Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Xbox 360 Xbox 720: Microsoft to launch "new version of Xbox" within 18 months

As Microsoft attempts to smooth over talk of a "new Xbox" from one of its own executives, a job posting has seemingly revealed that the firm's next console will launch no later than early 2014. "Over the next eighteen months Microsoft will release new versions of all of our most significant products including Windows (Client, Server, Phone and Azure), Office and Xbox, along with completely new offerings like Microsoft Surface," reads the blurb.

"This wave of product launches will define the course of the company for years to come and thus provides an unprecedented opportunity for us to refresh and evolve our strategic brands," it adds.

Earlier this week, Xbox Live general manager Brian Hall dropped the "new Xbox" bomb in an interview with The Verge (via CVG). "We've operated Hotmail for about 16 years," he said. "We obviously have Exchange and Outlook that people use at work, and we just decided it was time to do something new and bring the best from each of those and put them together and release it right in time for the new wave of products that we have coming out with Windows 8, with the new version of Office, with the New Windows Phone and the new Xbox."

Microsoft later insisted that the remarks were "not understood in their intended context", and that Hall was actually referring to new Xbox services like Xbox SmartGlass and Xbox Music. This seems plausible. But then again, so does a winter 2013 Xbox 720 release date.

On Tuesday, Eurogamer.cz added weight to the idea by rumouring that 2K's unannounced Mafia 3 is a next gen game, scheduled for very early 2014 at the latest. What's your take?

Source
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox 720: Microsoft to launch "new version of Xbox" within 18 months

Microsoft should copy apple with their next release. Announce the console then have it in the shops 2 weeks later. That would really worry sony and nintendo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox 720: Microsoft to launch "new version of Xbox" within 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    Microsoft should copy apple with their next release. Announce the console then have it in the shops 2 weeks later. That would really worry sony and nintendo.
    Would that negate preorder chaos as well?

Thanks to Chubbs

Rick Sanchez (11th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Plus there is slways a big lull inbetween generations as noone wants to spend on tech they know is going yo be obselete in a few months.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope they dont rush this like they with the 360 and the RROD. I might actually buy this if its reliable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rush? the 360 came out 7 years ago. They need to get some new tech out asap!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Xbox 720: Microsoft to launch "new version of Xbox" within 18 months

MS have delayed Next Gen because they are too busy focusing on crap like Kinect. The Xbox 360 is now a family entertainment hub and not a console for the core gamer. I dread to see what the Next Gen Xbox is like, will probably be a casual family entertainment hub.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There's some renders of the new kinect up on the web, should be able to capture more detail on the player like fingers etc. I think xbox will always be a hard core gaming console if you want it. All the current or next gen console's will have their own Move's, Kinects but it's upto user if they want it or not. The Industry as a whole is relying on sequels to keep everything going with current tech but the future looks good.

Thanks to Armoured Hawk

Rick Sanchez (11th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seriously who gives a fuck about Kinect, its nothing but a pile of shit. The games are crap, its nothing but laggy and non responsive. MS are practically giving them away these days. Cant believe how MS have ruined the Xbox.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you dont like Kinect - dont use it

stop whining like a bitch

3 Thanks given to Raptor

ant3b (14th August 2012),  Armoured Hawk (13th August 2012),  Bald Bouncer (13th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont fucking use it, its the worst thing that MS could have relased yah fud.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
    I dont fucking use it, its the worst thing that MS could have relased yah fud.
    A bit of respect for the boss. You don't have to buy the games and you don't have to buy the hardware. There are a lot of people out there who can make up their own minds about using kinect or just using the xbox itself.
    Last edited by Armoured Hawk; 13th August 2012 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
    Seriously who gives a fuck about Kinect, its nothing but a pile of shit. The games are crap, its nothing but laggy and non responsive. MS are practically giving them away these days. Cant believe how MS have ruined the Xbox.

Giving them away???? From what I can see the price has hardly dropped since launch.... I know this cos this missus is buggin me 2 get one..
    They are still around £100 mark new