Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows 8, My thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    Swiping what ? with your mouse ???
    Just realized the error of my post !!! Will get my hat & coat !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Don't worry 4me2, I have already assumed the legs akimbo position so you can kick me straight in the cunt once you have read the below...
    Normally I'd be happy to oblige, but on this this occasion I need to wait for CJ to get back from his Easter holiday as I've lent him my waders.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

2 Thanks given to 4me2

CzarJunkie (3rd April 2013),  MsDG (1st April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Normally I'd be happy to oblige, but on this this occasion I need to wait for CJ to get back from his Easter holiday as I've lent him my waders.
    You spineless cunt !!! Try out your own size 10's ....... ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

A friend of mine got a £1000 Sony desktop PC for Christmas with Win8 and touchscreen.

Sorry to say, it was actually pretty crap.

I would add to MsDG's post and say the OS isn't suitable on all touchscreen devices. In fact, probably only handheld.

If you use your PC for multimedia, you are not going to be sitting right in front of it to swipe and gesture the fucking thing.

The touch on this PC, being an "all-in-one" thing meant it was stading vertically, and you have to lean over and poke at it. The alignment wasn't bang on either. Some places you touch and the screen would react somewhere else.

Like I said earlier, I am actually quite a fan of the metro interface on my phone. It works really well. It will on a tablet as well probably. But with the devices being all over the place, with RT being empty of apps and the hardware for the full OS being heavy, power-draining and expensive. I can't help but think the MS has shot themselves in the foot.

I thought for a while they might be able to pull it off, but I am thinking now that is less likely now.

www.startisback.com - Excellent.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

MsDG (2nd April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    I would add to MsDG's post and say the OS isn't suitable on all touchscreen devices. In fact, probably only handheld.

If you use your PC for multimedia, you are not going to be sitting right in front of it to swipe and gesture the fucking thing.
    Agreed. But trying my best to put a positive spin on Microsofts "way forward". The touch desktop/laptops do seem to work if you are standing up in front of them or have the laptop on your actual lap. However, agreed when the touch desktop and laptops are in the traditional "sat down at a desk" configuration they bring in whole arm RSI issues into play (as mentioned in my previous post).

Its definitely a case of Windows 8 must be used in the correct scenario. If you are a business user that uses a desktop PC standing up (retail etc) then Windows 8 may work for you (but you would need the PC screen closer to the edge of the desk and not at the back). I would also imagine that the majority of home users would be now either have a tablet or a laptop (used on a actual lap) in which I think would also work. However, if you are a proper "sit down at desk user" then touch screen is probably not going to be practical for you to use really. Going forward, if touch screen does become the normal for everybody on the planet, then I could imagine you could assist the situation by making the traditional work desk and work chair higher and more of a half way house between standing and sitting... I believe this type of than has been popular in scandinavia for years Cronus????

As far as the previous post on using a track pad / mouse goes. Yes you can do this but in practice I see it as a naff impracticable solution. When you use W8 in the right situation, with a good touch screen it is really, really fast to navigate. Reducing this to a track pad takes away the experience, brings in gestures that are not as intuitive and also brings in problems (i.e. the fine line between trying to quickly scroll down a page and accidentally bringing down a short cut menu). Really what you are doing is compressing a whole 13" touch screen down to a 2" poor substitute.

To my mind it really its all about the touch screen. Yes, there will be some who hate W8 and touch screens and will never want to change. Yes, there are some who will get by with a touchpad / mouse on W8 and they will like it. However, after seeing the zillions of people who have gone crazy of the touch screen interface of the ipad/android, I suspect that the majority of people will like W8 or the next gen "blue" on a touch screen once they give it a go on the right hardware. However, where I think Microsoft shat the bed is they really should have made the option of letting the touch users use the metro and the none touch users of having the option to use metro or not. Instead they have tried to push everybody down the same tunnel and hence alienated many people against W8.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    is it me or does the apps page look like linux mint (cinnamon) the obvious difference would be the mint apps and the OS is free !
    LS
    There are hints of Linux all over the Windows 8 gui.
    You got touches of Cinnamon, Unity and Ubuntu's notifications system.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh forgot to add Windows 8 is a joke in the Corporate environment.
    Got 50 new Lenovo PC's the other day, they are sold as Windows 8 but ship with Window 8 COA on side of PC and Windows 7 installed.
    Don't think Lenovo are shipping anything with Windows 8 actually installed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Oh forgot to add Windows 8 is a joke in the Corporate environment.
    Got 50 new Lenovo PC's the other day, they are sold as Windows 8 but ship with Window 8 COA on side of PC and Windows 7 installed.
    Don't think Lenovo are shipping anything with Windows 8 actually installed.

Agreed... you would a brave man to try and introduce W8 into the corporate situation, especially with the older clueless people. It would just blow their mind!

The problem is that MS do not seem to be letting go and "blue" is more of the same. Yeah, we can get by with W7 for a few years but it gives me a nightmare to think that somewhere down the line we are going to have to try and make this thing bloody work somehow???????

Thanks to MsDG

tombott (2nd April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

MS have to give people the option. Simple as that.

From "blue" (Win9) they should really considder releasing for corporate, for home use touch and home use non touch (Media centre).

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

i like the games

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Agreed... you would a brave man to try and introduce W8 into the corporate situation, especially with the older clueless people. It would just blow their mind!

The problem is that MS do not seem to be letting go and "blue" is more of the same. Yeah, we can get by with W7 for a few years but it gives me a nightmare to think that somewhere down the line we are going to have to try and make this thing bloody work somehow???????
    I imagine we will see a shift back to Thin Clients and App Virtualisation. It's certainly something I am already looking into.
    We have a whole host of 3rd party applications that don't run on Windows 7 yet, let alone Windows 8. I'm doing testing at the moment with Zen Works Application Visualization

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    I imagine we will see a shift back to Thin Clients and App Virtualisation. It's certainly something I am already looking into.
    We have a whole host of 3rd party applications that don't run on Windows 7 yet, let alone Windows 8. I'm doing testing at the moment with Zen Works Application Visualization
    Really? I must confess I struggled to find anything that doesn't work with W7... including Dos based stuff. You really must be have some old shitty legacy stuff!

Fortunately, a lot of the next gen business apps seem to be all going browser based. Which is a godsend as you kinda get the thin client type experience without silly thin client, piss take server licensing! Even better if you can persuade the IT boss to go with office365 email. 5 euro per user per month. everything is in the cloud, no email servers, no clients... all web based (or outlook if you have office installed). 25gb storage each. Anybody can access their work email from anywhere in the world, from any computer.... zero headaches for IT dept.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hardware was a problem for us when we migrated to win7.

Old parallel port printers (HP Laserjets and Deskjets) had no fucking drivers, and the generic ones didn't work. Time Study boards that use serial leads. Other warehouse type stuff, label printers etc.

Even with adapters to connect the old shit, hardly any worked and it all had to be scrapped. In instances where it couldn't be scrapped, old PC's with base install of XP were left. Got a compaq 486 floating round with NT4 on it used for some funky label printer with a dongle on it. Company is just to cheap to replace such shite or buy the new connectors or network kits for it.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My one experience with it was not positive. My mum had a new laptop and asked me to change the antivirus once the bundled (in cahoots with Lenovo) free trial one ran out. I just wanted a start button to get to the control panel, just that simple thing. I could uninstall the old antivirus which was surprisingly easy given my previous experience with McAfee. However it took me a fair bit of searching using the stupid "gesture to bring up search" feature to find the controls I wanted to enable the built-in windows defender. These sort of actions should be easy to do, more than that the steps should be intuitive. Not impressed.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Talking about the corporate world - unless ms pulls out something special for 9 and very quickly, I think 7 will be the next xp - will still be in major usage 10 years from now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Someone pointed out something today that I'd not considered... What effect is continuously stabbing at your laptop's touchscreen gonna have on it's hinges?

It's always the first thing to go on my laptops.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good point - I've had a few dell d620/630's - still perfectly usuable except slightly dim screens and not latest kit.

Pretty much all of them have issues where the hinges are a bit sloppy - move the laptop round with the screen open and often they will flop forwards or backwards.

That was without win8 going anywhere near them/no touch screens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

With HTML 5 and beyond everything is going to be SaaS. All you'll need in 5 years is a cheap Chromebook. MS are better suited concentrating on that, fuck the desktop OS, it's dead.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    With HTML 5 and beyond everything is going to be SaaS. All you'll need in 5 years is a cheap Chromebook. MS are better suited concentrating on that, fuck the desktop OS, it's dead.
    where's my fucking waders ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    where's my fucking waders ?
    The 'pond' I was 'fishing' in was particularly toxic and they looked like a pair of flip flops after I'd finished.

2 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

4me2 (3rd April 2013),  Rick Sanchez (3rd April 2013)  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234