Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help mod chip has stopped working

Hi Guys

the mod chip stopped working on my kids wii after the eldest did an internet update to the software.

I tried to recently get it re-modded, but the guy who was gonna do it, says it cant be done due to the original mod chip.

questions:-

CAn't the original mod chip just be removed and replaced?

Is there a way of soft modding without bricking the wii even if a hard mod cannot be done due to the original mod failing as it has???

Sorry I dont have the software version ( ie 4.1 etc, all I know is it failed over a year ago) or the original chip name / model. If someone could point me to this info in the settings I could update with these details..

thanks guys.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: mod chip has stopped working

Can't see why the chip should affect things at all - you should just be able to soft-mod it without removing the chip (I know that Wii-Key and Argon chipped systems can be soft-modded without any problems)

Give it a try

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most likely your using a gamer other than pal 2 and you loose your region free ability if it was updated.
    It happened to everyone using the wiikey a long time ago.
    You can still use a launcher to boot from the disc though.

Sorry i dont know any details on the launcher it's been a year or so for me too.

EDIT:
    After a quick read i think it was neo gamma launcher i used?
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can soft mod it, the mod chip should still work but only for PAL originals (assuming you have a PAL wii). However a lot of more recent games may still have issues as they have new copy protection which mod chips were never updated for.

Theres no reason to remove the mod though, just run the letterbomb hack with an SD card. There's tutorials all over the net, I cant really recommend one as I havnt done one for yonks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't ever remember a wii update knocking out any variety of mod chip 100%. I do recall a couple of things though, first the ability to boot unsigned or scrubbed discs was removed by a wii update, but full iso's did still work.....then there was the New Super Mario Bros protection that all the mod chips had to be revised to cope with, and I know the likes of the Yaosm chip fell over on that....but strangely that protection was only used on that single game.
    Any other mod chip prevention methods by Nintendo were done by hardware revisions as far as I can recall.

I think its more likely that your chip was a something like a no solder clip and the unit has been knocked and the chip connections dislodged, something like that, and not a system update.

Either way, the advice you have already been given stands....softmod it (I advise using the modmii guide/method) and treat it as a virgin unmodded machine in the wizard questions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the replies guys. I got the Wii back last night, the guy removed the old chip, it was tiny - the size of a fingernail, but he said the chip he was replacing it with was much bigger. apparently the chip he was going to install, works fine, but when you plug the sensor in and try to use it it wouldnt work. he said there must be a short on the board or something.

Regarding the Softmod...

What are the risks of bricking the console. I want to keep the wii for the kids, but dont want to make it unusable for the sake of copied games..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steiff1 View Post
    thanks for the replies guys. I got the Wii back last night, the guy removed the old chip, it was tiny - the size of a fingernail, but he said the chip he was replacing it with was much bigger. apparently the chip he was going to install, works fine, but when you plug the sensor in and try to use it it wouldnt work. he said there must be a short on the board or something.
    Utter codswallop...... No chip alters the sensor. And not heard of any chip stopping working after an update, Only other region games not booting on pal.

Softmod done correctly will be like a chipped wii and you can boot from hdd etc.

-=AD=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm afraid to admit, the modder is talking shite steiff1, even if he is fitting a new modchip (which is highly unlikely), you would still need to run some softmods as no modchip can defeat all the copy protection thats in modern games.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd agree the modder sounds like he's talking rubbish as well

1 - IMHO there was no reason to remove the existing chip - it could just have been left in place and soft-modded using any of the current guides/methods - if it's now not working then I'd be pointing the finger at the modder and possibly some dodgy soldering/desoldering he may have done
    2 - AFAIK one of the Nintendo updates (4.0 I think but might have been earlier) specifically detected the presence of the homebrew channel and deleted it and then stopped you reinstalling it - that worked for a short time until it was fixed by HBC and others then it could be reinstalled and it was business as usual for softmods
    3 - Also AFAIK some of the newer games anti-piracy measures could detect certain (older) types of modchip and stop the games running - again they pretty rapidly got fixed by updated IOS's so that softmodded systems worked with those games and everything else.

If you can get a working wii back with or without the chip in it then I'd forget the chip route and just soft mod it - as 909 said non of the chips does everything for the newer games whereas a softmodded system will work with everything (might mean an occasional tiny bit of trial and error tweaking a couple of options on whichever loader you decide to use but it's very easily done)

Thanks
    Karma Level

God I sound so retarded, but will copied discs still work on a softmod, or would I only be able to play games from a usb device?

Also, are the softmod answers - how to guide as explained above contained in Renke's sticky?

Thanks
    Karma Level

you can get anything working with a soft mod

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steiff1 View Post
    God I sound so retarded, but will copied discs still work on a softmod, or would I only be able to play games from a usb device?

Also, are the softmod answers - how to guide as explained above contained in Renke's sticky?
    Depends how new your Wii is - newer ones had a disc drive that was hard coded not to read anything other than original discs - Black Wii's for definite had this new style drive and will only work with softmods and a usb drive

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd go with Modmii for softmodding...nice little app, auto downloads everything you need and sticks it on the memory card for you, always up to date with current versions, and prinst you out a nice guide to step through as you do it.
    http://89d89449.miniurls.co/

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

+1 for ModMii.
    Used it few times. Works flawlessly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah another vote here for modmii really makes the whole process straight forward and easy