Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Man arrested in hit-and-run probe

Sabah had taken her brother to the shop and were walking home when they were hit

A man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving following a hit-and-run incident in Leeds that left two children seriously injured.

Rayhaan Saleem, two, and his 10-year-old sister Sabah were hit by a car in Brudenell Road, Hyde Park, on Saturday.

They had been returning home from a local shop.

The arrested man, 36, is also being questioned on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident.

Sabah remains in a critical but stable condition at Leeds General Infirmary, while her brother is said to be "improving".

'Vehicle recovered'A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "At around 9.30pm this evening [Monday] police arrested a 36-year-old Leeds man in connection with the incident.

"Police have also recovered a vehicle in connection with the investigation. The 36-year-old remains in custody tonight for questioning by officers."

Earlier the children's aunt, Saima Rafique, had made a plea for the driver of the car to come forward.

Ms Rafique said the children had been knocked down as they returned from the shop with food for the family's Eid celebrations.

"I really want my princess home," she said.

"She had just completed her Holy Koran three days ago and was so happy.

"She had a cake ordered especially for her, we were going to celebrate on Eid day. She didn't get to see her cake."

West Yorkshire Police have said the driver slowed down to see what had happened and then sped away.

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Man arrested in hit-and-run probe

What sort of human can knock down a couple of young children & then drive off without helping, I hope he gets a very long sentence & more importantly the children get well soon.

There may be more to it like he was drink driving & now believes by driving off he'll get a lesser sentence, obviously his IQ is alot lower than an ordinary person!