Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Apple Has Hired JailbreakMe Superstar Comex

Those familiar with the iOS jailbreaking world are probably aware of Nicholas Allegra, commonly known as Comex, the author of the incredibly popular jailbreaking tool JailbreakMe. Now, he revealed in a tweet that he will be working as an internee at the company whose devices he loves hacking; Apple!

Earlier this month, the well-known publication Forbes Magazine interviewed Comex. Before this interview, not many knew his real identity, where he lived or many of his aspirations. In addition to a fair amount of personal details, the interview reveals that Nicholas had taken a leave from college in order to pursue an internship. More likely than not, he received a call from Apple shortly after, and he’ll now be joining his beloved company as an intern “the week after next”:

"So, the week after next I will be starting an internship with Apple."

As one might expect, given Apple’s well-known secretive practices, we might never find out what Comex will be doing at Apple as an intern, but the company has definitely recruited him for his great vulnerability detection skills. There, he could actually make it harder for future versions of iOS to be jailbroken, which some would see it as a betrayal of his community, which after all spends countless hours per day trying to decrypt new versions of iOS as they come out, in order to jailbreak them. Despite this, reaction to this news has been so far very positive, and it should be: a job at Apple is what many would aspire to have, Nicholas should definitely get the most out of this well-deserved lifetime opportunity.

"Thanks for the congratulations everyone; I was expecting a more negative response "

Comex is as geeky as many of us would aspire to be. At age 9, he began programming using Visual Basic by reading online tutorials, giving him a huge edge over his peers at his Computer Science classes in High School, which he deemed useless to him.

This is not the first time that a well-known member of the iOS jailbreak community has been hired by popular companies. Back in June, Facebook confirmed that George Hotz, who first became known in 2007 for being the first in the world to successfully unlock the original iPhone, had joined the social networking company to work on a "secret project", presumably related to the social networking site’s mobile efforts. One month earlier, we reported exclusively that Peter Hajas, creator of the well-known MobileNotifier tweak for iOS, had joined Apple as a developer.

Indeed, Comex isn’t the first from the jailbreak community to land on a job of his dreams, and he likely won’t be the last.

Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Apple Has Hired JailbreakMe Superstar Comex

Saw this on Twitter last night. Good on him for making some money using his skills but all it means is that it will be harder for others in the future.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Comex is as geeky as many of us would aspire to be. At age 9, he began programming using Visual Basic by reading online tutorials, giving him a huge edge over his peers at his Computer Science classes in High School, which he deemed useless to him.
    I am sure he will make an excellent CEO.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am in two minds about this, on the one hand I am very happy to see him making such a success out of his work, on the more selfish hand I am worried about the future of jailbreaking. He is so talented that if he is indeed being employed to spot and patch vulnerabilities in iOS then it will pretty much kill the userland JB scene. Better hackers may well appear but this will surely slow down progress on future hacks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

In time for ios5.. So bad news for us lot who want to jailbreak in the future.. But fair play to him.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good news for Android I suppose !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good on him! Yes it could make it harder to jb in future but that's part of the fun isn't it?

The likes of Hotz and comex are probably rare given their ages but think of all the time, effort and more importantly the women they've missed out on thanks to their hobby that sucks up most if not all of their free time. It's not like they would get much female interest if they walked into the pub and walked up to a woman and said 'oh the 4.1.2 jailbreak- yeah yeah... that was me' at least now he'll make some contacts, money and probably get chance to rattle a couple of apple fangirls or fanboys depending on his persuasion

Plus if the hackers that make the iPhone better through jailbreaking get to add to iOS directly that can only be a good thing, you never know one day a jailbreak might not be needed -although I don't think that's likely lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I think it wouyld be unwize for apple to tighten down too far on jailbreaking - why did loads of us get our xbox 360's?

Back when the iphone was the only big name phone, a load of people thought it was shite until it was broken. Now that we have loads of other big name phones, I reckon they need to keep jailbreaking around for those that resent the closed philosophy if they are to stay in the game. Just think, no jailbreaks, half of df users wouldn't touch them, and how many df'ers get asked by their mates for recommendations on kit.......

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Personally I think it wouyld be unwize for apple to tighten down too far on jailbreaking - why did loads of us get our xbox 360's?

Back when the iphone was the only big name phone, a load of people thought it was shite until it was broken. Now that we have loads of other big name phones, I reckon they need to keep jailbreaking around for those that resent the closed philosophy if they are to stay in the game. Just think, no jailbreaks, half of df users wouldn't touch them, and how many df'ers get asked by their mates for recommendations on kit.......
    Not only that, a lot of their new ideas are taken from JB developers, their ideas may be a bit slower if that community disappeared.