Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Bruno Senna signed by Williams for 2012 F1 season

Bruno Senna signed by Williams for 2012 F1 season

Senna raced for HRT in 2010 and Renault in 2011

Brazilian Bruno Senna has signed to drive for Williams in 2012.
    The move means the 28-year-old is joining the team for which his uncle Ayrton Senna was driving when he was killed in 1994.
    He was preferred to veteran countryman Rubens Barrichello for the position and will partner Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado.
    Senna impressed sporadically after being drafted in by the Renault team in the final races of last season.
    His only other experience of F1 is spending the 2010 season with the struggling HRT team.
    "I feel very privileged Williams has selected me as one of their race drivers," said Senna, who will make his debut for Williams in Jerez, Spain on 9 February in the first of the team's winter tests.
    "The team has a great heritage and I hope I can help write a good chapter in their history.

"The evaluation process has been intense and methodical, but the time I have spent in the factory has demonstrated the team has great people and all the resources needed to achieve better things this season.
    "It will be very interesting to drive for a team that my uncle has driven for, particularly as quite a few of the people here actually worked with Ayrton.
    "Hopefully we can bring back some memories and create some great new ones too."
    Asked about how he copes with carrying on the Senna legacy in F1, Bruno told Radio 5 live: "It's something that's been present for me since my first race, and I have learned how to deal with the memories I bring of Ayrton.

"It's very good for me to bring back memories of Ayrton in people. People are very fond of Ayrton and I am in no way trying to take his spotlight.
    "It brings me a great feeling, and I'm sure it's going to be more special every day."
    Barrichello, who will be 40 this year, had been hoping to extend his F1 career into a 20th season but Williams preferred to go for the promise and potential of Senna rather than Barrichello's proven pace and experience.
    There was support among some sections of the Williams team for Barrichello keeping the drive, on the basis that he is a proven talent and because of his renowned technical expertise.
    Williams had the worst season in their history in 2011 and are in the middle of a rebuilding process, with a new technical director, chief aerodynamicist and chief engineer, and some in the team felt they could benefit from the continuity and experience Barrichello would have brought.

However, sources close to Williams say the relationship between driver and management soured as a result of the slide in the team's results.
    Team owner Frank Williams said: "The circumstances of Bruno's two seasons in Formula One have not given him an ideal opportunity to deliver consistently.
    "So it was essential we spent as much time with him as possible to understand and evaluate him as a driver.
    "We have done this both on track and in our simulator and he has proven quick, technically insightful and above all capable of learning and applying his learning quickly and consistently.
    "Now we are looking forward to seeing that talent in our race car."

The only remaining free seat in F1 for 2012 is the second HRT alongside veteran Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa.
    But Barrichello is considered unlikely to want to drive for the back-of-the-grid Spanish team.
    Veteran Italian Jarno Trulli's tenure at Caterham - who raced as Lotus last year - is also believed to be insecure, but Russian Vitaly Petrov, who drove for Renault in 2010 and 2011, is tipped to get that seat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/16587505.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bruno Senna signed by Williams for 2012 F1 season

I wouldn't drive for them if I was him... Not after they killed his uncle, the greatest racing driver ever, with their negligence.

2 Thanks given to beacytan

Mr 250 (17th January 2012),  Tim.Lad (17th January 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Agreed something a bit unnerving about his signing
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

we go from Senna in a black and gold Lotus to Senna in a Williams Renult... it could be a very good year

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope he's better than that prize cunt, Nelson Piquet Jr.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

he couldn't be worse than NPjr, all he has to do is avoid driving into a wall so his team mate can win, its a pretty low standard

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beacytan View Post
    I wouldn't drive for them if I was him... Not after they killed his uncle, the greatest racing driver ever, with their negligence.
    He was the biggest Cunt ever totally on par with Schitmacher !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    He was the biggest Cunt ever totally on par with Schitmacher !
    course he was....

unfortunately that's not what most of the current professional f1 drivers say, so i'll glady agree with them, rather than your good self.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beacytan View Post
    course he was....

unfortunately that's not what most of the current professional f1 drivers say, so i'll glady agree with them, rather than your good self.
    18 years ago they would have all been in nappies.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    18 years ago they would have all been in nappies.
    i wouldn't have thought so, being as shumaker was in 2nd place behind senna in the race when he died. (schumaker says senna was the best ever)

and even if they were in nappies (which they clearly weren't) would that then mean that your knowledge supercedes theirs? because what? because you are obviously (a lot?) older? so let me get this right, you, a mod, sorry admin on here, and whatever you do as a career (i heard you are a cleaner?) know more about f1 - past and present, than a load of past and present f1 drivers? (wait - you're not bernie ecclestone are you?) is that what you mean with your pointless unexplained comments?

if you have a personal opinion to put forward, that's against general consensus, at least explain why or it just makes you look like you are trolling.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem is Senna would do ANYTHING to win, even if it involved risking others. The only good thing to come out of his death is the amount of ££££ gone into safety for the drivers. It can be argued that if he didnt die there would could have been alot more fatalities in F1.

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

beacytan (18th January 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    Problem is Senna would do ANYTHING to win, even if it involved risking others. The only good thing to come out of his death is the amount of ££££ gone into safety for the drivers. It can be argued that if he didnt die there would could have been alot more fatalities in F1.
    i agree on both points. but his 'banzai' driving is what endeared fellow f1 drivers (and regular fans) to him. the fact that 2 drivers died in 2 days, like you say, meant a lot of more time/money went into making driver safe after that, which was some good coming out of 2 terrible events.