Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Question around boiler settings and megaflow

Hi Guys,

shortly moving into my new home, and have recently put in a new boiler system, and megaflow. Right now, living in a house with a combi, so hot water 24/7. Now im going to a megaflow tank, i am not sure what would be the cheapest way to run it - do i leave the hot water on 24/7, or only at certain times? if i leave it on at certain times, woldnt it cost more to fill the megaflow up everytime i want to use hot water?

thanks for any input anyone can offer!

Q
    If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Question around boiler settings and megaflow

I thought everyone was moving away from stored hot water systems unless they were heated by solar?

We used to use a vented system and had an unvented system at my Grans (now both combi/condensing) the water stayed hot for quite a long time but heating water that may or may not be used is not cost effective. We used to heat the water for periods that it would normally be used so on before we woke for morning showers and washing, off while at work and then back on for doing the pots after tea which would normally be enough for showers/baths etc for the rest of the evening. in winter then we would have more of a manual system turning it on and off as and when required for heating of the house.

I a not sure if thats what you are looking for I would like to thing things have improved since our system was installed but my grans was done 6 years ago and it was replaced last year and her heating bills have dropped a lot since then.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks LT - we installed megaflow because it effectively means great pressure anywhere in the house and can have multiple taps/showers on without reducing pressure.
    Thats what im thinking about timings but wasnt sure how long the water stays warm for in the megaflow - if i do it in the morning for 2-3 hours, is it good enough to last all day - it is a big tank!
    If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work for the company who supply Heatrae megaflo. Should be ok for a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening really does depend on how much use it will be getting. If you have six people in the house say you would need it on a lot more than if you are a couple. Also a lot of people seem to set the thermostats to a high temperature but just do at 60deg as its more than enough. However I am not a plumber or an expert by any means.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My parents have a megaflow. The heating is on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. It supplies their baths and hot water for washing up etc. I imagine if you have showers it will require less. Or if you have more baths, more.

Start at a couple of hours and work your way up. Just expect the odd cold shower.... lol