Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Buying a second hand ipad 3 16gb model advice on what to check and any recommended ap

Hi all,

I am buying a second hand one as a gift to someone who is not technical minded and is a pensioner (my mum. no sniggering at the back lol). She has been wanting an ipad for ages and someone has offered me a good price for one so thought I would ask you more experienced users of this what I should be looking out for and recommended apps. I have never used one and want to ensure a smooth as possible transition. The model is a ipad 3 today black 16gb model and want to ask

1\What things should I be checking for prior to agreeing the deal and in terms of configuration and itunes if I understand things correctly I need to ensure I go to settings\general\erase all content and settings in iTunes? - This should ensure the previous persons settings dont exist on iTunes is this correct or is there other stuff I need to do?

2\What apps do you recommend (preferably free ones) - She likes viewing films, music and photos and may even read a book or two.

3\Games would be good as well for when she has my daughter over to visit would need to be free though.

Thanks in advance

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Buying a second hand ipad 3 16gb model advice on what to check and any recommende

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf72 View Post
    Hi all,

I am buying a second hand one as a gift to someone who is not technical minded and is a pensioner (my mum. no sniggering at the back lol). She has been wanting an ipad for ages and someone has offered me a good price for one so thought I would ask you more experienced users of this what I should be looking out for and recommended apps. I have never used one and want to ensure a smooth as possible transition. The model is a ipad 3 today black 16gb model and want to ask

1\What things should I be checking for prior to agreeing the deal and in terms of configuration and itunes if I understand things correctly I need to ensure I go to settings\general\erase all content and settings in iTunes? - This should ensure the previous persons settings dont exist on iTunes is this correct or is there other stuff I need to do?

2\What apps do you recommend (preferably free ones) - She likes viewing films, music and photos and may even read a book or two.

3\Games would be good as well for when she has my daughter over to visit would need to be free though.

Thanks in advance
    It's more than likely the previous owner will have restored it to factory and so when you turn it on
    you will go through the setup procedure
    Apps for viewing films (I don't think she will be into going to sites to download movies etc) might mean either Lovefilm, Netflix or itunes to rent movies and watch them on there.
    Games.. well probably best just to go to the itunes store and check them out..

i'm sure she will love it
    Last edited by supraman54; 31st July 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks to supraman54

gandalf72 (31st July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Buying a second hand ipad 3 16gb model advice on what to check and any recommende

Thanks for the reply, Daft question but can they play divx films? Do you have to convert them etc and any recommendations?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Be REALLY careful, a refurb from Apple is an option unless it is really cheap and since Apple kit holds its price so well cheap is suspicious. . . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw amazon selling Black 16gb for £380 delivered. This person is coming to the flat tonight and is looking for £330 with a leather case for 16gb warranty till end of May. Just not sure what to look out for on it other than pixels and the obvious no marks which he says it has none.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the reply, Daft question but can they play divx films? Do you have to convert them etc and any recommendations?
    They play AVI's no problem with an app called aviplayerHD (this will also play MKV's (x264)).. I guess you wil be downloading them then LOL

Also check online at Apple that the serial number of the iPad is OK for warranty before you part with money

Thanks to supraman54

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw amazon selling Black 16gb for £380 delivered. This person is coming to the flat tonight and is looking for £330 with a leather case for 16gb warranty till end of May. Just not sure what to look out for on it other than pixels and the obvious no marks which he says it has none.
    Sounds seriously cheap, be VERY careful!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

There's a brand new one on eBay black 16gb wifi going for £350 with no bidders.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Out of curiosity, how many movies can the 16gb roughly hold?