Close

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: little girl gone missing in wales

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Has changed a lot. When I was five (1964), we all walked to school which was over a quarter of a mile away. also went to the park on our own and to the local shop and walked to my cousins house which again was around the same distance. Was a large village but much less cars on the road then and much less deranged sickos about. These days I wouldn't leave a five year old outside the front gate.

Saw three kids aged around eight out in town last year at three in the morning. Fuck knows who was supposed to be looking after them. I phoned the police who promptly came along and picked them up. (">
    I can't imagine there were much less deranged sickos about, there was probably just as many (Remember, the Moors murders were carried out between 1963 and 1965) but there was probably certainly much less media coverage about then I guess and also in some respects, much less cars as you state to the taking of a child was probably (possibly) not as easy as it is now. There's too much happening in the world and often things can happen in the blink of an eye and go completely unnoticed.

I know I used to play in the street with my mate at the age of 6 but we were only ever 15 yards away from our homes as we lived a couple of doors away so really, our parents could see us all the time. When we got a bit older we'd venture into the next street. hehe, I'll never forget the way our parents would shout from the front door that our tea was ready. We might have been in the next road but we were always close enough to hear it.

I have a 4 year old and he'll not be allowed to play outside by himself for a long time yet. If he wants to go play in a friends house, there'll be a period of parent attendance for some time up until I'm content he's safe and he'll be walked there and walked back. If anything were to ever happen to him, the fucker that did it better be good at running because I'd be coming after him/her with a hammer to make Thor's look like a fucking toy.

Very very sad situation regards this little girl and I hope beyond anything they find her safe but things don't look good

Thanks
    Karma Level

Everyone likes to think it used to be safer but it wasn't the statistics actually prove it's a bit safer now than 40 years ago.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

BFG (3rd October 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember when I was a small kid, roughly 7 or 8 - the builders were extending the car park at the pub at the top of my street and they used to start early. I used to get up, get dressed and let myself out of the house, go to the end of the street and climb a tree to watch the diggers.

That wasn't parental neglect, it was me using my being a little bugger... using my nugget to stand on a chair and take the top bolt out, unlock the door and post the key behind me, and bugger off for a few hours. I used to leave my parents a note of sorts to say where I was going though. That would have been around 1980, and I know for a fact there were wierdos around then. You're too trusting as a kid, that's part of the problem.

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Everyone likes to think it used to be safer but it wasn't the statistics actually prove it's a bit safer now than 40 years ago.
    I suppose you do get a distorted view when looking back, especially as the past was seen through the eyes of a child. I still believe it was much safer then though. As I recall there was always some adult around, cleaning their windows or washing the front step and brushing the pavement. people would also stand at the door talking, or sit outside the front door on a chair and talk to people going past.
    There were men walking home from work and people waiting for a bus or just getting off a bus and walking home. buses were every half hour then to all four of the nearest towns, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llanelli, and Swansea (yes, Swansea was a town then). These days buses are much less frequent and most people travel by car which takes them to their door. No more walking to and from the bus stop or walking to and from the local shop. There were also a few permanently stationed council workers travelling back and forth to their local lock up and workshop whilst carrying out repairs on the local council housing stock.

When I was walking home from school there were two old ladies at different points of the journey who used to stand outside their front doors and give us a sweet or a piece of fruit as we walked past. I believe we were quite safe as we were always within view of some adults wherever we were in the village and at any time of the day.

These days people are too wrapped up in their TV's, computers, and in some cases drink, and drugs. Village life is very different these days and people keep to themselves much more, even in close knit communities. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the reason it's perceived to have been much safer 30-40 years ago as a child was because there were a lot more children who were playing out etc, therefore lessening the odds on being picked on by a sicko.
    These days, the parents, sometimes considered over protective (and I am one myself), don't allow their children the freedom that children once had, therefore the ones where the parents arent quite so protective become more likely to fall prey to someone, purely on the basis of there is less to select from.......if that makes any sense...
    That's how I see it anyway.

Thanks to tronads

honestDave (4th October 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default little girl gone missing in wales

There was an attempted child abduction less than 200 yards from my mrs nan's house a few months back, there was a group of 4-5 young girls (all cousins) who were playing in the front garden of their nan's house while their parents were all inside less than 10 yards away, and yet I still see kids of 5-7 years old walking round here on there own or in a group of 2-3 of them, it's absolutely disgusting to think that there parents are letting this happen knowing what has happened so close to their own homes

Sent From TapaTalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    we need to ask ourselves what has made it this way?

I would say the world probably hasn't changed that much. We are all shit scared to let our kids out of our sight because the media tells us there is a pervert on every corner. But is there really? When was the last time a child was abducted in this country?

Although you do hear more often of a car pulling up outside a school and allegedly attempting to take kids into the car. A child was running 50 yards or so in front of his mum, at my son's school. A car pulled up and asked him if he wanted to go to Disneyland. I wonder how we would have judged that parent on here? But.... It's scary stuff. Are children are the most precious thing in the world to us. If something happened to my son, my reason for life would be gone...!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Supt John said police were expecting intelligence arising from further interviews with the man in custody to drive the search operation.
    That sounds to me like they've got a general location of a body. More mention of the river and wanting people to stay away from it sounds very ominous.

2 Thanks given to Zoots

Detector (3rd October 2012),  littlebilly1 (3rd October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    Just watched the press conference..."we will be speaking to the suspect tonight"....erm they arrested him at 15:30....surely they should have been waterboarding him at 15:31 ! Time is of the essence here !
    You are implying the police do some work there...

I'm surprised the police didn't turn this into a media circus as well. Show them in some kind of heroic light for saving a little girl. Now it seems like she may be dead they will avoid this and hope there is nothing they can be blamed for.

Thus they will be cautious about releasing information or arresting the wrong person or screwing up the evidence.

I know this sounds like I am an anti-police maniac, but the reality is the met hires PR people to do just this sort of thing. Just like when the two women coppers got shot, the media coverage was overwhelming. A desperate attempt to regain their image after the damning reports from Hillsborough.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Detector (3rd October 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They have now asked the public to stay away and no longer assist in the search...this definitely suggests that there is now going to be evidence they dont want disturbing....very worrying indeed.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

so its looking like i was right about it all.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very sad. They never recover them alive in these cases. I hope they get the right person and he gets the right punishment, either by the system, or by others.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    I know this sounds like I am an anti-police maniac
    Don't worry mate, just PMed madmanc a link to this thread.

Thanks to BertRoot

DJ OD (3rd October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do think in instances like this that the people arrested and helping with enquiries should be kept quiet until the evidence is concrete.

It has happened a few times where names have been released only for the person to be innocent. However that persons life is never the same as simple minded people think it is acceptable to punish them because they were arrested on suspicion.

In this case it does seem like the person they have is likely to be the one, but still we always as the public have the guilty until proven innocent attitude.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

cassy34 (3rd October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

They've released a bit more information about the case now and The Press have run a picture of the guy arrested. Probably sourced from facebook, a skill all "good" journalists are displaying these days....

Thanks
    Karma Level

And does he look like a proper Paedophile with the image blurred slightly etc.... That is normally how they do these things.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    so its looking like i was right about it all.
    "It is likely that we are going to find somebody in the search parameter where she was last seen," Supt John said.
    Ugh. Just a matter of time before they discover a body I suspect.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    And does he look like a proper Paedophile with the image blurred slightly etc.... That is normally how they do these things.

Not really. He has a goatee. Which is always a hint, I believe.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the police have closed off airspace to everyone but emergency services so they dont see any so called 'sensitive' materials. me thinks they know a lot more than they are letting on.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks to Detector

Geko (3rd October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently this suspect was named by the parents the night the daughter was taken. So it is a very strange case.

Thanks to Geko

Detector (3rd October 2012)  

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast