Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Mountain bike advice.

Hi all,

Question for you mountain bike enthusiasts, after getting my bike replaced by the insurers after having it nicked, I got a Specialized hard rock 19" frame which is right for my height of 5'11". Standard 'v' brakes standard front shocks.

However my friend has offered me his 4 year old Specialized Stumpjumper which is a very nice bike, disc brakes, fox front shocks and nice and light. Howwever this is only a 15.5" frame.

Now, being the type of guy who always likes the better model, would I struggle in any way with the smaller framed bike? Obviously I can raise the seat post to a correct height for me but I'm not sure what other things I should consider.

So a new 19" hardrock or a 15.5" Stumpjumper?

Any input appreciated
    Ta,
    mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mountain bike advice.

You might have to change the handlebar stem and angle as you might be too hunched over if you have the seat higher. Also depending on how much you need to raise the seat post it might have to be changed also to leave enough in the frame.

Thanks to lagigolo

muttleymacclad (1st June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks mate.
    I've checked the seat post and it would be within the 'safe range' marker. Will have to investigate about the handlebar stem.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Go and have a sit on the Stumpy and see how it feels. Check the length of the stem from steerer to bars as you could get up to 110 of stem length if needs be. Have a razz and see how it feels. If you wanna upgrade for the money then have a look for a sale bike or go for something foreign like a Cube or Canyon. Much better value for money.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers bert. By length of stem from steerer to bars, do you mean I could get a longer steering stem of upto 110mm, as it feels as though I'm reaching for the hand grips slightly when compared to the 19" hardrock? So a longer steering stem would be good.

It looks like it has about 2 or 3 spacers on the steering stem of about 5mm each.

It does feel nice to sit on though and it is nice and light.
    Mml

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah longer stem to push the bars further away. Also you can get seatposts with a setback on to give you a longer reach. Thomson do them but they are quite dear.

Thanks to BertRoot