Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help 4 ohm to 8 ohm speakers?

I have some speakers that are 4 ohm but I am looking to buy a surround sound amp that only accepts 8 ohm speakers. Can I use a resistor or impedance coil or something that will allow me to use 4 ohm speakers?

Karma will be given in your life, should you accept this task.

x
    What if the Hokey Cokey "IS" what it's all about?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not really - the impedance of a speaker varies with frequency - known as an impedance curve - 4 being the nominal value of the speaker- it's not a simple resistive load you can modify- most amps can drive 4 ohms for short periods - ie passages of music. Unless you are constantly hammering it you may be ok - what's the amp & speakers ?

Thanks to braymond

pete252 (14th November 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 4 ohm to 8 ohm speakers?

there's no reason why you can't use 4 ohm speakers although the amp might recommend 8 ohms it just means it will drive the amp a bit harder but the chances are with it being a surround system the speakers won't be demanding too much current from the amp anyway
    the size of the speakers would give you an indication of how much demand the might put on an amp if there bookshelf size i wouldn't be too worried but if there large floorstanders i would be a little more concerned
    putting a 4 ohm resistor in series isn't really a good idea all it will do is soak half of the amps power up and dissipate it as heat
    i'm sure there would be a impedance matching coil of sorts out there but personally i wouldn't bother

if you have a chance to try the amp with the speakers before you buy or can buy with an understanding that if the amp struggles with your current speakers you can take it back that is what i would do your own ears will tell you hive the amp is having a hard time driving the speakers

a lot of higher end amps will give you it's speck at 8 ohms and 4 ohms a perfect amp would double it power output into 4 ohm with the same distortion figures but not many do
    the trouble with cheaper amps is the spec they give at 8 ohms will be right on the limit so when you put 4 ohm speakers on them they struggle but if the amp is anything half decent it shouldn't be a problem

Thanks to cosmicma

Thanks
    Karma Level

From my understanding, too low impedance (ohms), and whack the power up and you risk damaging your amp. (No set level for when it may cause damage). However from experience I've never popped an amp by doing so, and I've even put some stupidly low impedences by putting speakers in parallel and stuff. My experience matches cosmicma on this that the better amps seemed to handle this better while the crappy ones would sound crap.

One idea could be to put two speakers in series to double up the impedance although it obviously won't be in stereo anymore unless you have another pair (that probably sound slightly different as your other channel).

Thanks to Over Carl

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

you will probably be fine. as others say above only driving a 4 ohm load at constant high level would cause issues with a badly designed amp, if its a surround sound amp of reasonable quality it will be fitted with a current over limit detector anyway which willl switch the output relay off. you may find it just trips out at high level. if it does this regularly then its either a bit of crappy amp or the speakers are a particularly nasty load - both unlikely.
    virtually no amps have the same distortion performance at 4r as 8r - and very few can genuinely achieve double the output power into a 4r load, it requires a very beefy supply. for example most surround sound amps quote 7 x 100w. This is a rather meaningless stat anyway as it doesnt quote the distortion - but NONE of them could continually drive 100w into 4r at say 0.1% thd. your surround amp would be the size of a dishwasher :-)
    ive just built an amp that can do this, but its only stereo and cost £700 in parts alone

2 Thanks given to braymond

Over Carl (10th November 2011),  pete252 (14th November 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Any chance of a new thread for your amp - would love to see it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

its with a client being tested - but i will post some pics when it comes back to me to be finished (no on off switch yet!)

Thanks to braymond

Over Carl (10th November 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

krell amps double up

funnily enough i was going to buy the krell ksa 50 back in the 80's to go with the AR 9LS speakers but i found the perreaux pmf 1150b to be a better power amp
    now i have the kef reference model 4's the amps that make em sing are you guessed it KRELL
    not got the perreaux now the meridians that replaced it sound good but i always wonder about the krell
    maybe if i win the lottery

bit off topic there......

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicma View Post
    krell amps double up

funnily enough i was going to buy the krell ksa 50 back in the 80's to go with the AR 9LS speakers but i found the perreaux pmf 1150b to be a better power amp
    now i have the kef reference model 4's the amps that make em sing are you guessed it KRELL
    not got the perreaux now the meridians that replaced it sound good but i always wonder about the krell
    maybe if i win the lottery

bit off topic there......
    Krells double up in power but Im willing to bet if you sweep the thd across 20k it's worse at 4 . There are honestly virtually no amps with the same thd at 4r.

But yes we are going off topic lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to all concerned, good advice as usual. I did try the 4ohm speakers but they sounded utter shite. Also didn't realise that the amp needed an active Sub - that has got to be a con!! Ended up getting a new set of speakers with active sub, quite nice now.
    What if the Hokey Cokey "IS" what it's all about?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Active subs are pretty standard tbh.