Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Any fisherman out there???

Had some gear given and the young wants me to take him fishing??
    Just moved about 200 metres from the sea aswell but dont really know what I am doing.

Can anyone recommend any advice on what else I will need to go shore/beach fishing.

Got couple of rods, a stand and couple of reels.
    Apparently loads of Sea Bass around where I am.... (the River Deben going in from the sea (Felixstowe))

Thanks for any tips yall

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any fisherman out there???

Never done sea fishing but get yourself down to your local tackle shop they will be more than willing to guide you or go watch them fishing and ask there

jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks to jaguar982

macmilm (9th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Used to do a bit of sea fishing around the north west of England but coarse fish rivers now targeting barbel, mainly the Ribble. I can highly recommend joining the World Sea Fishing Forums. Very informative and some good helpful members.

2 Thanks given to Wizzo

macmilm (9th August 2012),  mc.dodd (9th August 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
    Used to do a bit of sea fishing around the north west of England but coarse fish rivers now targeting barbel, mainly the Ribble. I can highly recommend joining the World Sea Fishing Forums. Very informative and some good helpful members.
    Hi wizzo i'm also a barbel addict can't beat the fight pound for pound i'm off to the Ribble today but only fished it a couple of times....
    I've fished Bonsai Nursey and Dewhurst farm and gunna give Dewhurst farm another bash, i was wondering if you could recommend any other day ticket stretches?
    Going to the Severn (Bridgnorth) for a week next Friday so looking forward to that. Just can't get enough this season

Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread macmilm....

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is a great spot for Barbel on the severn at Hampton Load - bout 10 miles downstream from Bridgenorth.
    You can pitch a tent / caravan or hire a lodge at The Unicorn Inn campsite, and if you go 3 fields downstream from the site its a great spot for 7lb + barbel

Thanks to Geezah

JONNYG (19th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You could always take a trip down the A1 Pits

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sea bass are my favourite catch mate, although I also fish for others like pollock and mackerel.

My best way to catch them is generally with lures - sub surface ones which lay about 10-20 cm under the water and also poppers - poppers actually stay on the surface and as you reel them in, you 'pop' the line to imitate a small fish.. they can be hard work though as you really have to work them to get the best out of them... you're arm will ache the next day when you start out.

If it's an estuary you'd fish, then I imagine actually bottom rig feeding is a fair way for bass (as well as flatties etc.) if it's open sea, then in around the rock gulleys as tide is coming in and out - this is when I've found the best times... I also don't go for the 'throw it out as far as you can' routine, I often catch decent bass a few metres out as they like to swim gulleys and catch a meal as the surf throws up prawns and small fish etc.

On a boat, general spinning is good as well as drop shot lures. Have a look on youtube for some decent tutorials on it.

Keep an eye on the bass size as well, there are conservation considerations with this species so keep that in mind.

My all rounder setup is a decent make 10' general purpose rod, a shakespeare salt xt fixed spool reel with 20lb line on it. I can rig up various tackle combinations on this with good results.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks to burner1

macmilm (20th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some good info there... cheers peeps

Someone locally said he has success catchin seabass usin fake sand eels as lures.... might try that

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JONNYG View Post
    Hi wizzo i'm also a barbel addict can't beat the fight pound for pound i'm off to the Ribble today but only fished it a couple of times....
    I've fished Bonsai Nursey and Dewhurst farm and gunna give Dewhurst farm another bash, i was wondering if you could recommend any other day ticket stretches?
    Going to the Severn (Bridgnorth) for a week next Friday so looking forward to that. Just can't get enough this season

Sorry for slightly hijacking your thread macmilm....
    Jonny...before joining a club I mainly fished the bonsai stretch and had some very good days out... had chub to nearly 7lb a few years ago but the last few years there have been no chub of any decent size showing anywhere on the Ribble. There is also the Tickled Trout stretch just further down river, tickets from the Tickled Trout Garage. Down River from that the opposite bank from the Tickeld Trout Bridge to the Shaws Arms is controlled by Bay Malton Anglers. Its a cheap club to join but day tickets are also available from Ted Carters at Preston but tbh I'm not keen. It's a good stretch for barbel, chub, bream and carp but you get plenty of knob heads on from the near by estate and a fair few eastern europeans.

Across from the Shaws Arms there is a pub called the bridge, park on the little road next to it and drop down next to the bridge. It's free fishing 50 yards either side of the bridge. Up river from Bonsai there is a stretch at Ribchester village controlled by Ribchester anglers. Day tickets from the Spar.
    Is Dewhurst farm a right just after the De Tabley bridge? ... we used to fish that stretch pay at the farm in the honesty box.

I'd recommend joining a club. Southport anglers have a stretch at the Church Deeps and Wigan and Warrington have a good stretch at Elston Hall but..love them or hate them get your name down for the Prince Albert. Never looked back since joining 3 years ago. The waiting list is about 5 years now but well worth it with all the waters they have just on the Ribble never mind the other 260 odd more they have. There is also Ribchester Anglers but for the same money you get a lot less waters but still an excellent club.

I'll be out tomorrow for a short while and then all day Thursday....might see you on the bank one day ... tight lines

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Jonny...before joining a club I mainly fished the bonsai stretch and had some very good days out... had chub to nearly 7lb a few years ago but the last few years there have been no chub of any decent size showing anywhere on the Ribble.
    Thanks for the informative reply Wizzo, I've fished the Bonsai Stretch a couple of times this season the first time was couple of month ago when the water was high with good colour and i managed to bag 3 nice Barbel and lost a couple on snags (very snaggy down there) and the last time i fished it i blanked and lost 4 or 5 feeders to snags

Down River from that the opposite bank from the Tickeld Trout Bridge to the Shaws Arms is controlled by Bay Malton Anglers. Its a cheap club to join but day tickets are also available from Ted Carters at Preston but tbh I'm not keen. It's a good stretch for barbel, chub, bream and carp but you get plenty of knob heads on from the near by estate and a fair few eastern europeans.
    I've been looking into joining Bay Malton next season as they have a nice stretch on the Dane aswell which i've fished the other side of and had some nice Barbel this year so defo worth considering.

Is Dewhurst farm a right just after the De Tabley bridge? ... we used to fish that stretch pay at the farm in the honesty box.
    Thats it mate, fished it last week for half a day but only had a small chub...

love them or hate them get your name down for the Prince Albert. Never looked back since joining 3 years ago. The waiting list is about 5 years now but well worth it with all the waters they have just on the Ribble never mind the other 260 odd more they have.
    Yeah got my name down for PAAS Wizzo, its a fair old wait though, i'm just going to forget about that and one day maybe one day

I'll be out tomorrow for a short while and then all day Thursday....might see you on the bank one day ... tight lines
    Yes hahaaa good to see theirs some fellow river anglers on here... Tight line m8