Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    A good way to start heating up the solder is to melt some other solder onto it, strange but true.
    I always do that. I think it helps the iron nib spread it's effective area of heat conductivity, especially if the iron has some oxidation on it. I always use a damp sponge before and after using my irons as well. If you have a dirty nib, it can make the solder bubble up into a ball which doesn't help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

I've just moved house and am on the lookout for a cheap TV for the bedroom. Money is extremely tight at the moment, especially with my lad's XBox One in order for Christmas.

Having read this thread and done a bit of soldering over the past few years, I'm confident'ish to have a stab at swapping some caps on a TV.

Two questions:-

1) We've for a Technika 22". All works fine except for the HDMI port. I could strip it at the weekend and have a nosey around. Is this likely to be a swollen cap, some secondary board, or something else? All other ports seem to work fine.

2) I've seen a few faulty digital rear projection / plasmas / LCDs / LEDs floating around locally but not had the balls to spend even £20 to buy one and start troubleshooting it. It doesn't help that my Multimeter is knackered and I don't properly know how to use it. When I came round to actually trying to learn how to use it the damn thing had died! But, are there any particular makes / models of TV that I could possibly pick up dirt cheap and repair by swapping a few caps? I know its not guaranteed as this this kind of thing never is. Just maybe a few pointers would be useful. Service Manuals as linked above will help and I'll happily go away and have a flick through these for common faults or indicators of a PSU based fault.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

would it be a good idea to change all capacitors as they are so cheap.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think that is what people who sell the kits recommend. Some people also seem to suggest going for slightly higher voltage caps so that they cope better and are less likely to fail in the future.

Don't take this as gospel though as I haven't tried this, yet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you for this useful post their is a lot of good information in it

regards norm

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Think you need to slow you're roll norm.

Check the PM and Intro posts fella. Post Boosters do not last long here!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks to DejaVu

4me2 (26th May 2014)  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234