Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help virus on laptop , how to get rid of it ?

hello again , you's are probably sick of hearing from me now lol , ive got a virus on my laptop , ive must ov downloaded something s**t , anyway , its making it run really slow and when im on fb or whatever and i open a new tab then sometimes it will change both tabs to the same if you get what im saying ? also ive had to write this on notepad and copy it onto here as it would of taken me a week to complete as i have to keep doubling back on what ive wrote as it misses loads of letters and full words out , the cursor flash just sticks and you have to wait ages so you can start typing , i would be really grateful for any help as my norton 360 doesnt pick it up , the laptop is a dell inspiron 1545 running on vista , also system restore doesnt work either , any help would be really appreciated , thanks for your time.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: virus on laptop , how to get rid of it ?

Not a Virus. If it was a Virus, I'm certain you'd know about it - your Laptop would be doing more than just running slow. It's a common misconception.

Probably more like Malware.

Sounds like a shit system full of crap and bloated software.
    What's your Homepage/Search results from? Conduit... MyWebSearch... Bearshare...?

Try running in 'Safe Mode with Networking' (Keep tapping F8 whilst PC Loads til it gives you the option).
    If the Laptop is still sluggish in Safe Mode, it's because it's full of junk.
    While in Safe Mode with Networking, install Malwarebytes, update it and run a 'Quick Scan'.
    Enjoy the collosal amount of threats it'll find (my highest I've ever seen on a customers system is 4,092).
    Remove everything it finds and reboot the system... At least that's a start and speed up some things.

Vista + Norton 360 on a Dell Inspiron 1545 is a going to run like shit - unless your running more than 2GB of RAM?
    The Laptop is not just not powerful enough to cope with a diabolical Operating System and the over-bloated Anti-Virus program you're running.

You ARE better off installing Ubuntu if you do not want to pay for Window 7/8 and are just looking to surf the web and do menial tasks on it.
    Far more stable than Vista on that spec system.

Remove Norton immediately and go with MSE or Avast - which a free and better than Norton.

At your earliest convenience, upgrade to Windows 7 - or downgrade to Windows XP.
    Even Microsoft have now admitted Vista was a load of crap!

You could as a last resort - and as much as it pains me to say it - restore your PC back to factory settings (Vista) like it was when you pulled it out of the original box...?

Thanks to DejaVu

Mickey (8th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the advice i will download antimalware bytes and give it a whirl now

Thanks
    Karma Level

Format and reinstall.

By the time you've fucked about running virus scans, anti-malware scans, you could have probably re-installed the OS. Then install a decent AV other than the Norton bloatware shite. As mentioned above MSE is a good option.

If ever anyone brings a PC to me for virus removal, I just tell them, I ain't backing your shit up, I ain't going to try and remove it, give me recovery discs, OS discs and I'll format/reinstall.

Thanks
    Karma Level

RKill and combofix ( Free from bleeping computers ) followed by an up to date scan with malware bytes, then install smart secure from eset... Sorted for good

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    Format and reinstall.

By the time you've fucked about running virus scans, anti-malware scans, you could have probably re-installed the OS. Then install a decent AV other than the Norton bloatware shite. As mentioned above MSE is a good option.

If ever anyone brings a PC to me for virus removal, I just tell them, I ain't backing your shit up, I ain't going to try and remove it, give me recovery discs, OS discs and I'll format/reinstall.
    Totally agree with you on this. I do however back up their data first using something like Spotmau which runs under DOS. As for removing the virus or malware forget it. You can spend ages trying to remove it only to end up doing a reformat and reinstall in the end. If the computer hasn't had a reformat for a couple of years then may as well do it now anyway because it is well overdue and should make a big difference to the performance. (">

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

installing a new os if usually best but after 20 minutes of installing you got days of updates.

Go with what dejavu has said

install malewarebytes - cleans up the bloat/maleware
    install ccleaner - clean up all your junk files
    run regedit - get rid of all the startup you dont need

run both

Job done

job done

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    installing a new os if usually best but after 20 minutes of installing you got days of updates.
    I set up a wsus server at home to help with these - a fresh pc can pull 500mb worth of updates in less than 10 secs.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For you yes. Good idea. But were all not gifted matey

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Apart from antivirus and flash player I've never done an update of anything ever, and have never had any problems. Everything runs smooth and fast even after 2/3+ years. Anyway most of my software isn't 'compatible' with performing updates.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ubuntu.
    I don't know why people bother with Windows if all they are going to do is web browse and some word processing.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Free registry fixer http://download.cnet.com/Free-Window...-10606555.html

This works great . Run this once you have removed any nastys .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Ubuntu.
    I don't know why people bother with Windows if all they are going to do is web browse and some word processing.

I agree... but the OP didn't mention their usage , just what they were trying. It might be that the laptop is used for gaming or other specific tasks that are caught up in the "have to run on Windows" trap. Plus, lots of people don't understand or are "frightened" of *nix / *nux OS's even when using a GUI.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks again , ive done what you said and now its running spot on again , well 100% better than it was but could still be better but like you said vista is a pile ov s**t
    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Not a Virus. If it was a Virus, I'm certain you'd know about it - your Laptop would be doing more than just running slow. It's a common misconception.

Probably more like Malware.

Sounds like a shit system full of crap and bloated software.
    What's your Homepage/Search results from? Conduit... MyWebSearch... Bearshare...?

Try running in 'Safe Mode with Networking' (Keep tapping F8 whilst PC Loads til it gives you the option).
    If the Laptop is still sluggish in Safe Mode, it's because it's full of junk.
    While in Safe Mode with Networking, install Malwarebytes, update it and run a 'Quick Scan'.
    Enjoy the collosal amount of threats it'll find (my highest I've ever seen on a customers system is 4,092).
    Remove everything it finds and reboot the system... At least that's a start and speed up some things.

Vista + Norton 360 on a Dell Inspiron 1545 is a going to run like shit - unless your running more than 2GB of RAM?
    The Laptop is not just not powerful enough to cope with a diabolical Operating System and the over-bloated Anti-Virus program you're running.

You ARE better off installing Ubuntu if you do not want to pay for Window 7/8 and are just looking to surf the web and do menial tasks on it.
    Far more stable than Vista on that spec system.

Remove Norton immediately and go with MSE or Avast - which a free and better than Norton.

At your earliest convenience, upgrade to Windows 7 - or downgrade to Windows XP.
    Even Microsoft have now admitted Vista was a load of crap!

You could as a last resort - and as much as it pains me to say it - restore your PC back to factory settings (Vista) like it was when you pulled it out of the original box...?