Close

Thread: outside tap.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default outside tap.

Hi all,

I have recently moved in to a new house, and would like to fit a outside tap, there is pipework outside for the tap, but no tap connected, and nothing for a new tap to screw into, i have not yet tried to see if there is a switch off valve under the sink as there was a new kitchen fitted and everything is covered by the units the only access i have is to turn the water off to the sink, so im going to need to somehow pull out the one unit carcuss to see if theres a switch off valve, if there is and it works, how would i go about attaching a outside tap, i have no plumbing skills, but have noticed you can buy alot of push type plastic fittings, so could this be a possibility?

please see photos,

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default outside tap.

I installed one of the B&Q kits that comes with a self cutting tap that I attached directly to the cold water pipe that goes to the sink, all in it took all of 25 mins to fully install mate (including securing the tap to the external wall), with no plumbing knowledge in the slightest.

Sent From TapaTalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: outside tap.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebilly1 View Post
    I installed one of the B&Q kits that comes with a self cutting tap that I attached directly to the cold water pipe that goes to the sink, all in it took all of 25 mins to fully install mate (including securing the tap to the external wall), with no plumbing knowledge in the slightest.
    This is what i orignally bought, but ended up using it for my washing machine in outhouse, not bad for a tenner, i have the smallest leak, it will probaly take about a year to fill the bowl thats under it, if i tighten it any more im scared the pipe will crush and collapse!

If the plumbing is already installed and theres a shut off valve i should be halfway there and all i need to do is fit the tap part which im unsure about, if its not and its just old plumbing which is not connected, for the sake of £40 labour ill get a plumber out.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You'll need to removed the fucked bit of copper pipe first, or better still the whole elbow. .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah need to get that pipe thats sticking out the wall sorted, the 2nd pics looks like an old mans knob sticking thru a glory hole lol ;-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    yeah need to get that pipe thats sticking out the wall sorted, the 2nd pics looks like an old mans knob sticking thru a glory hole lol ;-)
    How would YOU know huh???
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

greens117 (6th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get a blow torch on the elbow, heat it up and remove it with pipe grips.
    Keep the pipe hot and attach a 15mm straight coupler and enough pipe to house an olive and nut that will push back flat against the wall.
    Attach a screw on tap (using ptfe tape), lock off with spanner / grips then screw the tap to the wall.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You've got an open ended pipe, so you must have a isolation valve behind your units somewhere. The outside tap has been ripped off the wall by the look of what you have been left with. You need to cut out the back board of your kitchen unit to see what is going on behind there. Tbh m8 the plumbing should be accessible inside the cupboard, take the plinths off and see if you can see anything from there. To renew you can heat up and sweat the elbow off and replace with a compression one if your plumbing skills are no good, but you have to find the supply pipe and isolation valve to re-instate the water supply to it.

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

didnt realise i had reply, so thanks guys, ive sorted it now, i ripped the back boards of the cupboards, no isolation valve or anything, so i went to work with the pipe that was in the wall, and eventually got it out, its all old and the wall was filled in, so i knocked it thru and got the old hole back, and fitted the b&q self cutting tap kit, after piddling about and getting the stupid little leaks sorted its now done, so keeping an eye on every day to make sure theres no leaks etc

not sure what will happen in the winter as the self kit is hose pipe from the outside tap to the inside to the self cutting tap, hopefully wont freeze, expand and split....

thanks for all you help guys!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you're not going to use it over winter then you're best draining the hose, turn the water off at the self-cutting adapter and open the outside tap. I'd leave it open too..

Mike.

Social Networking Bookmarks