Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

free Convert Windows 8 to Classic Shell Menu System!

When Vista came out people made skins to make XP look like Vista,now we can make Windows 8 look like windows 95.
    Where is the middle ground these days LOL

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Classic Shell - Anyone tried it?

Classic Start Menu

Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista. It has a variety of advanced features:

• Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
    • Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
    • Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
    • Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
    • Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
    • Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
    • The search box helps you find your programs without getting in the way of your keyboard shortcuts
    • Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
    • Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
    • Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
    • Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
    • Converts the “All Programs” button in the Windows menu into a cascading menu (Vista and Windows 7)
    • Implements a customizable start button for Windows 8
    • And last but not least – it's FREE!

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/features.html

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

H4ss4n (15th December 2012),  Raptor (11th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Classic Shell - Anyone tried it?

That looks like a great project

here's another I found thats seems popular as it uses Windows own code and settings and no 3rd party apps (unless you want to use ViStart which is actually very good)

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/win8-win...view-1784.html

Will also pin this so others can add different solutions / experiences as I feel that it will be a very popular mod for most Win8 users who want the extra power and functionality but don't want to be forced to changed the way we expect to work with an OS Gui (i mean its not even a Microsoft thing, even Apple and Linux distro/s have the classic menu / icons method of navigating. I appreciate MS is trying to take shit to the next level - but forcing ppl to go down a one way street is going to prove the biggest complaint - even with people who have never even tried metro for themselves will complain about it as it will become the latest popular meme of the next 2 years. I havent had time to dive in to all areas of the OS yet, but it installed sweetly and booted fast on my vmware box - but i just hated the navigation from the getgo - and as many of you know ive been an IT pro for over half my life and like to think I actually have a clue - well first impressions had me scratching my head - my initial reaction was to use hand gestures on the screen before forgetting that I had a mouse and KB to use. I'm sure with time it will settle down and if there is a beauty to be found that has unyet been tapped into - it will be discovered and will be lauded as the most bold move by any OS provider since the first Apple OS and since the first DOS deal made with IBM when those kids had NOTHING to bring to the table - they didnt even have Dos to sell so they just sold the idea of licensing to the big almighty powerful suits at IBM. Instead of paying us $20 million for this project - why not just pay us 25cents for every box you sell with it included and we will included it for free - you just give us a 25 cent royalty. The suits thought this scrawny little kid was crazy but fuck him if thats what he wants lets sign him to the deal. He will be stuck with us for the next 10 years and wont be able to do shit about it. Yeah fuck this Bill Gates guy.

Bill Gates then walks out of that metting to find someone who has made something, anaything that could run easily for an end user an os. They find a guy, indebt and he has a program he wrote on a floppy disc. Bill says its perfect - instruct steve balmer to give him everything they had for it - which was $55,000 with no claims to any futureprojects that the dos program would ever been involved witrh forver. The guy was expecting to sell it for $500 - so right now hes in la la land planning his surfing trips for the next 10 years.

Nill and Steve go back to there shitty little office and bebrand it and get it working on an IBM PC-DOS machine. It boots, it has small apps, can do calulations, run basic code - it was mind blowing to the suits. The suits signed the licensing deal (this is the one major contribution by bill gates to the planet and commerce and how business would now be done for the next century MINIMUM. IBM thought they were getting a steal. They didnt have to invest in shit. They didnt have to spend $800 on an OS to pout with a PC - no they added it in the price for free. 25 cents ? IBM though bill and steve were clowns. Stupid college dropouts.

Year 1: 17 year old Bill's license fees $1,000,000 (low tax rate as its a dividend not a salary)
    Year 2: 18 year old Bill's license fees $10,000,000 ( still low tax rate as its a dividend not a salary)
    Year 3: 19 year old Bill's license fees $100,000,000 ( still low tax rate as its a dividend not a salary)

Microsoft is now a player in software - but he is still not taken seriousley. The other guy over at Apple is the one making waves - Steve Jobs is about to show off the Macintosh. Built in keybaord, color gui, icons, windows, and a MOUSE - WTF??? (nice stele from xerox)

Jobs was so cocky he let Bill take a Macintosh home to play with it and to come up with as many crazy ideas as he could. Yeah nice move Steve - so cocky they didnt sign an NDA.

Bill came up with some new shit alright - it was called Windows.

The rest as they say is fucking history

Pirates of Silicon Valley - great movie

2 Thanks given to Raptor

DJ OD (11th August 2012),  New Art Riot (6th December 2012)