Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huawei G300

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Huawei G300

Just got myself one of these after seeing people mention them in the bst.

Got mine from the vodafone shop for !£100 + £10 credit. Guy at the shop said I would need to pay £20 to get it unlocked but I popped my 3 sim in there and it worked straight away. Seems like a fairly nice little phone. I've noticed the ringer is pretty much useless but apparently there is a firmware update to fix it. Not sure if I'll bother as I think I'll try and seek an ics rom instead. Ignore what's been mentioned on the web about this having nfc as that's only in the U8818 model and vodafone apparently only have the U8815 model.

Just about to flash to g888-unbranded but apparently need to do the vodafone g886 upgrade first to get the speaker sorted. Note: Once you install cwmrecovery, the phone doesnt seem to want to install updates from vodafone anymore. Probably best to upgrade to g886 then install cwm and newer roms.

Edit: The update really sorts it out, I would advise to upgrade through phone menu before upgrading to g888 as I had to manually downgrade to g884 to sort the ringer issue.

Edit: Was really looking forward to using the inbuilt SIP client to connect to my SIP server at home but the client appears to have been removed by huawei

Edit: The email client doesn't seem to work properly with exchange, sure there's a fix, may be as simple as downgrading to previous f/w, will report back when I figure it out.

Edit: Email problem fixed by turning power saving mode off.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 30th May 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Huawei G300

hi
    my phone is off for repair at the mo and am looking for a stopgap

how would this compare to say an htc desire?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry I'm not really in a good position to say - I've not really bothered much with smartphones, only ones I ever had were a couple of very old htc's and a couple of blackberries so haven't got much to compare it to.

Haven't really scratched the surface so far but can't go wrong for a ton brand new.

Last time I needed a phone late last year I went to my local high street to find the cheapest second hand phone on 3 - ended up with a huawei u7510 for £60 2nd hand which was an absolute pile of shite. Apparently huawei have announced there will be an upgrade for the g300 to ice cream sandwich this summer but haven't found a hacked rom for ics yet.

There's one ending on ebay in 5 mins that already has £74 worth of bids so you shouldn't loose a fortune if you bought then sold it on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just ordered one of these a stop gap

but just seen the nokia lumia is down to 99.99 now

hmm what to do

Thanks
    Karma Level

mine arrived today if anybody wants to know anything about it

Thanks
    Karma Level

emu - you sound a little more up to date then me with phones so I would love to hear your general opinion. Also maybe handy for others to know whether yours also came unlocked.

I would advise to make sure you have your stuff backed up - a mate with a cheapo samsung wasnt getting calls so we put his sim in mine and it worked fine. As soon as I took his sim out, if I tried mine or his, my phone was stuck in a reboot loop.

Only way to get out was to use the cwmrecovery menu to delete all user data - i.e. factory reset but keeping the flashed f/w. This did the trick but I lost my contacts and even though I'm sure I told the phone to sync them with the gmail account it made me create, I didn't get the new contacts back.

Also the phone just doesn't seem like it's working quite right any more - I have a feeling it because I've been trying pretty much any free sip phone I can on there, once I've settled on one, then I'm gonna restore to factory again and won't install crap.

Other major nuisance, if I hold the phone at around 45°, it likes to flick to landscape which can be annoying. Still well happy for the money though.

Also mentioned in another thread, initally I couldn't connect to an exchange account - this is because the day before, power saving mode started due to low battery and I needed to stop power saving mode.

Got my hotmail on there - POP3 mode is shit, errors after just a few emails then have to wait ages until it will do another batch. IMAP/Exchange is much better but still a pile of shite compared to a blackberry with regards to email - sometimes messages don't come for a while then come all together even when on the wifi.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 6th June 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That power saving icon had me pulling my hair out for days till i realised what it was.

I never saw it on the Blade and the various roms I ran.

Two weeks on this is still a big upgrade on the blade. Bigger battery , larger screen and faster processor.

Only down side is the blade camera was able to cope better in low light (read corner of the pub with a book or newspaper) when taking pics of text.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just bought one of these today - my first smartphone so I am on a bit of a learning curve. I have one question. After switching on and dragging the icon to unlock, the phone goes directly to the camera, instead of the home screen. Is this correct and and how can I change it so it defaults to the home screen. ? TIA.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like the camera app is open. Just close it down from settings / applications / force shutdown and try again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got stuck in a reboot loop again. This time phone was on 1-2% battery, missed an incoming call then kept rebooting. Would be interested to hear if these problems exist on the stock rom. Managed to cure it this time by pulling the battery, starting up on the charger, then putting the battery in.

I've noticed all my widgets have vanished though, I think I may not re-enable them for now.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 7th June 2012 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

having owned about 10 different smart phones this thing is superb for 100 pounds (mine came locked)

first thing i did was bin the vodafone rom and put on the generic rom

@rob1949 just check you are swiping right when you are unlocking (mine did the straight to camera thing for some reason as well) cant remember if it was before the rom change or not

the only tiny thing that peeves me off is the touch buttons at the bottom dont seem to be as responsive as they should

the screen and audio quality are very good for the money and wont be beaten at this price point

my case arrived today and ill be keeping this till the iphone 5 arrives

after owning a lot of high end android phones this does exactly what most of them did fine

Thanks
    Karma Level

EDIT: DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THE LINK - THE ONES THAT ARRIVED DID NOT FIT CORRECTLY

I've run out of battery a couple of times already so just ordered two batteries plus charger from ebay for £7. DO NOT PURCHASE THESE! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q705-2X-Ba...item35bcc71ff7

I'm guessing the batteries will be fakes but at that price I'm not bothered. Also they claim to be rated 1400mAh while the one in my phone is rated 1500mAh and has different part number to the ones displayed.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 23rd June 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

JonEp (8th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1949 View Post
    Just bought one of these today - my first smartphone so I am on a bit of a learning curve. I have one question. After switching on and dragging the icon to unlock, the phone goes directly to the camera, instead of the home screen. Is this correct and and how can I change it so it defaults to the home screen. ? TIA.
    The G300 screen saver works very well once you know how to use it. Drag the central 'cirlcle' downwards to unlock and to get the camera, 'left' for SMS, 'right' to take you back to where you were when the phone locked itself, and 'up' to make a phone call. It took me a week of using my G300 before I worked this out ;-)

Hope this is helpful,

Ralph

Thanks
    Karma Level

[QUOTE=emu;3534126]having owned about 10 different smart phones this thing is superb for 100 pounds (mine came locked)

first thing i did was bin the vodafone rom and put on the generic rom
    the only tiny thing that peeves me off is the touch buttons at the bottom dont seem to be as responsive as they should[QUOTE=emu;3534126]

What firmware version did you load ? I flashed my phone to firmware version U888 and this fixed the problem with the non-responsive menu buttons on the bottom of the screen. Also fixed the issue with the low volume of the speaker and removed all the Vodaphone 'bloatware'. However U888 is not an officially supported version and is it is not possible to easily go back to the original version.

Ralph

Thanks
    Karma Level

[QUOTE=fladda;3534195]
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    However U888 is not an officially supported version and is it is not possible to easily go back to the original version.
    I believe to downgrade you need the version of U884 that loads from through the menus rather than cwm.

Thanks
    Karma Level

@emu@JonEp. Yes, I was swiping in direction of camera ,instead of to the right !. Obvious now !. Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

this is a great starting guide
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-h...and-i-cant-do/

i did read tonight the b888 rom sorts a few issues out with the buttons so will try that

the xperia launcher works really nice on this phone with the weather widget

if anybody would like me to upload the packages to install i can

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently there's a version of ics out http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1697577 althought the rapidshare link doesn't work and the other one keeps failing to download for me. Edit: Forget that, seems to be B916 which apparently is ICS for the G300 but lots of stuff doesn't work like no signal.

However, there seems to be a chinese B892 that can be used in english. http://www.modaco.com/topic/354872-c...ect-link-b892/
    Last edited by Over Carl; 10th June 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Also mentioned in another thread, initally I couldn't connect to an exchange account - this is because the day before, power saving mode started due to low battery and I needed to stop power saving mode.

Got my hotmail on there - POP3 mode is shit, errors after just a few emails then have to wait ages until it will do another batch. IMAP/Exchange is much better but still a pile of shite compared to a blackberry with regards to email - sometimes messages don't come for a while then come all together even when on the wifi.
    Try touchdown if you are a heavy exchange user, it wipes the floor with stock. I think there is a free trial.

Thanks to purpleanimal23

Over Carl (10th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the tip but I don't like paying for s/w.

I've put up all the firmwares I've downloaded, sorry they aren't the fastest downloads. I'll probably take the links down in a few months once the official ics comes out.

Official UK Vodafone B882
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...e_05010XJM.zip

B884 -Can't remember but I think this was a generic/unbranded Huawei rom.
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...001C00B884.rar

B886 - Huawei unbranded rom - probably a pre release/demo not intended for public distribution
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...01C185B886.rar

B888 - Huawei unbranded rom, for optimisations see http://www.modaco.com/topic/354051-g...ted-optimised/
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...-B888-DUO-G300[1].zip

B892 Huawei unbranded chinese rom and patches (Apparently most bits work in english)
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...ce+pack1.2.zip
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...828-signed.zip
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...uo0427-fix.zip

B916 - Huawei unbranded rom - ICS! Warning, this is a work in progress. I've read this rom will not let you use mobile network or wifi.
    http://90.213.206.177:8081/Huawei/G3...xKQ-signed.zip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast