Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice AA, RAC or Green flag?

I'm driving to Italy again in a couple of weeks and i was about to book some breakdown cover with the AA who i am with, but to me it now seems they're taking the piss as this year they quoted me £125, so i've decided to shop around, the RAC quoted me £105, still high in my opinion here's the thing, Green flag only want £50, and unless i'm missing something the cover they all offer seems the same, which is, get you to a garage and cover around £250 pounds worth of repair, if it's not repairable, take you to your destination or take you home.

If i was unfortunate enough to breakdown on the way, in either France, Switzerland or Italy, these companies would surely use local breakdown recovery people to deal with it, so i'm failing to see why there is such a big difference in price.

Does anyone have any experience of european driving and/or having used any of these 3 companies, is it really worth paying so much more to the big 2, do you get what you pay for? and how do green flag compare in the UK?

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: AA, RAC or Green flag?

Rac have contracts in Lyon, France so they get it cheaper and can do hires etc. i've only ever.used rac
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

RAC is currently £60 Quidco back on it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always used AA and had a great service from them on every occasion, that said never used the European service so can't add anything to that side of it, always wondered if green flags service is up to scratch come renewal time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have breakdown and eu cover with my insurance, always have and its normally 40-50 quid. im sure they will mostly use contractors anyway.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They are all about the same really, try to get it as an add on to your Bank Account, Home Insurance etc.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

One thing i forgot to mention is, i don't go in my gas guzzling Peugeot convertible, i go in my son in laws 1.4 Astra diesel, mainly because one tank full has a range of about 600 miles, so 3 tank fills is more than enough to get us to Naples, one tank fill in my Peugeot wouldn't get me to Dover.

I'm not certain if my bank, home insurance etc will cover that, but i will enquire.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    One thing i forgot to mention is, i don't go in my gas guzzling Peugeot convertible, i go in my son in laws 1.4 Astra diesel, mainly because one tank full has a range of about 600 miles, so 3 tank fills is more than enough to get us to Naples, one tank fill in my Peugeot wouldn't get me to Dover.

I'm not certain if my bank, home insurance etc will cover that, but i will enquire.
    Just to be clear, it's not banks etc providing the cover but having arrangements with breakdown companies to offer special rates when joined via them.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have AA home start with my bank (Halifax ultimate reward). I think it's £15 per month but £5 is refunded if you put £1000 in each month. Also includes phone and travel insurance identity protection etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

RAC all the way mate, AA are going through a patch where their renewals and new members are sky high at the moment so competitors are taking those customers in. As above RAC have links to Lyon where they get hires cheaply etc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I was with AA for years but this time I went with start rescue (got cashback from topcashback) took top scheme, had good reviews and the Iphone app means u just have to click "rescue me" and they know where you are etc.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rip off Britain in action again.

In Germany using ADAC I could have Breakdown cover and medical insurance anywhere in Europe for myself and family for €79.50 a year.

Scroll down to bottom

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/le...rcePageId=6729

Ihre Mitgliedschaft: ADACPlusMitgliedschaft
    Ihr Tarif:79,50 €/Jahr

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got this for single trip to france £25 for next week http://www.travelcoverquote.com/VR11/

got good reviews on here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

AA saved my life 3 times when I've been stranded but only once was the service acceptable. One time they had me waiting over 2 hours at around 2 am on the m6. The other time I told them I had burnt out my clutch so send a proper tow truck to take me home at 9.30 am. At around 11am a little patrol van came out and agreed I needed a proper tow truck as my clutch had gone.

Green flag have been blinding for my mum. Last time she wrote off her car she called me striaght after. I had literally just got changed and got my tools and a torch together when the car arrived on a tow truck - 30 mins from putting in the call to getting the car home - some kind of miracle that one.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    I was with AA for years but this time I went with start rescue (got cashback from topcashback) took top scheme, had good reviews and the Iphone app means u just have to click "rescue me" and they know where you are etc.
    LS
    I had never heard of start rescue before so decided to investigate, they offered very inexpensive cover, but i thought i would have a look on http://www.reviewcentre.com and my god i've never seen so many bad reviews, but reading on they also get good reviews??? having said that the AA RAC and Green flag also get lots of bad and good reviews??? lol

Thanks to ilscuro

Mr Men (22nd July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

im with aa not sure which one i got but i got the option if i break diwn they tow me home, really not interested in them
    taking me to a local garage to repair my car mear where i break down, its about 7 a month money well spent considering how much it wood cost to get towed back from anywhere

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that's Relay, same as I've got. Even if you're the other end of the country they'll get you all the way home, although may be in stages, but better than being stranded in some dodgy garage.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greaseweasel View Post
    Yeah that's Relay, same as I've got. Even if you're the other end of the country they'll get you all the way home, although may be in stages, but better than being stranded in some dodgy garage.
    compltely agree mate, i think thats why i chose aa over the rac, either the rac didnt do that service or they were a lot more expensive. i think its one of those things you gotta have when you have a car, specially cos the car i drive is fairly old

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was brought home by the AA back in the late 70s when it was all a bit new, just South of Sheffield to South London took 16 hours, FUCK relay, it took 2 hours for them to get me off the Motorway and then huge waits at each Motorway Service Station for the changeover!
    Since then I avoided them if likely to be a long way from home and MOST of the time have used the RAC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    im with aa not sure which one i got but i got the option if i break diwn they tow me home, really not interested in them
    taking me to a local garage to repair my car mear where i break down, its about 7 a month money well spent considering how much it wood cost to get towed back from anywhere

Check out the small print and you will see most policies that are sold on the fact they will get you home actually have small print about taking you to a local garage of their choice to get the car repaired.