Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Olympic chiefs: Don't bring any detachable-lens camera to Wembley

If you plan to bring an interchangeable-lens camera to the Olympics football at Wembley, play safe and leave it at home.

That's the stark message from Olympics chiefs who have today warned spectators not to bring 'any' cameras with detachable lenses into Wembley Stadium in case they breach rules by looking ‘professional'.

They fear that amateurs, who don't hold media accreditation, will grab unauthorised photos and video footage of the action and post it on websites such as YouTube.

The move comes after Wembley said it will show the red card to any ‘professional-style cameras [any cameras with interchangeable lenses] or recording/transmitting devices'.

Olympics bosses admit there are no clear rules guiding Wembley security staff on the difference between professional and non-professional cameras, despite today's growing number of consumer-level models with interchangeable lenses.

Organisers have told Amateur Photographer (AP) that it is better to be safe than sorry and to leave any camera with an interchangeable lens at home.
    Wembley is the only Olympic venue not to adopt regulations laid down elsewhere by London 2012 organisers, according to Locog which has set a 30cm limit on spectators' camera equipment at other sites.

‘If in doubt leave it out,' said Locog's spokesman for Wembley Keith Cooper, who cautioned that Olympics fans will have nowhere to leave their cameras at the gates if they fall foul of the rules.

AP is seeking comment on the matter from Panasonic, a key sponsor of London 2012, which launched the latest in its line of non-professional compact system cameras only yesterday.

Cooper explained that organisers decided not to draw up a list of which cameras it classes as ‘professional', telling AP that subsequent checks would cause delays at the security points and that - in any case - he expects such rules to only affect hobbyists, who represent a ‘minority' of the public.

‘It's an inexact science,' added Cooper who said he doesn't predict an ‘epidemic of great proportions' in relation to cameras.
    ‘The feeling is that the regulation has worked well in the past so why change it.'

Though Locog has now effectively moved into the stadium, checks on spectators will be conducted by security staff already used at Wembley, according to the Football Association (FA).

‘It will be the same security as that used at event and match days,' said a spokesman for the FA who confirmed that Wembley will not be using G4S security staff like other Olympics sites.

Wembley's own security staff will follow existing conditions of entry to the stadium, which mirror those laid down for the Olympics.

Though the FA spokesman conceded that many consumer-level cameras now feature interchangeable lenses, he told AP: ‘In over 100 events, we've never had an issue with people not being able to get a camera in.

‘I don't envisage [the Olympics] to be any different.'

Cooper said that, in any event, it is too late to change the rules - adding that he has not experienced any problems in his 30 years of dealing with events management.

Speaking earlier, the FA spokesman told AP that he did not know what the procedure is if someone is stopped, repeating that it has never happened before.

‘The stadium has a pretty pragmatic approach and the security staff have vast experience at dealing with this. If it looks like [it has] a huge zoom lens then it probably won't be allowed in.'

When asked whether Olympics organisers bowed to pressure from Wembley over the rules, a Locog spokesperson said: ‘It is part of discussions held with the venues themselves. It's [about] coming to an agreement together.'

The first Olympics football matches at Wembley are due to kick off on 29 July, featuring a Group A clash between Great Britain and the United Arab Emirates.

Source

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Northernbloke (19th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Olympic chiefs: Don't bring any detachable-lens camera to Wembley

I bet there was none of this shite in the 2008 Olympics. We are supposed to be highlighting our great nation and so far we are just proving what a useless set of headless cunts we are.

3 Thanks given to {{909}}

cybollox (22nd July 2012),  DJ OD (20th July 2012),  Zoots (19th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

All about the money. Joyless wankers.

Thanks to Geko

the.insane (19th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

When Switzerland hosted the Euro cup back in 2008, the newspapers brimmed with pride at how well everything was going, how happy visiting fans were etc.. In the UK we seem destined to do the exact opposite. The latest trend seems to be LOCOG and an inexhaustible news supply of happless officials and their stupid rules, usually non-issues which the media can blow out of all proportion to get us tutting into our tea cups.

COME ON BRITAIN.. ENJOY THE OLYMPICS AND BE PROUD OF WHAT WE'VE ACHEIVED.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Geko (19th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

What's next, you won't be allowed to wear a suit as senior businessmen with their free tickets want a monopoly on looking smart?

Thanks to Over Carl

rids (20th July 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Its always a risk taking a decent SLR to a sporting venue. Personally I wouldn't do it just in case the monkeys on the door took exception. The guidance for these guys is so poor and they generally don't have any leeway/ability to use common sense.

My advice is to fuck the games off, go and photograph something a bit more interesting.
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

2 Thanks given to big-paul

the.insane (19th July 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (19th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

We have tickets for a number of events at the Olympics and I'm not even contemplating taking my SLR. Couple of reasons, one because the killjoys have said don't bother and two because I expect to be liberated of it at knife point, gun point or big heavy fist point within minutes of arriving and it's just not worth it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Zero interest in the Olympics even though like the everyone else (and particularly in Greater London) we have paid stupidly big money for it, roll on the end of it.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

5 Thanks given to blaggard

B.I.G. (19th July 2012),  big-paul (19th July 2012),  Geko (19th July 2012),  the.insane (19th July 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (19th July 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Zero interest in the Olympics even though like the everyone else (and particularly in Greater London) we have paid stupidly big money for it, roll on the end of it.
    Hear hear mate. I was living in London when it was all announced a few years ago and decided then I would get the feck out. Moved away in 2006 and not regretted it once. Every time I come back it takes around 5 minutes to remember why I left. I imagine right now it's 10 times worse.
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

3 Thanks given to big-paul

blaggard (19th July 2012),  the.insane (19th July 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (19th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had my DSLR taken off me at Wembley in 2008 at the charity shield. They said that the camera looked professional. I told them I only wanted to take photos of my son at his first football match but they were having none of it. Thanks god for smartphones.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Aye this is nothing new - any cameras with detachable lenses have been classed as 'professional' at most events for a while now

I have just stopped taking my main dslr camera to any big events I go to to avoid any possible hassle

Thanks to prezzy

big-paul (19th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post

I concur.

But.... I still love London. I just don't think it's Infrastructure can handle normal every day life, so why stretch it further.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stick it in the bottom of you bag the wembley security I went to never checked past the first of 2 coats on top. If I lived down that way I would have probably gone to some event or other but watching football at Old Trafford not too bothered about I can do that during the football season.

I did fancy going to the MEN tonight for the mens USA v GB basketball but decided against it when I saw the huge prices for tickets.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's who is running the Olympics:

http://www.london2012.com/about-us/t...mpic-partners/

Are we surprised when simple human liberties are denied?

8 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Bald Bouncer (19th July 2012),  big-paul (19th July 2012),  blaggard (19th July 2012),  DJ OD (20th July 2012),  Geko (19th July 2012),  Over Carl (20th July 2012),  prezzy (19th July 2012),  the.insane (19th July 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post

Just that one word 'Atos' is enough to get me foaming at the mouth, fuck them all and then fuck Lord Corrupt right up his pampered, reeking freckle!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post

"The Olympics are an £11bn, taxpayer-funded advertising campaign for some of the worst corporations in the world"

2 Thanks given to super mike

Northernbloke (20th July 2012),  Over Carl (20th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I took my DSLR and big fuck off lens to Wimbledon this year, not all events are organised/run by fucktards.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The thing is football security under the FA they do not allow people to take photos in grounds (read up on dataco) it is easier to keep that rule they are southerners and employed in security rembember than to get them to remember to let cameras in the ground.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    "The Olympics are an £11bn, taxpayer-funded advertising campaign for some of the worst corporations in the world"
    Listened to this today.

The chairman of the London Olympic Games Organising committee, Lord Coe, has defended the decision to ban spectators from displaying certain types of branding at games events.
    Asked by the Today programme's Evan Davis about the rules on branding which will apply to spectators, Lord Coe said "you probably wouldn't be walking in with a Pepsi T-shirt because Coca-Cola are our sponsors and they have put millions of pounds into this project but also millions of pounds into grassroots sport. It is important to protect those sponsors."
    But asked whether he could wear Nike trainers, Lord Coe said: "I think you probably could..."

Make sure you don't wear a Pepsi t-shirt.

Cunts

Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Karma Level

does anyone really think that coca cola would take action against the Olympic organisers if they didn't make efforts to stop people drinking or wearing competing brands? What if I happen to have a pepsi tattoo on my face?

I imagine some board or spineless, overpaid officials thinking of every possible way to avoid legal issues, and the result must be this shite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast