Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention WD LIVE TV - stuttering...

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, couldn't find a relevant other section.

I just bought myself a Western Digital Live TV media streamer today. After the numerous stuttering issues or 'file cannot be supported' issues with the tvmobili software trying to stream to the lounge tv from upstairs pc, this sounded like the perfect gadget. Also it comes with the netflix app which i dont have on my blu ray player. or my tv.

Tried out Netflix, watched a couple of inbetweeners eps with no problem. Watched 5 mins of Heroes in HD also from Netflix and again no issues.

I get around to trying out streaming HD from my pc and the same stuttering issue as normal. Tried .mpg, .mkv and .iso. This thing plays any file which is great but each one plays fine for around a minute then starts to stutter and freezes up. i tried around 5 different files which I know play with no issues on the pc and in fact direct from usb have been ok in the past.

So what is the issue? Is it my internet connection? An online speed test is telling me it is currently at a download speed of 4.75M which isnt great but should be enough to stream this I would have thought?

Has anyone got any tips on how to overcome this?

Someone on another forum mentioned using an NFS server on the pc and mounting the file to that to solve the issue, is this right?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: WD LIVE TV - stuttering...

Forgot to say, obviously I am streaming these wirelessly which i guess inevitably means it will struggle with 1080 or even 720.

Am i right in thinking if i just run ethernet cable from WD box to pc upstairs this will sort it?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant honestly say anything regarding this product - for i dont have one - but ironically i nearly brought one over the weekend

Wifi should allow you to stream 720 from what i have heard, but wifi can suck balls. You may have a good signal but interferance can cause multiple packet losses and show the symptoms you have stated. It could also be the host machine not giving fast enough access to the files on your disk. Before going down the route of cabling it all up, i would put the wdtv on your lan close to the host PC and see if the stuttering dissapears, then at least you know for sure if its Wifi or the wdtv/Host pc

Thanks to grrrd

SoundOfFaz (28th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok will try it mat, cheers.

I guess of it plays stutter free with the box close to the pc it is a pc issue and if it still stutters then the ethernet cable will probably solve the issue.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the WD TV LIVE and I often stream 8 - 14Gb 1080p MKV's from my PC via ethernet through the WD TV Live.

Wireless will probably bottleneck it. 100mbps compared to gigabit is always going to lose out.

I use my VM Superhub to connect the media player too. Ensure you set your UPNP to 1440 (Advertisement Period) and Time to live to 4 in the superhub settings (provided you're on VM and have a superhub)
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 29th May 2012 at 05:56 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Easiest option would be POwerline Ethernet Bridge devices - no need for a massive Cat5e then.

Thanks
    Karma Level

An update on this. In the end I did run a cable from the device to the pc. Most things stream fine but there have beenalu rays that still stutter, why would this be? I'm at a loss and feel like taking it back for a refund.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had a thought, can anyone confirm this?

I ran an ethernet from the WD box to my pc but looking now, I should have ran a cable from my WD box to my router, is this correct?

If this is the right way to do it, I still can't get my head round how this would make any difference. As my pc is upstairs, then surely to stream the files to the TV downstairs it has to do this wirelessly?

My heads messed up today, I cant think straight!