I understand this is a massive can of worms. But I think the time has come to stop being a dick.

I'm 26, and I have no pension. I've never paid into one in my life. I've been employed by my company for 7 years and I am aware they do offer a pension scheme. I wasn't intending to stay here this long and one thing lead to another etc.

Now I'm in a position (wife, 2 littlun's mortgage and a two motors etc) that taking a £200 pay cut a month would cripple me.

I will be the first to admit I know nothing of pensions, I know my old man went ape shit when they stopped his final salary pension 3 years from his retirement date.

Anyhow - Can anyone offer any simple advice about them? I know I need to start paying something, but I don't know what.

It is wrong of me, to know, however morbid it may be that I'll come into some money via inheritance? (With existing property and being the only child, We know the house alone is worth £400,000. And use this as some kind of investment through shares and savings that'd prove more beneficial than a pension from scratch?