Close

Thread: hows my grass?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help hows my grass?

This has been 3 weeks as of monday.
    used johnsons tuff grass, no weeds visable so must have done good on the prep !!
    Looks ok but a little patchy, i followed instructions on box, went up and down and then across, we have tried to keep kids off best we can, we have no birds nicking the seeds, and i dont think any slug attacks.

should i leave longer to germinate or buy a small box and put more seed down on these areas, weve been having ok weather, lately been a little cold at night and some morning dew, but im watering when looking dry... when we had a week of nice warm weather i watered up to 3 times daily

any tips? except from get the kids balls off the grass

cheers

Attachment 26039

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: hows my grass?

I was always told it's better not to water too much, then the roots have to go deeper looking for it. Not sure if it's true but sounds reasonable

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah, i understand, thats why when it was really warm i used a water can and sprinkled it in the morning / dinner / night as it was drying out really quick, now the temps have dropped i have am doing it once a day as the water looks like its holding and the soil looks nice.

just not sure on the patcy parts, photo looks worse than what it is, the germination period should be over now, its been nearly 21 days. and weve had some cracking weather to help it along.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've recently sorted out my front garden too. Rotovated in May

To be honest, it looks like you may not have put enough seed down in the first place.
    You have to be very liberal with grass seed if you want quick, good results.

It will fill the patches, but will take a long time. I doubled the recommended seeding dosage when I did mine and it's not patchy at all.

Always better to do more than not enough.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

im going to go and buy another box now today, get the mrs to cart me down the diy shop, get the seed down. im no sure if its called over seeding.... shall google it now,

did you use a rotivator? i done mine by fork, took me 2 afternoons, christ what a back breaking job!

just been out to inspect, i found 2 weeds! bastards, i literally dug down 9 inches and turned it all over, and took all the weeds and roots out.

i found some really nice patchy parts of grass to, so hopefully all will turn out well!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, completed the whole lawn in 1 afternoon. Rotovated the lot.

You are right though, it's called Overseeding and is for best to do for good results, but can be expensive. I know we spent loads on grass seed, but I forget how much TBH.

Also, with more grass than weeds, the grass grows that thick that weeds have a harder time to spring up.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

just overseeded mine, or should i say the mrs while i sat and watched, give it a good coating and a watering, one morning we'll wake up and there will be a full lawn :O) (hopefully)

Had a little left and scattered some on the front lawn just to brighten it up, it cost me £13.99 a box, which covers 60sqm, used two boxes so far, but that should be it, i have seen them a little cheaper in some places but only like a quid or two quid cheaper, and this place was closer so £13.99 is not bad, even x2 boxes (£27.98) is cheaper than turfing it!