Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Europe looks at Apple warranties

The advice Apple gives to customers about warranties is being probed across Europe.

The way Apple tells customers about product warranties is being scrutinised across Europe.

The European Commission has asked members to find out if Apple is letting customers know about their right to a minimum two-year warranty.

Consumer groups in 11 nations have complained that Apple has emphasised its own after-care service over statutory protections.

Apple said its service gave different protections to customers.

Bloomberg reported that Europe's Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has written to member states to check if Apple's advertising mentioned the two-year minimum warranty.

Ms Reding said in many cases Apple was only mentioning the one-year warranty it offered rather than the statutory protection. "These are unacceptable marketing practices," wrote Ms Reding.

An Apple spokesman declined to comment but referred Bloomberg to information about statutory protections on its website.

In late 2011, Apple was fined £750,000 (900,000 euros; $1.21m) by Italian competition authorities who argued in court that it had not done enough to let people know about their rights under EU consumer laws.

Those laws say firms must replace a product if it does not work when it is first taken out of its box and switched on. By contrast, Apple's paid-for service contract provides for a replacement if the gadget breaks once it starts to be used.

BBC News Technology

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Europe looks at Apple warranties

I have had such a good experience with the Apple Warranty, replaced MacBook, work done OUTSIDE Warranty free, replaced iPad 11 Months into AppleCare, replaced iMac at 36Months (24 inch to i5 27inch just last December) replaced Mouse (twice, once without returning the faulty mouse) and a replaced keyboard. Most of these were for faults that would have had most companies scrabbling around offering half arsed repairs. I always buy AppleCare because it beats the crap out of the supplied Warranty AND statutory rights, if only they made fridges and Washing Machines!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    I have had such a good experience with the Apple Warranty, replaced MacBook, work done OUTSIDE Warranty free, replaced iPad 11 Months into AppleCare, replaced iMac at 36Months (24 inch to i5 27inch just last December) replaced Mouse (twice, once without returning the faulty mouse) and a replaced keyboard. Most of these were for faults that would have had most companies scrabbling around offering half arsed repairs. I always buy AppleCare because it beats the crap out of the supplied Warranty AND statutory rights, if only they made fridges and Washing Machines!
    WOW ! You've had a lot of faults with Apple products !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had a good number of Apple products and can hand on heart say the only issue that I've had was with the bluetooth on my iPhone 3G (11 Months old!) ... when I went in to see about it they took a single look at a small crack near the dock connector and issued me a replacement.

This article confuses me, is it saying that we actually have two-year warranty coverage rather than the single year that I thought we had?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    WOW ! You've had a lot of faults with Apple products !
    They have always responded brilliantly, imagine just about ANY other Company. Most of the grief was with a local service agent (200yards away so handy until I realised they were the problem)
    The point here is that NEW replacements were given, no argument, that's PROPER CS!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a faulty iPhone but they gave me a refurb. Mind you it was in good nick !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    these apple products dont go wrong much then or is it a myth?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Europe looks at Apple warranties

Must admit never had a problem. I took an apple remote in the other day which they swapped without asking me how old it was. Brilliant service second only to lego as a company with great cs.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Europe looks at Apple warranties

They would not do anything with my 3G after there software upgrade left it stuck in searching and no it was not jail broken
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Applecare on my Macbook Pro expired on the 10th September, and just this week I've started to experience higher than normal fan noise. It looks like a common issue on >3 year old notebooks and could be due to the thermal paste drying up, or the fan blades being clogged. Would it be worth chancing it with Apple?
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was in the Apple store last week with an iPhone 3GS that's hung on upgrading to iOS6. Literally told tough.
    That being said though, I've heard of great things about Apple's CS.

If Apple is being probed, so should all the manufacturers' IMO.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I was in the Apple store last week with an iPhone 3GS that's hung on upgrading to iOS6. Literally told tough.
    That being said though, I've heard of great things about Apple's CS.

If Apple is being probed, so should all the manufacturers' IMO.
    If it's not got Applecare then it is a very long way out of Warranty, they have to draw the line somewhere.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    The Applecare on my Macbook Pro expired on the 10th September, and just this week I've started to experience higher than normal fan noise. It looks like a common issue on >3 year old notebooks and could be due to the thermal paste drying up, or the fan blades being clogged. Would it be worth chancing it with Apple?
    Definitely, start with tech support and point out that it seems to be a known fault. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

GTI (2nd October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    Must admit never had a problem. I took an apple remote in the other day which they swapped without asking me how old it was. Brilliant service second only to lego as a company with great cs.

I'll bite.... haha.