Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Travel Time work related

evening all, ive been trawling for a few hours and found nothing that answers my question so im needing a bit of help.

What is considered to be reasonable traveling time before your working day starts and when should you be eligable for overnight accomodation, is traveling 8hrs a day (4hrs each way) unacceptable.

Ive looked on the WTD and not really found anything so if anyone knows or can point me in the direction of the info id appriciate it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Every day? I've done it a couple of days a week every now and then when going from Bristol to Blackburn and back. Left home at 5:45 and left work at 3pm to avoid traffic, home at 7.

Thanks to liveseytowers

tshirt (11th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Travel Time work related

if the distance traveling is over 35 miles then my company stumps for a hotel evening meal and breakfast. I'm working in Dallas next week.. so they give me two days back because of the travel.

Thanks to Ginnerfreak

tshirt (18th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think this would all depend on if it's your permanent place of work, if they've relocated and if you knew this was going to be where you would be based when you signed up? If they've moved the goalposts (so to say) then yes I'd have a chat with them about it but if that's where it's always been and you've signed up knowing it then...

2 Thanks given to blacksheep

Over Carl (18th May 2012),  tshirt (18th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

How many hours a week is in your contract? If 40, then over 5 days that would equate to 8 per day and therefore 8 hours travelling would result in no time at the location.

actually, reading back, this is dependant on what this travel is for. If it's a permananet place of work, then it's up to the individual if they feel it's fair. If not, find a new job. If the office is moving, there has to be some give and take. If this is for a temporary working location (site based work) then look to my original statement as you should travel in company time if they have requested you to travel for business.

which perspective are you coming from with this?
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

Thanks
    Karma Level

its a temporary working location 2 days a week for 9 weeks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did they inform you when signing up you may have to work at different locations?

In my last job, I was based at a head office, but often I would be called out for issues at sites - sometimes it would be planned that I would start my day at a site.

If I had to be on a site I still had the same start time, but I didn't complain as I was made aware of this, and also in my instance it was a case of swings and roundabouts as some sites would add an extra 30 mins to my journey while some would take 30 mins off.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Any travel time is expectable if you are prepared to do it, just bare in mind if you normal place of work is an office and you have been asked to work else where on a temporary bases your extra time spent traveling to and from this location is working hours when working out break times http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/employme...ff/dg_10029451 if by the time you get home it does not allow you to take an 11 hr break before you are due to start work then requesting a hotel or a later start is not unreasonably..

As many other have said its what is down in your contract I'm am a home based worker and have an hours unpaid overtime period in the morning and evening where no over time is paid if we are traveling to and from where our job of the day is, but I would claim over time if I travel to a hotel midweek maybe for a training course or if I'm required for an early start and it over 2 hrs drive
    VIP WOOP !