Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

Haven't repaired any TV's since the days of the Hybrids but repaired a couple of LCD TV's last week for a couple of friends. Thought I would share some info that may be useful to someone:

Unlike the TVs of years ago which used to suffer all sorts of failures, especially with the high voltage circuits, the majority of faults now seem to be failing capacitors. These failed capacitors can usually be spotted just by having a good look. The power supply board will usually be the culprit. To make everything smaller the capacitors selected for the job operate very close to their maximum voltage rating. On a 15 volt line for example they have 16v capacitors fitted. This is probably why they fail so often. Repaired both TV's without switching on my multimeter or capacitance meter. Just a soldering iron, and a pozidrive screwdriver to take the back off and the circuit board out (all cables just unplug).

One of the TV's would not switch on from standby. Sure enough there was one capacitor which was showing signs of failure by the bulging top which should normally be totally flat. Cost of repair 1 capacitor @ 38p

The second TV came on but did not have any display. The fault was two capacitors alongside the transformers supplying the 300 or so volts to the cold cathod backlight tubes. In the past capacitor failure was usually obvious with a ruptured or leaking case. There was only a slight bulge on these but was still noticeable with a close look. Cost of repair Two capacitors @ £75p each

So if you have a non working LCD TV, don't throw it away without first having a good look at the capacitors on the power supply board. The capacitor top should be completely flat. Even the slightest bulge is a sure sign of failure. Don't need any special soldering skills to change them because the solder pads are a decent size and nothing like trying to change a component on something like a mobile phone.

You can even buy capacitor kits for many brands and models of TV on ebay or even Amazon these days, but is cheaper to buy what you need from somewhere like RS components or CPC. (">
    Last edited by BigBird; 22nd August 2012 at 02:40 AM.

19 Thanks given to BigBird

Show/Hide list of the thanked

blaggard (16th September 2012),  charlievarley (15th September 2012),  DejaVu (22nd August 2012),  DelTrotter (24th August 2012),  Doctor Who (22nd August 2012),  EvilBoB (22nd August 2012),  evilsatan (22nd August 2012),  greens117 (22nd August 2012),  H4ss4n (22nd August 2012),  harryb (23rd August 2012),  lithho (16th October 2013),  littlebilly1 (23rd August 2012),  Mystical_2K (22nd August 2012),  nsw9154 (26th May 2014),  Raptor (28th March 2015),  ss30 (22nd August 2012),  the.insane (23rd August 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (22nd August 2012),  Zoots (22nd August 2012)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

Some really handy information there BigBird (I knew most of of it anyway), but a great reference post for the future.

However, Not ALL capacitors that are slightly bulging are faulty. Yes, they maybe on there way out, but just because they are not flat, doesn't mean they are not working.

Testing Capacitors is not as straight forward as using a multimeter, but swapping out any swollen capacitors is always a good place to start - this also goes for anything electrical - including Motherboard, GPU Cards, Irons, Washing Machines, Industrial Sex Toys etc etc.

Thanks to DejaVu

BigBird (22nd August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

yes what i usually find is their is a kit on ebay for that specific TV with all the caps that tend to go faulty and a diagram. You pay a bit more than buying the caps your self but its so much easier for the sake of £5 extra.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've made this a sticky, thanks for sharing.

Thanks to evilsatan

BigBird (22nd August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had this problem last year with my sons Samsung LCD...3 dodgy caps.

This is a common problem with Samsung's and due to the number of complaints they have had they may repair your tv for free if this is the fault..

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...-suit-follows/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Isn't a broken TV a great excuse to get that bigger better one you were after?
    (money permitting of course)
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

3 Thanks given to Soulassassin

the.insane (23rd August 2012),  Tim.Lad (23rd August 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (22nd August 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    However, Not ALL capacitors that are slightly bulging are faulty. Yes, they maybe on there way out, but just because they are not flat, doesn't mean they are not working.
    I agree, but as you say they are probably on the way out so may as well change them anyway or you will be taking the back off again in a few months. Always a possibility that you change them only to find there is a more serious fault. But even if you then decide to scrap it you have only lost a couple of quid but have gained some experience. The odds are well stacked in your favour that it is the capacitors anyway so for the cost involved it is definitely worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulassassin
    Isn't a broken TV a great excuse to get that bigger better one you were after?

Maybe. But if the TV is a better model than one somewhere else in the house then for a couple of quid isn't it worth repairing so you can swap it over when you upgrade anyway? And if it isn't a better model I'm sure there is someone you know that would appreciate it and buy you a couple of pints or love you forever if you offer it to them. And if you haven't done it before, you have at least gained some experience and confidence in repairing TV's as well as impressing your family and/or friends. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good info mate Much appreciated. I have a laptop with a display that doesn't work anymore. Think I'll give this a look at seeing as it's quite an expensive model.

Fairly sure the screen is okay - you can almost make out the display from certain angles - it just isn't lit up.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the info, never considered trying to repair a TV (dunno why i repair most other things) but i just never expected alot of the problems to be so simple
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    I have a laptop with a display that doesn't work anymore.... you can almost make out the display from certain angles - it just isn't lit up.
    That sounds more like a knackered Inverter board to me mate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DejaVu; 22nd August 2012 at 11:35 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

My dad has a Hanspree 32 inch that turns on has sound but no picture so I'm gonna give this a go. Cheers
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    Good info mate Much appreciated. I have a laptop with a display that doesn't work anymore. Think I'll give this a look at seeing as it's quite an expensive model.

Fairly sure the screen is okay - you can almost make out the display from certain angles - it just isn't lit up.
    Nowhere near as easy as repairing a TV. Not had much experience in laptop repair but in my opinion, if it is a faulty inverter you would have to change the whole inverter board. Forget trying to look for failed capacitors to change. (">

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by satzzz View Post
    My dad has a Hanspree 32 inch that turns on has sound but no picture so I'm gonna give this a go. Cheers
    The first board to look at is lovingly known as a VO (Video Output) Board.
    I repaired a Samsung a while back that had a dodgy picture by replacing that board, thanks to the help from Braymond!

Sourcing stuff like that on eBay is daunting, but make sure to do your homework before committing. You could be wasting your money.
    Service Manuals are a god send for this.

Obviously, check the capacitors first too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just done a 42" TV with the not powering on problem. 3 caps blown, got replacements from ebay and swapped out. Works as before now. Cost of parts was £4.65 inc. delivery, not bad.

The TV was a Technika make for Tesco's, but as with a lot of these unusual makes, it contained a well known make screen (Samsung in this one).
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Repair your own LCD TV for less than a couple of quid and no special skills.

My mother in law has a Sammy plasma that gives sound but no picture, was thinking of pulling it apart and having a look ages ago, reading this thread has convinced me it's definitely worth doing, need to do some practice soldering first though

Sent From Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a 42" (well my parents do) that has a green tint on the VGA input, and one dead HDMI input, though the 2 faults happened at seperate times so not sure if related as the VGA went first then months later the HDMI went.

TV works perfect other than these 2 (annoying!) faults.

Wondering if this could be caps or something simple like your OP or does it sound like something more in depth?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've done my lg tv this way, got the kit off eBay for about a tenner.
    Wouldn't power up, swapped the caps and jobs a good un.
    As for that laptop it deffo sounds like the inverter board. Really easy to replace, just plug a cable into each end of it. Usually located below the screen. Got to be worth a punt for about a tenner off eBay.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Done three Samsung tvs fixing this way and another which was the lcd board, I would never buy a Samsung tv again !!

Handspree, techinka,beko,teco and about another three budget makes use alot of samsung tubes and parts

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know the sight of a bulging capacitor well from PC motherboards, nice to know it's similar story here. Will keep this in mind, great tip!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very usefull info cheers for sharing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast