Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky News US Gun Control Plans Coming 'By Tuesday'

US Gun Control Plans Coming 'By Tuesday'

The vice president's promise comes as police said at least two people were shot at a central California high school.

6:07pm UK, Thursday 10 January 2013

Mr Biden has called guns "a complicated issue"

US Vice President Joe Biden has said he will provide the president with recommendations to curb gun violence within the next five days.
    Mr Biden said he would send the results of his probe into the hot-button issue to President Barack Obama soon, as the response to the Newtown school massacre gathers momentum.
    "I have committed to him I will have his recommendations to him by Tuesday," Biden said on Thursday, ahead of a meeting with sportsman and hunting organisations as part of his wide-ranging investigation into the causes and impact of firearms abuse.
    The promise came as police announced that at least two people were shot on Thursday at Taft High School in central California.
    One victim was airlifted to hospital while the other declined medical treatment; police said a shooter had been arrested.

Former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords with husband Mark Kelly Mr Biden said the recommendations for the president would be ideas gleaned from the various groups he has been meeting with in recent weeks.
    He hinted that his ideas could include new restrictions on high capacity ammunition magazines and more comprehensive background checks for gun buyers.
    He is meeting with groups ranging from victims of gun violence to members of America's powerful gun lobby as part of his look into how the country deals with guns.
    The vice president is due to talk with representatives from the National Rifle Association, which opposes reforms like the reinstatement of an assault weapons ban - and has called for armed guards in all US schools.

Adam Lanza and his mother, Nancy Lanza

Biden and other White House officials have also met mental health advocates to try to figure out how to make it harder for disturbed people to get firearms.
    On Wednesday Mr Biden said Mr Obama may take executive action intended to prevent gun attacks.
    The vice president's involvement in this task force comes in response to the December massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, where 20 children and six staff members were killed by a 20-year-old gunman.
    Adam Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14 after killing his mother, Nancy Lanza, at her home. He later killed himself.
    He had taken his mother's guns, including a rifle which fires 20 to 30 rounds at a fast pace.
    The AR-15 style rifle Lanza used is America's most popular rifle. It is also the weapon most commonly used in mass shootings in the US and is the same as the one used by the gunman in the cinema shooting in Aurora, Colorado.

http://news.sky.com/story/1036363/us...ing-by-tuesday
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: US Gun Control Plans Coming 'By Tuesday'

Doubt they will get much through

NRA: 100,000 new members after Sandy Hook shooting

The National Rifle Association has gained more than 100,000 new members in the past 18 days, the organization told POLITICO’s Playbook on Thursday.

The number of paid new members jumped from 4.1 million to 4.2 million during that time.

Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

There will be riots on the streets if assault rifles are banned. Not much I credit the UK for, but banning handguns after Dunblane was a good move. Although the majority of the people were for it here, where as the majority in America would be against it from what I gather.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    There will be riots on the streets if assault rifles are banned. Not much I credit the UK for, but banning handguns after Dunblane was a good move. Although the majority of the people were for it here, where as the majority in America would be against it from what I gather.
    It's a minority making a lot of noise in reality.

NRA membership 4.2 million.

USA population 314 million.

That's even if the figures for the membership are not just complete bullshit !

The number of NRA members is unclear. One NRA website says it’s “approximately 4.3 million.” On another, it’s “nearly four million.” A “sponsorship prospectus” for the group’s 2012 annual meeting offers ad placements in e-mails that will be sent to the “house file of 2 million NRA members.”
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...ootings/60185/
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks to 4me2

Geko (10th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Completely deluded that these people think that everyone having a gun is great.

Mind you, I suppose I have no more right to tell them how to live their lives, than Obama does to tell us to stay in the EU.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    It's a minority making a lot of noise in reality.

NRA membership 4.2 million.

USA population 314 million.

That's even if the figures for the membership are not just complete bullshit !

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...ootings/60185/

I hope so. I was having a debate on some other forums regarding the poor gun control in the USA and the majoirty (about 99%) of US members were in support of keeping the gun laws as it currently is and talking the usual second amendment rubbish. I have US based friends on facebook who talk out against gun ownership and are targetted by their "friends" for their views.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think we can really appreciate what the 2nd amendment means to some in the US. In the Red states, where belonging to the Union is not through choice for many, they have a long history of mistrusting Government. The biggest reason they want to be armed to the teeth is because they have a deep paranoia that the Federal Government will take away their guns and then the United Nations will impose a communist regime on them. They are bombarded with fear based rhetoric on a daily basis from their radio hosts, Fox news, their pastors, preachers and clergymen and their politicians about what the liberals are going to do to their way of life, given half the chance.

This is as much about gun control as it is about the Mason-Dixon line.

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Americans shooting each other, or Americans rioting over gun control proposals and shooting each other...

Win Win, surely?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I don't think we can really appreciate what the 2nd amendment means to some in the US. In the Red states, where belonging to the Union is not through choice for many, they have a long history of mistrusting Government. The biggest reason they want to be armed to the teeth is because they have a deep paranoia that the Federal Government will take away their guns and then the United Nations will impose a communist regime on them. They are bombarded with fear based rhetoric on a daily basis from their radio hosts, Fox news, their pastors, preachers and clergymen and their politicians about what the liberals are going to do to their way of life, given half the chance.

spot on

i live in the south and they're fucking mental

Thanks to Raptor

dpSparhawk (11th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by I Black Belt View Post
    Americans shooting each other, or Americans rioting over gun control proposals and shooting each other...

Win Win, surely?
    OI !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Americans are now flocking to the gun stores and arming themselves to the teeth. Even people who have never owned guns before. It's going to be the old wild west all over again but with a modern twist. "That knob next door has just bought an automatic rifle, I saw him cleaning it on the porch. I'm just popping down to the store to get an even bigger one just in case he ever decides to threaten me about our tree blocking out his daylight". It will be like James Woods and Randy Quaid in the 1994 film 'Next Door', but with guns. (">

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110656/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post

Basically it's the KKK and the like wanting to keep hold of their toys.