Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech How To: Disable Windows 8 Metro UI And Ribbon UI

Posted on Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips
    I’m sure plenty of you have installed the Windows 8 developer preview. So far it seems that people are more than happy with it, however I’m slightly annoyed with the new Metro UI at times because I’m only using it on my laptop without a touchscreen. I’m sure the experience is completely different on a touchscreen but I am yet to try it out so until then I’ll reserve my comment on it.
    I’ve found it difficult at times to do simply things like even shutting down Windows 8 or searching for things. With Windows 7 it’s as simple as going to the start menu and everything is at your fingertips. But now everytime I click on that start menu it flips back to the Metro UI. That sent me looking for a solution, I wanted to be able to turn off the metro UI and that lead me to MetroController. It allows you to disable some or even all of the new Metro features in Windows 8.
    This is a handy little piece of software. It allows you to either
    • Disable Metro UI, Start Screen, Explorer Ribbon UI and Enable the Old Start Menu
    • Or you can just disable the Metro UI, Start Screen and Bring back the old Start Menu but still keep the new Explorer Ribbon UI
    So you’ve a bit of control over what you disable which is nice, as I do like the new Explorer Ribbon

You can download the program from the link below
    Metro Controller

Download
    Source:
    WinAero
    How To: Disable Windows 8 Metro UI And Ribbon UI is a post from Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips - The Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumours & Screenshots. Visit Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips for the Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumors, Tips, Themes, Wallpapers & Guides.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How To: Disable Windows 8 Metro UI And Ribbon UI

There is a Reg Hack for this and i did that Yesterday.What I was left with was what looked exactly like windows 7.
    Only with a lot less in it.

Now is it just me or has anyone thought about how Microsoft design something and the the greater community have to write some thing to make tweaks to make it work better.
    Why cant MS get the message, we want some control over our lives.
    Have Metro if you want. but give those on a desktop an option to remove it,built in.
    Last edited by danthescan; 19th September 2011 at 10:17 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As I understand it MS have deliberately left out the ability to turn off Metro in this developer build to encourage developers to concentrate on Metro based apps (or something like that..). There's no chance Win8 won't have the option to disable it. You have to remember how early a release this is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How To: Disable Windows 8 Metro UI And Ribbon UI

Fair point but,Apps = programmes and we all use them already.I installed Acrobat, Chrome, Word, Exel and Outlook,which added 19 Tiles to the Metro screen.its getting longer as we speak.We don't need apps,we already have them in spades on a PC.What we need are Developers designing nice tiles for the hundreds of apps we use on a computer.
    Metro might be nice on a phone where you have a few APPS,but on a pc,everything we install cant just be on a Metro UI,I t's far too many.We can remove them all by unpinning,but then there is no real quick way of getting to them if we need them.No Start menu.We can put them on the desktop and get them there but then what was the point in the first place.

It doe's seem quick and stable for a very early release,but its sitting on Win 7 so it should.

Just early days yet.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by danthescan View Post
    We can remove them all by unpinning,but then there is no real quick way of getting to them if we need them.No Start menu.We can put them on the desktop and get them there but then what was the point in the first place.
    But there IS a start menu. It's just been disabled for this release! You dont think they'll release Win8 without the option of having a standard desktop environment and/or access to the start menu from Metro do you?
    I think the point of Metro is it's going to be aimed at touchscreen monitors and devices. But I'll say this, my kids can use a mouse, but they have me start programs for them because they're not great with the start menu>program idea. With Metro they've had no problem opening the flash card apps. So maybe it's an accessibility environment too?
    As long as there's the original desktop as well as Metro (which there will be) then I think it has loads of benefits. I can create a user with nothing on the screen but flash cards and cute games and my kids won't tend to fuck up my machine if they can get to what they want right away. Similarly a less adept or less able bodied person may find the Metro screen easier to navigate. Gotta be a plus in there somewhere.