Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default galaxy note 2 when it comes out changing from iphone "jailbreakable"?

I am probably going to buy the galaxy note 2 after it is announced later this month but know nothing about android. My iphone 4 is jailbroken mainly for things like tom tom which i consider too pricey . i dont mind paying for the smaller cheaper apps but not the bigger corporate ones . my question is can tom tom and similar apps be d/l on android for free . I have heard the term rooted but have no idea what it means . Is rooted just an unlock? any help appreciated cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: galaxy note 2 when it comes out changing from iphone "jailbreakable"?

If you want to install free apps you do not need to be rooted. Rooting an Android device allows you to put custom Roms on and basically tweak settings that the normal OS wont allow.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: galaxy note 2 when it comes out changing from iphone "jailbreakable"?

You don't need Tom Tom on Android. The built in Sat nav is actually quite good imho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Android comes with all the functionality that a jailbreak gives you, and more...!

You only need to root (gaining access to the root directory) if you wish to mess about with the software aspect of the phone, which a lot of android users like to do. It enables you to flash tweaked versions of software and to get the newest android updates quicker than the phone manufacturers release it. As said above, you don't need Tom Tom though, as the google navigation is just as good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

tom tom isn't available but I use copilot. Google nav is very good HOWEVER it relies on a net connection to work. I prefer having an offline solution on the phone and use either depending on my situation
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    tom tom isn't available but I use copilot. Google nav is very good HOWEVER it relies on a net connection to work. I prefer having an offline solution on the phone and use either depending on my situation
    If you are on the latest maps version you can save sections for use offline, hit the menu key while viewing the section of the map you want and save offline

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for that its not just tom tom though its things like my golf gps software and quite a few other music related progs such as garage band etc. ill have to have a look at my mates galaxy s5 n see whats avail and for what cost. google maps isnt an option since i drive everyday and in the countryside a lot where there is no 3g

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by purpleanimal23 View Post
    If you are on the latest maps version you can save sections for use offline, hit the menu key while viewing the section of the map you want and save offline
    I was about to say that. . . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's marvellous if you always know where you're going to be going...
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have most sections of the UK saved offline, you just have to put a bit of effort in now, you can do large chunks just zoom out a bit. Not bad for free satnav, I have in dash sat nav so have no interest in buying an app and was reluctant to rely on google nav (more specifically data coverage) when I wasn't in my car until now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Co-pilot is my Sat-Nav of choice on Android. The paid for version is worth every penny but they also do a free version where you can unlock certain features with in app purchases.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have most sections of the UK saved offline, you just have to put a bit of effort in now, you can do large chunks just zoom out a bit. Not bad for free satnav, I have in dash sat nav so have no interest in buying an app and was reluctant to rely on google nav (more specifically data coverage) when I wasn't in my car until now.

But does saving the maps work with navigation? I have tried it, and it doesn't for me....!