Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question When was the last time you were 'ill'

Just got thinking about this after a conversation with someone and it dawned on me the last I could really say I was proper ill as in needing a day off work or unable to function as normal was around 30 years ago with a bad bout of flu - I worked as a Coal-man at the time and it was a bad winter and I worked outside a lot, along with it being a really physical job it was tough.

Can't recall the last time I ever took a course of any drugs/antibiotics either, probably when I was a kid. I've always eaten a healthy diet along with a little moderation of booze and junk food etc though.

I guess I'm thankful for all this really as my son who's now 10 has had a lot of problems with being in Hospital etc. but that stems from a cock up from some 'standard' Surgery which didn't go to plan. Other than that, he's not had any drugs since the usual baby jobs either.

I guess it's a combination of a general healthy diet and luck really (touch wood lol).
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: When was the last time you were 'ill'

Same here, not been 'proper' ill for donkey's. Loads of colds and coughs etc, but they don't usually keep you away from work.

Pisses me off when people are constantly off sick with 'the flu'. Fookin' lazy arses.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Couldn't tell you the last time I was off work ill, not in the last 10 years anyway and that was for an operation. I've got a perforated eardrum so I take antibiotics when I get an ear infection which is about 3-4 times a year. Otherwise not had anything serious for years. That said, having turned 40 a couple of years ago I've picked up niggles that are harder to shake, tennis elbow, frozen shoulder and now my achilles is playing up

When I first started working after I left uni I ripped the arse out of my sick leave and had 13 days off in my first year. All Fridays or Mondays so easy to spot the pattern!! Still you live and learn.
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Karma Level

After years of good health and never really being ill, I hit 30 and I am currently fucked!

I had to have an operation to remove a kidney stone as it was too big to do anything else with, and I still have 2 left - one might need operating and the other should be blastable with the sonic thing they do.

I was getting pain in my balls and my back too, but put that down to the stones.

Anyway, after an ukltrasound on my balls I have a cyst in there.

I then went for an MRI on my back and found out I have complete loss or lordos of my spine, meaning it's completely straght when it should have a curve.

I also have an annular tear at L5/S1 and degenerating disks at a few positions, along with a couple of bulging discs, but thankfully no root nerve compression.

The annular tear is what has had me in bits, I can't sit or stand for more than 10mins without it giving me hours of pain afterwards, can't twist, bend or stretch or it does the same - I feel like a 60yr old just laid up in a lounger as thats the only place I can get comfy without being laid flat.

To top it all off I recently had a brown/black piss, and I apprarently have a water infection, probably from the remaining stones.

Medications I am on atm are antibiotics (water infection) and solpadol / tramadol / zomorph for the back depending how bad the pain is.

Some days it feels alright, and then I try and do something and bam - back to square one.

Funnily enough the hardest thing to do is wipe my ass, you have to twist and it is fucking agony.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I got shingles earlier this year which took over a month to clear up but was only off work for a few days. Was a right bastard as I was very busy with work at the time. Other than that I don't think I have ever been so ill I couldn't work. I could have worked on the few days I had off this year but as I work at clients offices and houses I didn't want to leave a bad impression, apparently it's not contagious.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went to the docs last week and found that I had high blood pressure (I'm 38). On a self imposed change of diet now and exercise program., seems to have started to have an impact. Would rather not be on pills but I find out in a month.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    Same here, not been 'proper' ill for donkey's. Loads of colds and coughs etc, but they don't usually keep you away from work.

Pisses me off when people are constantly off sick with 'the flu'. Fookin' lazy arses.
    I'm the same, get peed off with people making excuses over the slightest thing. I recall when I returned to my Coal job after being off for a few days the yard manager made me shovel, bag, weigh and load my 120 bags of 100 weight coal that day which I delivered on my own, bastard lol.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Was fine till I hit 40. Paint sprayer for 24 years then last year began feeling ill , coughing , short of breath . 2 months of work then hospital tell me I have occupational asthma . Now I'm unemployed and suing my company .
    Very bad year..

Thanks
    Karma Level

First time in 7 years I went to the docs been feeling crap since last August thought maybe it was stress but can't afford to be ill being self employed, first doc said nothing wrong with me fired me off, was then really ill last october couldn't get out of bed 48hrs of sleep ended up in back of an ambulance suspected meningitis but after test diagnosis:- blood poisoning, november december still crap sleeping for fun would just go tired all of a sudden any time of day, hospital again in december suspected meningitis again? but said I was dehydrated drink bottled water every opportunity? minimum 2l a day, went back to docs fobbed off again, saw another doctor sent me for blood tests, rang me two days later saying I must see him asap needs to talk, I shat my pants. Vitamin D deficiency said it was seriously low, on supplements now indefinitely but still feel shit? no idea what I can do about it though? might go back to docs probably get fobbed off again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think as we all get older, bits of us tend to go wonky after awhile ! (they have for me anyway)

I have always taken days off when I felt the need.

Ill, hangover, look after the kids, blag etc but when at work they got a 130% out of me all the time.

Occasionally I had to take some of the 30% back again to recuperate.

Whilst I admire this live to work ethic and 0 sick days you'll just get dumped on in the end by your employer.

Now I'm self employed I can't remember being off sick.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not ill often and same as Andy self employed at the time you just work through it but this was totally different. October 2010 felt crap but not the normal crap, put it off a few days day nurse night nurse and nothing improved so went to the walk in centre in Bolton as I couldn't get an appointment at the docs. they checked me out peed in a cup and it looked like tea without milk which apparently means there is blood in it, the walk in centre called the docs and got me an appointment there and then so went down got shouted at for putting the sample on her desk. Blood tests taken result was meningitis opps and on top of that I had oral thrush aswell.

After that I am terrified of my pee turning to tea and am always checking the toilet after going and if its a different colour I'm thinking about it but its usually because I have been out at work and not had enough to drink I now drink at least 4 pints of water/vimto/orange whatever while at work and a few after. Its strange your never told things like keep an eye on your pee ok maybe you are but as someone who is rarely ill I didn't have a clue what the reason behind tea coloured pee was. If anything changes colour I look it up now.

Prior to that was 3 days after my 30th Birthday woke up with a sore elbow for a few days on the run so went down and they took blood first time I had had that done and I'm not a fan of people sticking things in me result arthritis FFS I have only just turned 30??? but it is common in the family so apparently Im pretty much screwed on that count. not had any problems with it till the other day when the elbow was painfull when I woke up couple of paratetamol and away I went.
    Last edited by Little John; 19th April 2012 at 01:20 AM.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

had an inner ear infection a few months back, that was weird, couldnt walk in a straight line or anything...

ethanhawk - why are you suing your work? just curious, didnt they provide adequate PPE? i would have thought if they did then you wouldnt be able to sue them? my work sometimes dont always provide the necessary PPE, they should, but dont..

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Never really ill myself......but I had Swine Flu a couple of years back which really knocked me for 6. I assume it was swine flu as it was around the time it was popular, and it was much worse than regular flu...one night I was fevering and I thought I saw a ghost !
    Prior to that I had worked out I had had just 11 days sick in 20 years work, and most of those were due to car crash injuries.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I took 3 days off a couple of weeks ago which were the first I'd had off in years, but my job is pretty easy and close to my home (10mins commute) so there's no real reason to be off unless I really am shocking bad. In my previous job I only needed to do a bad fart and I'd be off sick, the job and place depressed me so much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm ding of Man Flu right now! Actually it's just a sniffle.

I was throwing up all night about 6 weeks back and took the next day off to sleep where I had missed out, but generally I'm fairl good. Can't remember what my doctor looks like. I know what the little un's doc looks like as the are there more often than enough with one thing or another but I am most certainly not a drain on the NHS. Mind you, tpical bloke, if there is something wrong, I just ignore it and tell the Mr's it'll be fine and will clear on its own. readin LJ's post I might have to rethink that theory :|
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apart from the clap, Gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes and HPV... I'm fit as a fiddle.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Apart from the clap, Gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes and HPV... I'm fit as a fiddle.
    So you're on the mend mate? excellent LOL

I'm currently off work with bronchitis and feeling sorry for myself but, reading
    about some of my buddies on here, I feel much less sorry for myself now..
    Just wishing all off you with ill health better soon

supe

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    I'm not ill often and same as Andy self employed at the time you just work through it but this was totally different. October 2010 felt crap but not the normal crap, put it off a few days day nurse night nurse and nothing improved so went to the walk in centre in Bolton as I couldn't get an appointment at the docs. they checked me out peed in a cup and it looked like tea without milk which apparently means there is blood in it, the walk in centre called the docs and got me an appointment there and then so went down got shouted at for putting the sample on her desk. Blood tests taken result was meningitis opps and on top of that I had oral thrush aswell.

After that I am terrified of my pee turning to tea and am always checking the toilet after going and if its a different colour I'm thinking about it but its usually because I have been out at work and not had enough to drink I now drink at least 4 pints of water/vimto/orange whatever while at work and a few after. Its strange your never told things like keep an eye on your pee ok maybe you are but as someone who is rarely ill I didn't have a clue what the reason behind tea coloured pee was. If anything changes colour I look it up now.

Prior to that was 3 days after my 30th Birthday woke up with a sore elbow for a few days on the run so went down and they took blood first time I had had that done and I'm not a fan of people sticking things in me result arthritis FFS I have only just turned 30??? but it is common in the family so apparently Im pretty much screwed on that count. not had any problems with it till the other day when the elbow was painfull when I woke up couple of paratetamol and away I went.
    Sorry to hear about your run of bad stuff mate.. hope you stay well now.. on the point about your pee, medieval doctors used to base almost their entire diagnosis on your pee ... even, I understand, to the point of sampling it.. mind you i've had a few doctors in my threescore and more years that i'd wished that on LOL

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had one episode of the shits which lasted 4 days, in the 9 years of this job. Before that I don't think I had any time off in 5 years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

2 Thanks given to BertRoot

DJ OD (19th April 2012),  GTI (19th April 2012)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast