Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info SONY to rip customers a new arse!!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/playstation...081700844.html

Finally, Kotaku claims that the new machine will also come with anti-used games measures, like the Xbox 720/Durango. Its source states that the Blu-ray or digital download version of the full game will be locked to the purchaser's PSN account. A game will always need to be authenticated online when first loaded, so a broadband connection will be a must.

they really do want you over a barrel. what about people who want to play a game but cant afford to pay the ridiculous prices for them? AND no backwards compatability with PS3... although on the brightside you can PURCHASE ps3 digital copies WTF!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: SONY to rip customers a new arse!!

Not surprised at all, a lot of developers are anti s/h so it will probably be welcomed more than the consumer would like.

As things change to a more download based market, the s/h market is bound to become far less important.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As I understand it margins on games for retailers are very low. If correct this could be the end to high street retailers. Game and game station have already gone into administration. Gives independents a chance to flourish now but once again as I understand it the really money was in pre-owned media and consoles.

I bet they don't reduce the prices either, and they wonder why piracy is so popular. As for the PS3 games will the download be free if you own the original?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure how it is Sony's fault (or others for that matter).
    Apple do it with all of their purchases from iTunes, Amazon do it with Kindle books etc..

It is just a sign of the times, things are changing. The whole 'pre-owned' model was introduced by the likes of Game in order to generate income, but Game and the likes killed of smaller independent companies of the 80's and 90's of which I used to work for a couple back in 'Boro (Game Store, Chips).

What does annoy me more so however is the DLC .... You can buy a game now and trade it in, fair enough. But any DLC you bought sticks with your account and yours only. Some games come with DLC codes in order to unlock functionality that should be there anyway! So when you do move the game on, the other guy has to buy the DLC all over again.

back in the good old days of the SNES and MegaDrive, I would advertise games to swap in the local paper. That was the way to do it and it meant the likes of Game didn't buy a £40 game off you for £15 and sell it on for £30.

So the demise of Game may be sad, but so was the demise of smaller retailers. It's the food chain and the people at the top are trying to take control over it.
    The thing to do is be sure you really really want that game! Too often people go out, pay £40 on launch day only to take it back a couple of days later for a trade in. My philosophy is to buy games I want when they come down to £15 - £20, which in this saturated market is after a month or two of release!

So, if it bothers folk that much, my advice is do not buy a Playstation 4 or Xbox 720. Maybe the OnLive model is the way to go, pay a monthly rental fee like with Netflix and Love Film and access all of them.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I like Sony AND Apple but the excessively stringent protective measures really get up my nose.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

The world has gone to financial shit. Everyone is trying to make money and protect that.

I expect in a few years time that we might even see Insurance Companies and Car Manufacturers teaming up to only provide legitimate insurance if the Car only has replaced parts that are new and made by the manufacturer, thus killing 3rd party part manufacturers.. It is just the way things are going.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    The world has gone to financial shit. Everyone is trying to make money and protect that.

I expect in a few years time that we might even see Insurance Companies and Car Manufacturers teaming up to only provide legitimate insurance if the Car only has replaced parts that are new and made by the manufacturer, thus killing 3rd party part manufacturers.. It is just the way things are going.
    Yep, Sony and Apple have always led he field on it though, I have shitloads of Sony kit but there can be a Royal pain in the freckle. . . . likewise Apple, unfortunately they make quality kit!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

What happens if your PS4 blows up after a year though, your old games, bought legitimately, won't work on a replacement.

Just seems overkill, agree that it just leads to even more piracy as people get fed up with the restrictions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greaseweasel View Post
    What happens if your PS4 blows up after a year though, your old games, bought legitimately, won't work on a replacement.

Just seems overkill, agree that it just leads to even more piracy as people get fed up with the restrictions.
    It will tie into you psn account so you'll be able to redownload them onto that machine

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    So, if it bothers folk that much, my advice is do not buy a Playstation 4 or Xbox 720. Maybe the OnLive model is the way to go, pay a monthly rental fee like with Netflix and Love Film and access all of them.
    But surely Netflix and LoveFilm will be affected too won't they? Or will they have special versions of the games - hope so, I love my LoveFilm account, which I only have for gaming. Sadly you may be right that the OnLive model is the only way to go, which will be the end of gamerscore and achievements, which for me will be sad as it drove me to complete more games than I ever have done in the past.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They said similar shit before the ps3 was even annouced. I doubt it will happen. Not everyone in the world has broadband, so they wont even be able to activate said game. Load of bollocks.

2 Thanks given to Sanj[UK]

Bald Bouncer (3rd April 2012),  lithho (31st March 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Haven't bought a single Sony product since the rootkit scandal and I never will.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    But surely Netflix and LoveFilm will be affected too won't they? Or will they have special versions of the games - hope so, I love my LoveFilm account, which I only have for gaming. Sadly you may be right that the OnLive model is the only way to go, which will be the end of gamerscore and achievements, which for me will be sad as it drove me to complete more games than I ever have done in the past.
    Apologies, I meant regarding streaming the TV shows/movies rather than getting discs in the post.
    As for Gamerscores etc... I see no reason why they could not introduce this into an OnLive model?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Apple and Amazon arguements don't work for me, just because they have reasonable pricing compared to full downloadable titles on PSN/XBL.

If they priced themselves like Steam and the excellent 75% offers they do the I wouldn't have a problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fanni View Post
    It will tie into you psn account so you'll be able to redownload them onto that machine
    Hmmm, I presume bluray discs would be registered the same then. At least that's ok.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassy34 View Post
    Haven't bought a single Sony product since the rootkit scandal and I never will.
    M$ have already shown interest in doing the same, and no doubt Nintendo will do the same as the pressure to do so will come from the software houses more than anywhere.

I couldn't really give a toss myself, 30 - 40 quid for a game is a good price and if I've played it, I am happy to have it sat on my shelf for the sake of the fucking pittance Game would give me for it.

Thanks to {{909}}

lithho (31st March 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here a thought, service going forward, it's all well and good checking verification when a game boots if the verifying service is available, give it 5 years and the service is down you won't be able to play the games you've paid for.

This would also apply when the service is down of course.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I won't be buying if this is true.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think if true there are going to be lots of people refusing to buy a next gen console. It is certainly sounding more and more like this generation of consoles will be my last. I dont like the idea if you dont like a game or get bored of a game you are basically going to be stuck with it with no chance to at least trade in or sell private due to potential issues with game being tied to console. I suspect though that console manufacturers dont care regarding that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

End of piracy if you ask me.

If this is true people need to boycott the new play station and Xbox.

I for one will not be getting either, simply losing interest in consoles and having my arse raped by greedy, greedy companies like EA etc. I may even get a life :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast