Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Microsoft Reinvents Its Online Email Offering By Launching Outlook.com, Here’s How To

Hotmail has been around for what feels like forever, and alongside Gmail it has been one of the most used online email services on the planet. Today Microsoft gave its own email service some competition, with the new Outlook.com preview set to run alongside Hotmail, at least for now.

With Microsoft very much aware that users have fallen out of love with Hotmail for one reason or another, the company has chosen to build a fresh offering rather than to try and tack parts on to the existing Hotmail, leaving us with two competing services from the same company. We would expect Hotmail to go away eventually, with Outlook.com being left to go up against Gmail all on its own.

As of today, Outlook.com is wide open to the public, and with unlimited storage and 7GB of SkyDrive space thrown in too, getting yourself a good @outlook.com email address right now may be a better idea than you’d have previously thought.

If there is one thing that immediately jumps out at you when signing in to Outlook.com, it’s the Metro-style interface. We have a colorful, tile-like interface that has more than a little of the Windows Phone about it. Well, Windows Phone and Windows 8 we should probably say, but you get our point. It feels light-years ahead of what users of Hotmail will be accustomed to, and looks similar to the minimalist experience that Google went for with the latest iteration of Gmail.

Despite the name, Outlook.com resembles the new Metro interface more than the Outlook app that many will be using in their work environments. That’s nether a good, nor bad thing in our eyes, but it is noticeable that Microsoft didn’t want to simply recreate the Outlook web access interface for Outlook.com, which is interesting to us. Whether that’s a good thing will depend on your feelings on Metro, but it’s a choice Microsoft needed to make.

The best thing to do if you want to get the lowdown on Microsoft’s Outlook.com is to give it a try for yourself. With signups now open to everyone and the service being free, there really is no reason to not get your account claimed right now before someone else does. Have a play and make your own mind up.

The sign-up process is rather simple, simply point your browser to Outlook.com and click on “Sign Up” at the bottom left of the page as shown in the screenshot below:

Now, simply fill in all of your required details and click on “I accept” at the bottom, that’s it, you’re done!

That said, does it offer enough to pull users away from Gmail? Time will tell.

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 31st July 2012 at 08:26 PM.

9 Thanks given to evilsatan

Bilbo_baggin (4th January 2013),  DejaVu (31st July 2012),  gurry (31st July 2012),  lloydi (31st July 2012),  mc.dodd (31st July 2012),  moonrat (31st July 2012),  Mystical_2K (4th January 2013),  Over Carl (1st August 2012),  Rick Sanchez (31st July 2012)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft Reinvents Its Online Email Offering By Launching Outlook.com, Here’s Ho

Just got myself a decent address in case it's worth having.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft Reinvents Its Online Email Offering By Launching Outlook.com, Here’s Ho

me too, always handy, cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers registered mine too

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup I managed to grab a wicked email address. I really like the interface on this as well, much nicer than gmail.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Unbelievably, my username @outlook.com is already taken. Gutted.

Got my named one instead, which would have been available in 10 years time TBH!! lol

--EDIT
    Just got one that's not bad I suppose (signed up for 2)... wondering now if all my emails can be consolidated into one online account.
    IE give Outlook.com access to my Gmail accounts. Would'nt that be nice, all working in unison.

--EDIT2
    FOUND!!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 31st July 2012 at 11:17 PM.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got my company one. Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got my real_name@hotmail.co.uk a few days after it launched. I was also dopey enough to do the same for all my immediate family and loose the bit of paper with the details before I told them the details. Just signed everyone up on this one and hopefully won't loose the details again
    Last edited by Over Carl; 1st August 2012 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks to Over Carl

mc.dodd (1st August 2012)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wanted to start using this today, but can't remember what I signed up with. Tit!

--phew
    Remembered it!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 4th January 2013 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

chesser (4th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I got the address I wanted which I was pleased about did it when it first hit the scene all the family up too

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re:

Totally forgot about these!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Microsoft Reinvents Its Online Email Offering By Launching Outlook.com, Here’s How To

I used mine for my windows 8 account so I've got a fresh start. Going to move my Xbox live account to it as well.