Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Sky and BBC to televise F1 from 2012

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.
    The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.
    Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.
    BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.
    Both companies will broadcast in high definition.
    Races screened by the BBC will be live on the BBC Sport website for UK users.
    The BBC will have highlights on TV, online and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.
    Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.
    "The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.
    "With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."
    Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.
    Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9550930.stm

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky and BBC to televise F1 from 2012

Another reason why the TV licence is a load of shit. Who wants to see only half the races? You can't enjoy F1 on the radio.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Another reason why the TV licence is a load of shit. Who wants to see only half the races? You can't enjoy F1 on the radio.
    I can confirm that the numpties have taken over the BBC.

I follow F1 and watch every race even setting my alarm clock to watch the race live.
    What were they thinking, I can only presume that the viewer ratings will drop for F1 now.

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hahahahahaha half a race wtf.

What next? Half a football match?

Thanks to Thrush

raelmadrid (29th July 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    hahahahahaha half a race wtf.

What next? Half a football match?
    lol - comprehension fail.

5 Thanks given to Waka

Billhouse (29th July 2011),  crashtestmac (29th July 2011),  super mike (31st July 2011),  Thrush (29th July 2011),  ZX7R (29th July 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It says half the races.......

LOL

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh well. that's that for me then, apart from an occasional Sky Sport rental (like now for the Tests) I don't have it and won't for the F1, I've been following F1 since the mid 60's but they just lost me, fucking morons!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

2 Thanks given to blaggard

Billhouse (29th July 2011),  bomberman (29th July 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i mean the only way i can see it tollerable is if they dont do what ITV did and get all of the adverts out of the way before the race and show some after the race like they have with other sports such as football and rugby. but i dont know if they can get away with that. but in all honesty this is going to be a joke just like when they launched their shit F1 channel which barely lasted a season. its just ridiculous i dont understand this shit when bernie said he wants F1 to remain on free to air tv which is a typical load of shit becuase he has made another shed load of cash by selling F1 to sky.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...-stay-BBC.html

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ecclescunt was ALWAYS going to follow the cash, this is entirely down to the BBC and to make matters worse its a done deal, no amount of campaigning, petitioning can have any effect!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky will air this uninterrupted, they must! Practice and Qualifying will be a different story however.
    It is wrong that the public do not have a say in this.... I am really enjoying the sport again and this is a low blow.

In hindsight however, the 50% of the races BBC show will probably (hopefully) be the ones that are on during the day rather than early hours of the morning. I know the Japanese GP is normally a good one, but to be honest you don't mind getting up to watch the highlights (extended) on a Sunday morning rather than the whole thing at stupid-am.

TIme will tell.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Sky will air this uninterrupted, they must! Practice and Qualifying will be a different story however.
    It is wrong that the public do not have a say in this.... I am really enjoying the sport again and this is a low blow.

In hindsight however, the 50% of the races BBC show will probably (hopefully) be the ones that are on during the day rather than early hours of the morning. I know the Japanese GP is normally a good one, but to be honest you don't mind getting up to watch the highlights (extended) on a Sunday morning rather than the whole thing at stupid-am.

TIme will tell.
    Yeah but can you imagine on a super sunday for footy or a clash on a saturday f1 will be red button access only thats the shit thing which will really piss me off and yeah like everyone is pretty much saying F1 is getting so good and i am enjoying it this is just gonna send the coverage backwards

Thanks
    Karma Level

My family who live in canada, download the grand prix and do not watch it live because the bbc coverage(with no ads and commentry) is superior to any other broadcaster. I hope the f1 ratings drop and bernie dies.

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

lithho (2nd August 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    "We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment"
    Yeah, you'll fill the coverage full of adverts. Cunts

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    Yeah but can you imagine on a super sunday for footy or a clash on a saturday f1 will be red button access only thats the shit thing which will really piss me off and yeah like everyone is pretty much saying F1 is getting so good and i am enjoying it this is just gonna send the coverage backwards
    You do realise there are 4 Sky Sports channels yes? They have plenty of free airtime for it no need to put it on red button at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Yeah, you'll fill the coverage full of adverts. Cunts
    Dont see why? They dont screen adverts through any Movies or Football Matches (unlike ITVHD)

If they did though I agree all credibility would go especially after the outcry over ITVs F1 coverage!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Dont see why? They dont screen adverts through any Movies or Football Matches (unlike ITVHD)

If they did though I agree all credibility would go especially after the outcry over ITVs F1 coverage!
    I doubt they'd put them in the middle of the action like ITV did but even sticking them in the build up will be bad enough. I love the way the BBC always has something going on, keeps me glued to the screen for 3 hours.

Thanks to beerman

lithho (2nd August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

after 30ish years of watching the f1 as of the end of this season im done with it I refuse to give Rupert and his shithouse cronies a single penny, ive done without the wrc I can do the same with f1,
    Well done bernie you twat

I dont know if anyone has noticed but you can already watch free practice 1,2 and 3 live on the red button as well as online http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9550970.stm

Thanks to casio

Billhouse (29th July 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    You do realise there are 4 Sky Sports channels yes? They have plenty of free airtime for it no need to put it on red button at all!!

Yeah but on sundays how much do they fill the tv with other sports, NFL always get a channel,. super sunday will get a channel la liga will get coverage, rugby will get coverage until the cricket finishees in september that will get coverage, if there is a golf tournament on ie european tour that will get coverage, i just dont see how they will be able to squeeze it in on a sunday its just mental, also they have to show a certain number of games from particular leagues so premiership will get coverage, SPL will get their fair share of coverage too.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Im sure if any it'll be one of the other minor attractions thats relegated to the red button m8 not F1 if it happens!

When is Super Sunday on ever on at the same time as La Liga anyway?
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky is a waste of money unless you're a football fan, an occasional Cricket match and F1 makes stupidly pricey. I have Sky Sports 1 plus the HD version just for the Summer Tests and it's costing loads. I will stop watching F1, 35 years plus of support ends and I won't be alone, Ecclestone you fucking greedy, evil little streak of shit, hurry up and croak!

3 Thanks given to blaggard

4me2 (29th July 2011),  lithho (2nd August 2011),  Tim.Lad (30th July 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I can see this being on channels other than their sports ones, to get & maintain more subscribers of any level.

The cheaper option is get a dish & lnb for £20 and point it at 19.2e for RTL free to air (hd isn't FTA though).

2 Thanks given to beansontoast

4me2 (29th July 2011),  casio (29th July 2011)  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks