me giving up something I dearly love, or giving Rupert Murdoch so much as a single sodding penny, then it’s ‘goodbye thing I love’.”
    “And I include my own children in that.”

Formula One moves to Sky Sports

The BBC defended the decision to cut back on its Formula One coverage by saying “Martin Brundle” over and over again.
    A spokesperson for the corporation told us, “We consider that big game in the fields with all the men from around the world using really expensive sticks to hit the ball into the hole as being among the ‘crown jewels’ of our sports coverage.”
    “And of course, by ‘crown jewels’ I mean that you wouldn’t want to be kicked in the ‘crown jewels’.”
    Formula One impresario Bernie Ecclestone defended the new deal, telling fans, “You can all rest assured that this new deal has been negotiated in the best interests of Bernie Ecclestone.”
    “Also, are people really complaining that they think adverts will ruin the thing that is covered top to tail in adverts?”
    “People are funny, aren’t they?”

http://newsthump.com/2011/07/29/men-...-declares-bbc/
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

why do you keep posting from newsarse? noone finds it funny. For the races the BBC shows do they include the qualifying too? I wonder who's going to be doing the commentary for sky

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

lithho (31st July 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    why do you keep posting from newsarse? noone finds it funny. For the races the BBC shows do they include the qualifying too? I wonder who's going to be doing the commentary for sky
    Chill out you miserable scrote !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93455

Formula 1 teams are to seek clarification from Bernie Ecclestone on the new BBC/Sky television deal amid concerns about the sport moving away from free-to-air television in 2012. In a shock announcement on Friday morning, the BBC and Sky announced that they would be sharing coverage of F1 in Britain next year - with Sky showing every race on its subscription channels and the BBC showing only half of them.
    That move has led to outrage from fans, who are unhappy that they will not be able to follow every race on free-to-air television.
    Team principals have also expressed some surprise at not having every race shown on free-to-air television, but they want more details from Ecclestone to find out what the specifics of the deal are.
    McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that he would seek more information from Ecclestone, especially because he felt it important F1 was not taken off free-to-air.
    "As I understand BBC are covering half the grands prix, and Sky are doing every practice session and everything else. It's interesting," he told AUTOSPORT. "I don't think anyone should be immediately reacting to say this is good, bad, or indifferent.
    "What we need to understand is whether the large audience we currently enjoy in Formula 1 will be maintained. I think we also need to understand exactly how this is being done."
    Whitmarsh said moves to take F1 off free-to-air could be viewed as a breach of the Concorde Agreement, with him claiming that there were clauses in the deal that ties the teams, Ecclestone and the FIA together that guarantees the sport's broadcast platform.
    "We've got a range of safeguards within Concorde, and the right thing to do is to explore how the Formula 1 coverage is going to be dealt with in the future, and take a view from there," he said. "I don't know how many homes in the UK have Sky, but it is a pretty high proportion."
    Williams chairman Adam Parr said the key was understanding the finer details of the arrangement - because what teams lose in widespread television viewing figures could be gained in an increased revenue from Sky.
    "In principle I have no issue with optimising the balance between the revenues that we need, and getting a good reach in the audience," he told AUTOSPORT. "The devil is in the detail.
    "I think it is a balance and, without knowing the details, you cannot comment on whether it is good or bad. What I do know is that Bernie is a very passionate believer in getting the broadest audience possible and I think he has almost certainly done this in order to do that. "
    When asked what his message would be to disappointed fans, Parr said: "I am sympathetic to them. I understand it is difficult - but English Premier League fans have had that for a while haven't they?
    "The one thing I would say, which I have said before, I know that whether you are coming to a race or are watching the sport at home and have to do that on pay TV which seems expensive, people have to bear in mind what it costs to put on this show. It is part of the character of F1.
    "For us to design and build the two cars that we will have on the grid on Sunday here, without putting an engine in them, without putting a driver in them, without accounting for the 70 staff that we bring to each race - without all of that those cars cost £2 million. You multiply that by all the cars on the grid and that is £24 million minimum of the costs just to make the parts for one race. That is part of the show.
    "It is not a bloke or two blokes with a tennis racket and a pair of plimsolls with zero cost. It is a very, very expensive sport. The best thing we can do for fans, whether they want to come to the races or want to watch it on TV, is to reduce the cost of the sport without spoiling the show."
    Parr also pointed out that the Sky/BBC deal was part of a changing media platform – and he drew comparisons between it and the 'freemium' platform of AUTOSPORT.
    "I think that media distribution has changed so much, whether you have gone from paper magazines to a combination of magazine and online," he said. "For example, if you are a lover of AUTOSPORT you have a subscription service there as well as a free-to-air element. The whole media landscape is changing so quickly.
    "The argument from AUTOSPORT would be: we cannot do this for free. We can get some revenue from advertising on the website, some from selling magazines, but we have to optimise our income – and if you want the really good quality of the coverage that you love it is not free, we have to pay to get people to the events.
    "It is a question of degree and balance but also recognising that the way media is distributed is changing. It may well be that the next time around it is not Sky because Google has won the bid and we are all watching it live on the Internet."
    BBC commentator and former F1 driver Martin Brundle said on Twitter that he was "not impressed" with the deal.
    "BBC/Sky/F1 2012+. Found out last night, no idea how it will work yet I'm out of contract, will calmly work through options. Not impressed," he wrote.
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just had a quick look and apparently the races we dont get live on the bbc wont be full races it is going to be highlights of the race,

looks like the lawn will get cut every weekend next summer cos old Rupert will have more luck sucking blood from a turd than he will get a penny from me although I should be careful... his considerably younger wife could be about to slap me

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DelTrotter View Post
    Sky do sport better thou! the profile will increase as did Cricket, darts, speedway and currently snooker. Anyway Radio is ultimate form of medium, nothing will beat my little wireless.
    I agree with cricket darts & speedway, they got me into speedway with their excellent coverage - a decent event every Monday.

However, the coverage is produced centrally and I don't know how they expect to improve on that?

At the moment they have additional cameras for 3D coverage of the premier league (for example) but the main match footage all comes from IMG Media who broadcast the lot for the premier league. I am interested to know if & how they will be able to improve the F1 coverage, exclusively and in a way that hasn't been seen before.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Formula 1's lost a life long fan and the BBC have lost a licence fee. Feck 'em.
    Sent frm my knckered kebard usin fingrs

Thanks to Jack-daniels

casio (1st August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.
    "The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.
    Audiences maybe at a 10-year high. Could that be something to do with it being available on a FTA service that any man and his dog can receive?
    TV audiences will obviously drop but Ecclestone's not going to be arsed 'cos the TV money's still there regardless.
    Sky subbies will have an increase next year to fund this.
    Do us a favour and stick it on the 'SkyMotorSport' channel and make it an optional extra payment channel. Then see how much its worth.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chizh View Post
    Audiences maybe at a 10-year high. Could that be something to do with it being available on a FTA service that any man and his dog can receive?
    TV audiences will obviously drop but Ecclestone's not going to be arsed 'cos the TV money's still there regardless.
    Sky subbies will have an increase next year to fund this.
    Do us a favour and stick it on the 'SkyMotorSport' channel and make it an optional extra payment channel. Then see how much its worth.
    It's ALWAYS been FTA so how does your theory stand up?? the fact is that after many years of fecking around with the format it is now competitive and only the Fans will suffer from this. If it was on a motorsport only channel I might be tempted to subscribe but I'l not pays lots of money (Sky Sports One AND Sky Sports One HD) to get what I am already paying for on my license fee .(yes I KNOW it covers lots more) I ALSO watch Wimbledon but a 2 week sub to Sky would have been MUCH cheaper than an entire F1 Season and that's the only reason Sky have gone for F1 and not Wimbledon.
    This is just more Ecclestone profiteering at the expense of the Sport, he couldn't give a fuck and is STILL waffling on about what a good deal this is for the BBC, cunt.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 2011FIA confirms electric-only pitlanes from 2014

***Actually reading this it's probably time I stopped watching anyway! the Loonies are def running the asylum!***

News Thu, 21 July, 2011FIA confirms electric-only pitlanes from 2014
    Electricity alone will power Formula One cars in the world's pitlanes from 2014 onwards, the FIA has confirmed, as the sport prepares to enter a new era of fuel-efficient racing. The sport's governing body published a draft set of the 2014 technical regulations on Wednesday, detailing changes that are due to come into effect in two and a half years' time.
    2014 will see the introduction of a smaller-capacity, fuel-efficient, energy-recovering engine formula, aiming to improve fuel consumption by 35%, with teams having agreed to a 1.6-litre V6 specification a few weeks ago. Further details have now emerged about the sport's 'green' route, including plans to have cars run without the use of fuel in the pitlane.
    Electric-only in the pitlanes
    While the current generation of hybrid technology (KERS) runs in parallel to the engine, 2014 will see the introduction of serial hybrid units, meaning cars can run on electricity along, without burning fuel while in the pitlane.

Under article 5.19 of the regulations, cars must run in "electric mode" while in the pitlane. “The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane,” reads the regulations.
    Increased hybrid capacity
    In order to further stimulate research into hybrid technology for transfer to road cars, the FIA has doubled the power of kinetic energy recovery systems for 2014 – from 60 kW this year to 120 kW in 2014, equal to approximately 160 hp.

The braking energy recovery system will have a maximum energy output of 4 MJ per lap – meaning 33.3 seconds deployment at its full power of 160 hp. However, energy input will be limited to 2 MJ per lap, meaning drivers will only have an average of 16.6 seconds of deployment per lap, still more than today's 6.6 seconds.
    “The maximum power used to propel or brake the car through the MGUK [motor generator unit – kinetic] must not exceed 120 kW,” reads article 5.2.2.
    “Energy input from the MGUK to the ES [energy store] may not exceed 2 MJ in any one lap and energy released from the ES to the MGUK may not exceed 4 MJ in any one lap,” reads article 5.2.3.
    Number of gears
    From 2014, teams will no longer be able to change gear ratios between Grands Prix, meaning the same ratios will have to be used at such extreme tracks as Monaco and Monza. To help teams cope with this change, the number of forward gears will be increased to eight.

This year, teams have to nominate 30 ratios to use during the season and were limited to 7 per race, but could change ratios for the individual demands of each track. For 2014 however, teams will be allowed to nominate new gear ratios once during the season.
    Article 9.6.1 and 9.6.2 read: “The number of forward gear ratios must be 8. Each competitor must nominate the forward gear ratios to be employed within their gearbox. These nominations must be declared ... at or before the first Event of the Championship.
    “For 2014 only, a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void. Ratio re-nominations must be declared as a set and may only be effected by the substitution of change gears.”
    Engine specification
    Alongside confirmation of the 1.6-litre V6 engine formula – with a fixed V angle of 90°C, as is in force today – the FIA has also confirmed a fuel flow limit of 100 kg/hour. This mass flow limit reduces when the engine's revs drop below 10,500 at a rate of 9 kg/hour per 1,000 rpm.

“Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100 kg/h. Below 10500 rpm the fuel mass flow must not exceed Q (kg/h) = 0.009 N (rpm) + 5,” read articles 5.1.4 and 5.1.5.
    Cylinder bore diameter has been fixed at 80 mm, while the weight of the engine unit (including KERS) has been set at 155 kg. The weight of the energy store for the KERS must lie between 20 and 25 kg.
    Starting the engine
    Another advantage of the serial hybrid will be that drivers will be able to start their engines without external assistance. Currently, cars are started via an external starter motor, but from 2014 cars must be started by the driver from the steering wheel without assistance.

This new rule has the side-effect of bringing an end to drivers having to retire with stalled engines.
    “It must be possible for the driver to start the engine at any time when seated normally at the wheel and without any external assistance,” reads article 5.18.
    The current draft of the 2014 technical regulations can be found on the FIA website.

http://www.manipef1.com/news/articles/12449/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Luckily I can still watch live GP on any one of the French, German and Swiss channels that I get on cable. If only there wasn't a delay on internet radio this (+ BBC radio coverage) would be the perfect set up.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No pause button so you can sync the sound to the action on your cable box?

Thanks to beerman

GTI (31st July 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    No pause button so you can sync the sound to the action on your cable box?
    Genius idea, hadn't thought of that.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    I agree with cricket darts & speedway, they got me into speedway with their excellent coverage - a decent event every Monday.

However, the coverage is produced centrally and I don't know how they expect to improve on that?

At the moment they have additional cameras for 3D coverage of the premier league (for example) but the main match footage all comes from IMG Media who broadcast the lot for the premier league. I am interested to know if & how they will be able to improve the F1 coverage, exclusively and in a way that hasn't been seen before.
    I should of hyphenated better! More cameras, more exposure and more sport to occupy the proles from boredom and unrest. Cretins!

BBC still have a good deal tbh for the fly by nighters into F1 like me.
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

As soon as the F1 sponsors see the ratings drop on the sky races, they'll never make this stupid mistake again.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    As soon as the F1 sponsors see the ratings drop on the sky races, they'll never make this stupid mistake again.
    No chance! F1 will grow from this and Bernie can get that ivory back scratcher he always wanted!
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bernie Ecclestone was happy enough to hold the Bahrain Grand Prix while the Saudi army was shooting protesters. Do you think he cares about keeping F1 on terrestrial television? And what part of the BBC's function is served by paying exorbitant TV rights for an elitist engineering competition that other broadcasters are willing and able to show? The point of the BBC is to make original, innovative and informing programming that other broadcasters don't make, mixed in with a bit of populist rubbish so that the masses don't just turn off. Yes, there is a public interest in showing iconic sporting events to as many as possible, but not at any cost. Silverstone is an iconic event. So is Monaco. Is the Chinese Grand Prix an iconic event? No, no it isn't. Is the Turkish Grand Prix? No, because there's no one there to watch it, even though it's a good circuit for overtaking. Is the Singapore Grand Prix? Yes, because it's a street race at night so it looks pretty. Is the Adelaide Grand Prix? No, because it's on at 4am. Is Wimbledon an iconic event? Yes, yes and yes. I don't think anyone should be disappointed or angered by this. Actually, they should be pleasantly surprised that the BBC has retained any coverage at all.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's not the opinion of a Motor Sport fan, the fact that the sport is evolving and mostly getting better is no bad thing. Events that have been traditionally covered by the BBC should still be covered, the Concorde does not end until after the next season and once that finishes ALL coverage will drop from the Beeb, it's doubtful that they are satisfying the terms for the last year as it is. As a fan since about 1965 I have come very close to dropping F1 over the years for a number of reasons but the TV coverage of Motorsport is "niche" at best and is getting worse. I wish the A1 series had survived as I found it near the end of its short life and loved it, time for a breakaway series?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPill View Post
    s. I don't think anyone should be disappointed or angered by this. Actually, they should be pleasantly surprised that the BBC has retained any coverage at all.
    Yeah..sacrifice the F1 for BBC 3, Radio 1 and shitty dance/talent programs.

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

casio (1st August 2011)  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks