Need a bit of advice from anyone who has done this or works in the trade. I have recently had a loft conversion completed which includes a wet room. The floor has been laid and the pre-formed shower tray is installed and flush with the floor. The next stage is tanking the floor and walls. I have the primer and waterproof matting required and the tanking tape for the joints. This all came as a kit and I am happy to install it but I think I will be a bit short on the tape.

The question is do I need to use specific tanking tape on all joints or can I use any waterproofing tape. i.e is there anything special about the tanking tape or is just a name it's given for the application???

I have done a bit of investigating and some refer to gaffer tape/duct tape/waterproof tape/polyester tape as all being suitable or similar in design!!!!!

Now considering the floor will be primed, then flexible cement based adhesive laid with waterproof de-coupling matting then sealed with tanking tape/other alternative then tiled using a waterproof adhesive will I be OK as long as the tape is waterproof in some way??? Once the tiles are down it shouldn't be moving anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated....