Close

Thread: Sharm El Sheik

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Sharm El Sheik

I'm thinking in booking up for Sharm El Sheik for September of this year, but with the civil unrest in Cairo I'm not so sure. Has anyone on this forum be there and can they recommend any good hotels?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sharm El Sheik

Sharm el Sheikh is far.. far away from the political situation in the Capital, it might as well be a different country.
    Sharm, Hurghada etc.. are pretty much run and owned by corporations, so they have every interest in keeping things safe and welcoming for tourists. The other point to not is that native Egyptians don't live out there in the Sinai Peninsula, the only Egyptians you find there are those flown in to cater for tourism. So you're not going to see any demonstrations in these areas, because nobody lives there
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Welcome aboard Mark.

Very interesting topic this. I'm taking the missus to Egypt this year for her 40th Birthday and have also been wondering the same thing.

@GTI
    Some solid information there and is pretty much what I thought too. Without the tourist attractions, Egypt would be in a lot worse state and it's something Egyptians need to rely on for a lot of it's income.
    I went to Luxor back in Late '97 and it was one of the best (and cheapest) trips I ever had. With armed guard on every street corner, it was a bit daunting, but you also felt strangely safe at the same time.

There seems to always be a drama in Egypt, their tourist industry may slump for a period, but it picks up just as quickly. Egypt is simply a stunning country to visit.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sharm is much more up to date than hurgarda you must do a boat trip prices are great and its a day out you wont regret would not go back to hurgarda its more geared for cheap scuba diving holidays

Jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went to Sharm last June, was piping hot, 40 degrees. Brilliant place, remember to take some anti diorrhea tablets tho as the shits you get are insane, I had them for 3 weeks after I returned.

Id stop in Naama bay, its the most built up bay in Sharm, more to do, you will get hassled in Naama bay tho. The egyptian men are perverts aswell, they will shout lewd things as your missus when they drive past, just ignore it all.

Id do back in a heart beat, by the way, you must do the quad biking in the desert, I paid £10 and its a fantastic experience, if I went earlier in the week I would have done it another 2 times. Cant grumble for the price.

Dont expect a lot of nightclubs, its more shisha bars but there are a few nightclubs like Pacha and Hard rock cafe to goto.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was in Sharm about 4 months ago when there was some unrest in that square in Cairo - there was absolutely zero trouble in Sharm - its literally miles and miles away from the rest of egypt (sharm actually was part of israel till about the 60`s I think) in fact when your in cairo Luxor or hurghada etc etc your in North Africa but Sharm is still classed as being in Asia.

Seeing as Im a knobhead I went to Cairo when the trouble was all kicking off and had a guide take me round and the egyptians were all still very good with me - after all its not the tourists they dont like its there own government they hate, so I wouldnt worry at all about being caught up in any trouble -especially in sharm though you will get pissed off with people hassling u to buy crap off them but thats just the way it is there just learn to say No and walk on and if you do want something haggle like fuck for it as they normalyl ask u for at least triple what they want to start with and just walk away if they want more than your prepared to pay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the replies people and I'm aware that it's about a five hour bus ride to Cairo from Sharm, but a lot of the businesses that are based there are owned by people from Cairo and that was my reason for question. I think I'll book up based on the information I've read.

Mark

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

can recommend sensatori sharm-el-sheikh when last year August great place..

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destination...el-sheikh.html
    VIP WOOP !