I don't know if this should be in the apple section or in here and seeing how its book related I thought this was more applicable

If you're anything like me you know you have far too many books, I don't want to sell them or give them away but I do want to organize them and know which I've already bought and read, so I went hunting for something to help me. I found some applications for the mac that using either a usb barcode scanner or the web cam will read the barcode and then pull down the details but this isn't really practical when you have 700+ books of various shapes and sizes (and weights lol) so i carried on, and couldnt help thinking I wonder if I can do it on the iPhone and you can.

there's an app called Home Library and its great its not on the iPad in its own right but you can just click on the 2x to make it almost full screen, using the camera on either the iPod/iPad or the iPhone you can scan the barcode and it'll go off pull down the metadata and the cover on its own and create a library that you can publish online/back up or save to your PC/Mac and open with excel for editing or what ever.

the nice thing is if you're out and you spot a book and you dont know if you already have it, you scan the barcode and it'll tell you, not only that but it works out how much you book collection is worth which for insurance along with the list books would be a help, you can create libraries of other stuff like movies, music and other stuff just by scanning their barcodes which again for insurance I've found incredibly helpful

its 69p and is well worth the money
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/home-...399196568?mt=8