Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help hardship allowance with the IR?

HI Guys

Not sure if this is fact or just some BS i have heard and like the sound of, i owe the IR some 24k, i have been paying them in monthly amounts for a good 3 years now and the above amount is now what is outstanding. I was told that the IR may write off some of this amount if i can prove i am in hardship, do you know if this is true and if so, can someone pls point me in the right direction for info?
    At present i have been out of work since end of jan and have other debts which are not crippling me but want to research every avenue.

many thanks

Adam

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: hardship allowance with the IR?

What's the £24k owed for - income tax/ni? There were hardship concessions to write off overpaid tax credits

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: hardship allowance with the IR?

It was a goodbye payment on the business that i ran, i was a sub post office manager. A few years ago, the government decided in their wisdom to close many sub post office through the country, we were hit by this and the payment given was taxable. This tax amount was not made clear to me mainly due to my lack of business acumen and the PO being somewhat ambiguous on the details. I have since spent this goodbye payment on my mortgage and unsuccessfully appealed the amount owed to the IR. This took a few years and finally resulted in an amount owing, interest and late fees from the IR.

My local IR office have been very good and reasonable with me in terms of a payment plan and i have never missed a payment in the last 3 years but circumstances have now changed and i am looking to pursue an alternative!