Close

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Courses.. narrowed it down to 2...

Found 2 courses , obviously can only choose 1 of them. The reason I would like to do a course and not be "self taught", is that I would like a structured approach to the learning process, instead of randomly picking at info off the net. Anyway here are the courses...

http://www.inst.org/photography-courses-us/ UK £551.00

Here's what you get at part of the course pack:
    • Quick Start guide, to get you started on the course.
    • A sturdily bound set of course modules that lies flat for ease of study. They contain detailed, practical information that guides you skillfully towards becoming a professional photographer.
    • 14 photography assignments. Your assignments will be carefully marked with personal advice by an experienced tutor.
    • A stylish case that keeps all your course material.
    • A study guide and planner that helps you organize your study.
    • Self-assessment exercises. They occur throughout the course to help you get organized for photography. They also check that you can tackle each type of photography.
    • Course text book.
    • Question and Answer sheets for you to have your queries answered.
    • 49 Winning Ways to Promote your Service booklet. Great ideas to get you started. This booklet is not available elsewhere.
    • Press pass Gets you free entry to events
    • Photographic software to use on your computer

We reserve the right to improve, amend or extend the topics and pack contents mentioned here.

And when you complete the course, you'll get the following free items:

• A handsome Diploma to frame and display on your wall
    • 3A 'Certified Photographer' logo (right) to put on your website and your notepaper
    • A press release sent to your local newspapers (if you want). It announces that you're setting up your photography practice
      The right to put your contact details on our photographers' database. It could bring you work
    • An open reference that shows you have completed the course, and which may open doors for you
    • The letters Dip. Pro Photo (Inst P.P) after your name.

The benefits of this couse, is that you get a physical copy sent to your door of all the course notes... which the next one doesnt offer... It is also an acredited course, which I dont think the next one is?

http://www.thephotographyinstitute.c...cfm/apg/course

This one is slightly cheaper, probably because you dont get a set of course notes delivered.

Payment Option 2:

Pay monthly. 6 Month Payment Plan.
    £91.67 per month for the next 6 months.

Anyone had any experiences of these 2 website and the course they offer? looking to start one in June..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Courses.. narrowed it down to 2...

Depends what you want from it at the end. If you are thinking of becoming pro, or gaining a recognized qualification, no certificate in photography will hold much weight unless its a Masters or higher, or some sort of Magnum endorsed thing. The whole idea of a certificate in professional photography just sounds a bit...bullshit to be honest which puts me off the first one.

Doing a course like this will probably improve your ability to use the camera and how to compose a text book photo, which is no bad thing but after doing my course I found probably 75% of the benefit I got from it was the experience of spending time with other photographers and with a great tutor.

Of course this in not always an option if there's nothing local and a structured course like this is certainly better that scratching around the net as you said. For the basics of photography I would imagine either of the courses will cover all the bases but certainly dont be swayed by their promises of recognised qualifications and shite like that, If you were ever in a situation where you would typically be presenting yourself to an employer, your portfolio is a million times more important.

If theres no local college offering courses, or you just aint got time to commit to one, have you checked if there's a local club/society? I did this before I lashed out the cash for my City&Guilds and to be honest it was a waste of time as the majority of the members in my local club were mainly retired and it was too much of a social gathering rather than a collection of skilled photographers but some of the clubs in bigger cities seem to be a far more productive and interesting.
    Just remembered, you work on an oil rig don't you? So, I think your access to a college or club may be limited....

On successful completion of the Professional Photography Course you will have the skills and knowledge required to become a freelance photographer either as a full or part time career, as a profitable sideline or just as an exciting new hobby.
    That's almost like saying once you have taken your driving test you have all the skills you need to become an F1 driver.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.inst.org/photography-cour...%20extract.pdf

I have just looked at the sample from the course material for this one. Looks atrocious to be honest. Everything is focused on selling your photography as stock. Most of the info is common sense, or non sense.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the 2nd course seems to be the better one imo. 909 I work on a standby vessel servicing the rigs, so any idea of attending colleges is basically out, as i work 4 weeks on 4 weeks off. Any course I do would have to be distace learning. I live in Norwich, and I done a quick search for camera clubs the other day, my results turning up hardly any, and the one that did, looked like as you said members in a local club , and more of a social gathering. I can understand some of these courses will say things to sell the product to you, like saying you will be a fully fledged professional photographer at the end of it, with the experience Ive had in life, learning anything is more about being hands on with people of the trade, which I will certainly try and endeavour to do in my time off - but for the moment these courses offer a structured approach to learning the basics instead of trawling through random pieces of info on the web. Any certificate I get will just be a nice picture in a frame...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I can dig it.

Personally I still cant say I'd recommend one of those courses over reading a good photography book, although the structure of a course, with the feedback from a tutor is quite good on paper, I cant speak on another individuals behalf as to if his/her advice would be worth listening to in the first place.

If you are certainly set on doing one, I would def rule the first one out, what other options are there?

Mite be an idea to scour a few dedicated forums for some more recommendations, or flickr.
    Last edited by {{909}}; 13th February 2012 at 12:06 PM.